Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Brand new Farmer got Confiscasted. :(

Offline sappyg

Re: Brand new Farmer got Confiscasted. :(
Reply #30 on: October 20, 2009, 02:32:07 AM
it's a shame about your farmer scannerman... sometimes it's hard to believe things have come to this.
once my family visited the atlanta aquarium and they confescated my boker whitler and lighter at the door. they were more prepared to deal with the issue and actually placed my belongings in an envelope in their holding area and i reclaimed them when we left.
it burns me that the cop stole your farmer. he could have given it back after the game if he was a gentleman.
maybe he lost some money on the spread and needed to recoup his loss.  :D   
i

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #31 on: October 20, 2009, 04:40:02 AM
Too bad I feel for your lost. I wonder whats the safest EDC you can carry without getting confiscated, a knifeless fuse?

I suspect even those would be a no no in games over here.

I think they would be in the States too.  It was a point I had recently about the Knifeless Fuse on another thread.  ANYTHING pointy, not to mention it has scissors on it.
[

us Offline bren10man

Reply #32 on: October 20, 2009, 04:57:27 AM
I bet it winds up in Chako's collection!!!
MOLON LABE!

Offline PoliceScannerMan

Reply #33 on: October 20, 2009, 05:02:49 AM
A call to the University Police Dept today was almost humorous.  I got passed around to about three people, who then fowarded me to a voice mail.  I left a detailed message describing the Farmer ("it has aluminum scales that lack the traditional tweezers and toothpick"  :rofl: ).  Only a MTO member would say that!  :D

Not suprisingly, I never got a call back.  ::)
-

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #34 on: October 21, 2009, 12:07:17 AM
That Cop was showing your, umm I mean, his new knife off to his friends 30 seconds after you left his gate.
[

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #35 on: October 21, 2009, 11:56:32 AM
I really don't see the point in this... you're not boarding an airplane, and how often have you heard of someone being stabbed with a pocket knife at a football (or any other sporting/arena event) A ball point pen is deadly if used correctly, and there are probably thousands of items that can be used as lethal weapons once you get past the security. If someone wants to do something bad, preventing them from carrying in a "pocket knife" is not going to prevent them from achieving their objective.

It's time they quit it with the false sense of security they pretend to provide.

The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #36 on: October 21, 2009, 12:01:32 PM
.......how often have you heard of someone being stabbed with a pocket knife at a football (or any other sporting/arena event)......

Disappointingly often tbh Whoey. Moreso in Italy, Germany, Poland etc than in the UK too.
I used to come here a lot.

Offline andrea.from.roma

Reply #37 on: October 21, 2009, 01:27:29 PM
Even though I generally believe that people should be able to carry pocket knives (obviously), I'm bloody glad that it's hard to take knives into English football matches!

I remember in the early '80s, the thing to do was to tape two craft knifes together, so that the parallel cuts inflicted were difficult to stitch. Frankly, with some of my fellow football supporters, I think they should remove their shoe laces on entry to stadia too.

I know that US games are generally more friendly, family affairs, but here in the UK, the thought of hooligans with knives is frankly scary.

The brainless people who think a soccer game is a battle for life (and a good occasion to stab other people) are familiar to me too, sadly.
Whole different story with rugby matches, though. And I do love rugby. But whatever the sport is, I feel better knowing that any blade is safely left at home. I know it's sad, but I don't trust people,

Anyway, back to the point: sorry for that farmer. It's the law, I know, but I can't stop thinking about that poor lonely farmer, taken away and put in a cold, dark box. It seems like I can even hear it, sobbing.  :-[ ;)
R

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #38 on: October 21, 2009, 03:43:00 PM
Whoey has a very good point about providing a false sense of security.  All this type of security does is stop the knuckleheads from hurting each other.  Before 9/11 what happened when there was a plane hijacked?  In the early years they sat on the same tarmac the terrorists took the plane over at and eventually gave up and the passengers were released.  Then the terrorists stepped it up by trying to find a country that was sympathetic to their cause or at least a place that would let them refuel.  They killed a couple people and either surrendered or were stormed by HRT teams.  The reason the terrorists were able reach their goal on 3 of the 4 planes on 9/11 was because people on those planes never thought what happened to them was going to happen.  It was unprecedented.  The worst case scenario in the past was a few people would be killed but the majority would be rescued.  The reason why Flight 93 didn't reach it's objective was because the passengers realized wasn't going to happen when talking to their family members on cell phones and decided not to die like sheep but to fight for their lives.  If a plane was hijacked today, people would no longer assume they have a chance of surviving it by just keeping quiet and being a good hostage.  Everyone realizes that the bar has been raised and they will fight for their survival.  But people think that police enforcement has to protect the public by taking away small trivial items as a show of force.  That way if something happens and people start pointing fingers at governments and law enforcement they can come back and say they were doing their jobs.  But all it really is, is just a pacifier.  People complain about the hassle but more people would complain if these hassles weren't in place.  It makes them think that someone is doing something.  Sorry for the ramble.   :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 03:45:22 PM by 1jump2many »
[

us Offline Marlinaholic

Reply #39 on: February 14, 2010, 05:44:39 PM
All this fuss about nail clippers, SAKS, ect. is depressing.  They are just tool for goodness sake, and theft by law enforcement is never right, no matter how small the item, when there is ample opportunity to return the item to the owner and the owner can legally posses it outside the event from which it was taken.  Just think about it, what would happen to you if you were at your job and pick pocketed a Vic Farmer from some poor co worker victim and got caught!  Just think about how your life would be ruined for the same essential act that carries no consequence for a law enforcement officer doing the same thing during the course of HIS job.  His job is to confiscate restricted items, but it doesn't include a license to steal, that makes him no better than a pick pocket.  Not one bit.  We need to focus less on confiscating nearly harmless do dads and focus more on enforcing theft laws on EVERYONE.  The law is the law for EVERYONE, police included.    :rant:   

us Offline django.cj

Reply #40 on: February 16, 2010, 08:16:04 PM
All this fuss about nail clippers, SAKS, ect. is depressing.  They are just tool for goodness sake, and theft by law enforcement is never right, no matter how small the item, when there is ample opportunity to return the item to the owner and the owner can legally posses it outside the event from which it was taken.  Just think about it, what would happen to you if you were at your job and pick pocketed a Vic Farmer from some poor co worker victim and got caught!  Just think about how your life would be ruined for the same essential act that carries no consequence for a law enforcement officer doing the same thing during the course of HIS job.  His job is to confiscate restricted items, but it doesn't include a license to steal, that makes him no better than a pick pocket.  Not one bit.  We need to focus less on confiscating nearly harmless do dads and focus more on enforcing theft laws on EVERYONE.  The law is the law for EVERYONE, police included.    :rant:   
I've lost most respect for law enforcement over the years. In the city I just left, he chief was caught selling crack. Bullies and thieves the lot of em, at least here.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: February 16, 2010, 08:18:44 PM
Bad luck mate, but this is the world we live in  :-\

paul

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #42 on: February 17, 2010, 12:04:34 AM

I do agree though, stadiums crowded with emotional fans is no place for knives. :-\
All that does is punish the majority for the actions of a few idiots. 99.9% of people can control their emotions. And people who are the type to get stupid are rarely the type who obey laws anyway.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #43 on: February 17, 2010, 12:09:31 AM

I do agree though, stadiums crowded with emotional fans is no place for knives. :-\
All that does is punish the majority for the actions of a few idiots. 99.9% of people can control their emotions. And people who are the type to get stupid are rarely the type who obey laws anyway.

Hmmmm. You've not been to a European football match have you DTH? :D

Trust me, it ain't the 0.1% you need to worry about. I grant you that it's only usually a few idiots that start it, but mob mentality, genuine "tribal like" emotions etc and those few people can do an awful lot of damage.
I used to come here a lot.

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #44 on: February 17, 2010, 12:43:59 AM
I used to carry my Leatherman or my old Gerber on planes all the time. They wouldn't even ask me about it.

Then 911...

Now I have to check my nose hair scissors.

Funny thing is..  in the days when I could carry my MT on the flight.. if my plane had been hijacked by five guys with box cutters, at least two of them would have been seeing Allah a bit sooner than the other three. Me and my MT aren't going down without a bloody fight.

Now I would be essentially reduced to looking for a makeshift club. Ironic, no?
G

Offline skunkbad

Reply #45 on: February 17, 2010, 10:48:46 AM
I asked a officer when I was leaving, he said it would be at gate 1.  Went to gate one, thery said to call Monday.  Leaving, I saw the cop who took it, he said more than likely it got thrown away.   ::)

Thrown away ... into his pocket!
[

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: February 19, 2010, 03:17:29 PM

Hmmmm. You've not been to a European football match have you DTH? :D

Trust me, it ain't the 0.1% you need to worry about. I grant you that it's only usually a few idiots that start it, but mob mentality, genuine "tribal like" emotions etc and those few people can do an awful lot of damage.
I was referring to games here in America. I guess we don't have as much pent up violence as y'all. Besides, that does kinda prove my point. I'm sure knives are banned there but that doesn't stop any violence. I'm sure all sorts of improvised weapons get brought in.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

Offline Foskey

Reply #47 on: February 19, 2010, 04:16:07 PM
I am from Lake City. About 45 minutes North of Gainesville. I have been in there many times with a pocket knife visibly clipped, and no one has ever said a word. That's a real shame man.

us Offline valvestem125

• You only go this way once.
Reply #48 on: February 19, 2010, 04:24:33 PM
For those who need to "carry" on a plane, you can still carry a plain old Bic stick pen.  These might hurt somewhat going into a highjacker's eyeball.  Remember in school the lectures about how "dangerous ordinary lead pencils were?  Overcome, Adapt, Improvise. >:D

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: February 20, 2010, 12:04:30 AM
For those who need to "carry" on a plane, you can still carry a plain old Bic stick pen.  These might hurt somewhat going into a highjacker's eyeball.  Remember in school the lectures about how "dangerous ordinary lead pencils were?  Overcome, Adapt, Improvise. >:D
I prefer a Super Sharpie. But yeah, I agree. I just think some of these laws are silly. Common sense has been replaced with knee-jerk restrictions that don't help, they just merely give the illusion of helping. For instance....

A couple of weeks ago I had to go to court, I knew you couldn't carry a knife in there so I left mine in the car. But I'm disabled so I had my cane. And it's a nice inch thick oak hardwood cane. It doesn't take much imagination to understand how damaging this could be. I also had my ever present Super Sharpie which makes an excellent improvised kubotan. But I was "officially" weaponless so I was allowed in no questions asked. But right after I got there the guard refuse to allow some old man in because he had a knife. It was one of those small 3 bladed stockman style knives with small non locking blades.

I'm sitting there thinking about how absurd this situation is. I'm disabled but I'm still a reasonably strong 38 year old man, with a pretty damn big stick but somehow I'm less of a threat that an old man who could barely walk, with a small non locking pocketknife. Tell me the logic behind this.

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #50 on: February 20, 2010, 12:22:21 AM
For those who need to "carry" on a plane, you can still carry a plain old Bic stick pen.  These might hurt somewhat going into a highjacker's eyeball.  Remember in school the lectures about how "dangerous ordinary lead pencils were?  Overcome, Adapt, Improvise. >:D
I prefer a Super Sharpie. But yeah, I agree. I just think some of these laws are silly. Common sense has been replaced with knee-jerk restrictions that don't help, they just merely give the illusion of helping. For instance....

A couple of weeks ago I had to go to court, I knew you couldn't carry a knife in there so I left mine in the car. But I'm disabled so I had my cane. And it's a nice inch thick oak hardwood cane. It doesn't take much imagination to understand how damaging this could be. I also had my ever present Super Sharpie which makes an excellent improvised kubotan. But I was "officially" weaponless so I was allowed in no questions asked. But right after I got there the guard refuse to allow some old man in because he had a knife. It was one of those small 3 bladed stockman style knives with small non locking blades.

I'm sitting there thinking about how absurd this situation is. I'm disabled but I'm still a reasonably strong 38 year old man, with a pretty damn big stick but somehow I'm less of a threat that an old man who could barely walk, with a small non locking pocketknife. Tell me the logic behind this.

the inoccent old man could pass it on to a much less innocent younger man thats probably why
I

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: February 20, 2010, 12:34:28 AM
the inoccent old man could pass it on to a much less innocent younger man thats probably why
Regardless, it was still a small non locking knife. It is in no way, shape or form a weapon. Certainly much less so than my cane. That's why I am opposed to banning people from carrying knives in places. It's absurd. If someone is intent on committing a violent crime they're gonna do it, rule or no rule. The ONLY people affected by such bans are law abiding citizens.

Offline andrea.from.roma

Reply #52 on: February 21, 2010, 03:52:42 PM

You do have a point there. I wasn't even thinking about that possibility. It makes sense. :)

A.
R

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: February 21, 2010, 04:01:20 PM
On the op's post I have often thought what I would do if I accidentally left a tool in my laptop bag going through airport security  :think:

Given the price of them I think I would run back to the car and leave it, provided I had time to  ::)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #54 on: February 22, 2010, 01:53:42 AM
On the op's post I have often thought what I would do if I accidentally left a tool in my laptop bag going through airport security  :think:

Given the price of them I think I would run back to the car and leave it, provided I had time to  ::)

I'm constantly amazed by the high-dollar knives showing up on eBay that have been confiscated at airports. :think: Surely if a person is there an hour ahead of departure there is time to run it back out to the car?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #55 on: February 22, 2010, 03:52:34 AM
The ONLY people affected by such bans are law abiding citizens.

Agreed.
G

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69