Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any Cheap eBook Readers Out There?

Offline Thargor

Any Cheap eBook Readers Out There?
on: July 05, 2007, 05:28:33 PM
Im looking for a little tablet thing that you can stick ebooks on a sim card or on board memory, this Sony one would be ideal but it goes for about $300:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Reader

Anybody ever see a cheap rip-off anywhere? I could use my DS I suppose but I want one with good battery life that displays stuff page by page and can save your location and all that...

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Any Cheap eBook Readers Out There?
Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 05:38:45 PM
Get yourself a Palm Pilot or Pocket PC.  Some of them are not absurdly expensive and at least you get additional function for the money.  I don't know where I'd be without mine.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Thargor

Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 05:57:18 PM
Thats a very good idea actually, okay new question, whats the cheapest possible PDA I can get thats not a total piece of crap?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 08:35:28 PM
The Palm E2 is a pretty good machine.  I have been using it's predecessor, the Tungsten E for years no without a problem.

http://www.palm.com/us/products/handhelds/e2/

Pocket PC's are a little pricier, but if you are willing to get one off eBay there's some decent ones to be had.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Thargor

Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 08:52:11 PM
Im looking into it now, thanks def...

Offline ZenEngineer

• Lifetime Leatherman User
Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 07:44:43 AM
Im looking for a little tablet thing that you can stick ebooks on a sim card or on board memory, this Sony one would be ideal but it goes for about $300:

(Image removed from quote.)

Anybody ever see a cheap rip-off anywhere? I could use my DS I suppose but I want one with good battery life that displays stuff page by page and can save your location and all that...

I spent a week reviewing the Sony Reader for a friends magazine.  It's great for what it is and as a voracious book reader it does the job pretty well.  Personally, if the price drops down to $200 I plan to buy one.  Otherwise I'll wait for the next model.  As the e-ink technology matures, the price is bound to drop.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 01:40:08 PM
The readers may get cheaper but the books are going the other way!

When I started with ebooks a few years ago, they were about $3/book on average... now they are up to almost paperback price.  It's a little frustrating.  Fortunately it's still legal to download books, music etc from p2p networks in Canada or I'd be broke!  I also wish Chapters would get into the ebook market- imagine being able to go to your local Chapters store, buy an ebook and load it on your card right there.  I'll bet with that kind of distribution we'd see a significant amount more books in e-format.

Def

Offline Thargor

Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 02:16:55 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

I spent a week reviewing the Sony Reader for a friends magazine.  It's great for what it is and as a voracious book reader it does the job pretty well.  Personally, if the price drops down to $200 I plan to buy one.  Otherwise I'll wait for the next model.  As the e-ink technology matures, the price is bound to drop.
Thats what I was thinking aswell, Im not going to bother with a PDA now because anything with a backlight is going to strain my eyes and its totally unnecessary to do that when I have so many paperbacks lying around that I haven't got a chance to read yet, Ill just wait for the technology to mature like you said, my ideal device would be a super-thin, slightly less than A4 sized reader that could display comic books in the .cbr format correctly aswell, Id pay crazy money for something that could do that.

I do have a flashcart for running homebrew apps and roms on my DS though and there are a number of eBook readers being worked on by a few people, hopefully a good one will be released soon, if any of you have played that Dr. Kawashimas Brain Training game theres a test of your reading skills bit in it where you hold the DS on its side like a book so both screens display a page each and you turn the pages by touching the touch-screen with your thumb, its really comfortable and feels totally natural.

I think I might stretch to $200 myself for that Sony one if the price drops actually, nd I bet it will when the competition start releasing them, iRiver have one on the way soon and there are more in the works.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 09:05:14 PM
Yeah, but can you play Age of Empires on an ebook reader? :P

Def

Offline ZenEngineer

• Lifetime Leatherman User
Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 07:08:08 AM
Yeah, but can you play Age of Empires on an ebook reader? :P

Def

Why would you want to?  If you are going to play games then get something to play games on.  If you like to read a lot then you'll want paper or an e-ink ebook reader.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 12:11:49 PM
I want to have all the options I can to cover whatever I feel like doing while sitting in a waiting room somewhere.  I do that too much these days...  and nothing is more fun than jumping up and swearing at a virtual enemy in a waiting room full of screaming kids!

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%