Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

So what does the multitool.org member read?

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
So what does the multitool.org member read?
on: July 06, 2007, 05:50:09 AM
In between occasional boughts of high-speed food production and excessive napping (does such thing exist?) I have been known to spend entire days laid-up on my couch, embroiled in the written word. I usually alternate between Science-Fiction (a holdover from my youth) and everything else (Forensics to Urban Exploration to the history of the Oxford English Dictionary). I am interested in anything well written, pretty much everything one could write a book about.

I have been averaging a package a week from amazon.com and this week's current arrivals are:

Thirteen. By Richard K. Morgan. Mr. Morgan writes an excellent, fast paced, future noir/action novel. I own, and am constantly lending out, several copies of each of his books. Thirteen is his fifth novel and appears to be his second stand alone novel. Of the other four works, three feature a continued storyline with the same characters while a forth is set in a completely different realm and is dramatically different.

I find his concepts interesting and the characters well developed. His writing flows easily and is full of shocking violence but amazing heroism. His novels aren't for everyone but if you enjoy good but simple Science-Fiction you will enjoy them, I recommend you start with Altered Carbon. Mr. Morgan's first novel and the first of three book in the Takeshi Kovacs series.

The other book in the package serves to continue my addiciton to trade-paperback graphic novels. I am currently catching up on most of the series' I missed as a teenager. In the past few months I've blown through the major productions(The Preacher series, Transmetropolitan, Powers, Watchmen, Y: The Last Man, and Frank Miller's rendition of Batman, as well as other assorted collections.) and have moved on to lesser known books. I find The Walking Dead to be an interesting take on the Zombie genre that hasn't recieved that much press. Anyway, the other book in the package was a smaller press book entitled Wasteland, a post-apocalyptic work that brings some unique ideas to a genre that is constantly being explored.

So there is my current log of reading material, explosive Science-Fiction and Post-Apocalyptic comic books. I'm currently hunting up some other books for the next few weeks and am always open to suggestions.

What are some general areas of interest? What are you guys reading? Do you guys read?  ;)

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Re: So what does the multitool.org member read?
Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 06:22:18 AM
I read allot of SciFi also. Right now I'm reading Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson. Lately, I seem to be into true adventure stories.
"

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 08:58:13 AM
I work in a bookshop, having said that i don,t read anything particularly high brow ;D

I,ve just read ''wings on my sleeve'' by eric brown, which is an excellent book about the life of a test pilot.

but for the most part i read either Sven Hassel,s or warhammer 40k, as i,m a bloodthirsty git at heart :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 10:27:10 AM
This month's popular mechanics was the last thing I read...I enjoy travelogues and books on history along with graphic novels (anything by frank miller or garth ennis). My favorite book (right now) is probably The Monkeywrench Gang by Edward Abbey...I hope to pick up some more of his books that he wrote while he was a park ranger out in Moab, Utah...I haven't had much time to read a lot b/c of my hectic work schedule but I try to sneak in a little here and there...
"

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 01:36:23 PM
I read constantly.  Magazines, newspapers, books, you name it.  I think that's why I was always so drawn to Internet forums- there's always something new to read.  When I was a kid I used to read the cereal boxes at the breakfast table!

Nowadays I read just about everything, but mostly sci fi books (halfway through the second book of the Star Trek- Eugenics Wars which is basically a biography of Khan), biographies of interesting people (Sonny Barger, Eval Kneival, Robin Williams, Christopher Reeve etc), adventure stuff (I went through a phase where I read nothing but Clive Cussler books, one after the other.  I've read them all but I couldn't tell you which was which now!), and a bunch of movie adaptations (Just finished Transformers and Spiderman 3).  I also like many of the super hero type books.  The Death of Superman was a novelization of a comic series, which I really enjoyed as was the Batman book Knightfall, a story in which a bad guy (Bane) breaks Batman's back, paralyzing him.

Pretty well whatever catches my eye, but I tend to prefer e-books to regular books, which is why I needed to get a new Pocket PC.  Palm Pilots got me hooked on ebooks, but they don't read .lit files, which I started to accumulate while I had my last Pocket PC.  The Pocket PC reads any and all kinds of ebooks.  I had to give up on regular books when I ran out of space to put paperbacks, and then my wife got into Oprah books and the like, so we almost had to have a second house just for our library!  Now I can have a library's worth of books on a CD or memory card, and the wife made good use of all my old paperbacks when she discovered the local used book store.

There is also a Star Wars series that I am going to have to pick up again soon- it started a few years ago and featured some aliens from beyond the galactic rim who have no knowledge of, or are affected by the Force, and they want to take over.  They are pretty brutal, and I lost my place about a year ago- now thanks to my brother I have just about all the books in ebook format so I'll probably restart that series again.

Then there's the informational reading... I am developing a nice collection of "Classrom in a Box" and "Dummies" manuals.

Like I said... I am a reading machine!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 04:16:27 PM
For me, I usually read SciFi and Fantasy books... some of the authors I like are Raymond E. Feist (my favorite by far), Orson Scott Card, R.A. Salvatore, David Eddings, and Richard Jordan.

I'm currently reading a trilogy based on the World of Warcraft game...
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 06:15:22 PM
I use to read nothing but Stephen King novels and the like, but lately my job has me taking lunch on the clock and I don't have time to read, what time I am not able to read I get to catch up and read plenty of what is on here and other forums.

David

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 12:26:34 AM
I haven't done a whole lot of reading in the last two years or so, been kinda busy and married... But most of what I've read outside of magazines (Popular Mechanichs is my favourite) has been anything by J.R.R. Tolkein and C.S. Lewis.
On a side note, I've been a big reader of those two guys since loonngg before the recent movies came out, so I'M NOT A BANDWAGONER!  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 12:46:46 AM
I've been a Tolkien fan since the early 80's... although I found in order to read his more intense books like the Silmarillion, one has to set aside a couple of days and do nothing else but read until you get to the back cover.  Some serious reading there.

One set of books that really impresses me these days is the Harry Potter books.  In the beginning the books were acceptable for kids, aged ten to twelve, which was the age Harry Potter was.  But, as time goes on, the books, like Harry Potter himself, tend to get somewhat more adult.  It's amazing, and quite accurate.  I wouldn't be surprised to find that Ms. Rowling is actually patterning Harry on some adolescent that she knows, or at least writing for that adolescent.  I have seen very few authors that can pull off such an accurate portrayal of the growing process.  Even more amazing is that it's been transplanted into a completely fictional (at least to Muggles like me!) world, and yet is entirely believable- well except for the magic parts...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 02:18:44 AM
The last BOOK book I read was Inside The Third Reich by Albert Speer about two years ago.  The only regular reading I do is the Punisher MAX series.  If you like Garth Ennis, these are worth tracking down.  It's not the goofy white boots and gloves Punisher of the 1980s-90's...this is crazy stuff.  Issue #50 is coming out August 1, it's starting a new storyline. 
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 03:14:25 AM
I may have to check that out.  The Punisher was always one of my favorites.

Def

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 04:38:13 AM
I may have to check that out.  The Punisher was always one of my favorites.

Def

I'd stay away from anything other than that MAX series...the rest is the same old hokey Punisher.  They kept that alive for the kids I guess, but the MAX series is totally diffrent.  There are a bunch of collections out there of 6 or so issues of the MAX series compiled together in one book, that would be a good start.
[

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 07, 2007, 07:06:17 AM
Lately, I seem to be into true adventure stories.

Ah, a topic I have seldom visited. Have any recommendations? I seem to becoming more and more outdoorsy and it seems like outdoorsiness would go hand in hand with adventure.

I read constantly.  Magazines, newspapers, books, you name it.  I think that's why I was always so drawn to Internet forums- there's always something new to read.  When I was a kid I used to read the cereal boxes at the breakfast table!

I am the same way. At the last place I worked I parsed through the MSDS (Materials Safety and Data Sheets) manuals when I didn't have anything to do. More than one person told me I was the only employee they had ever seen read them. I just seem attracted to the written word, I can't understand how someone can see writing and not stop to read it.

Pretty well whatever catches my eye, but I tend to prefer e-books to regular books, which is why I needed to get a new Pocket PC. 

I was first made aware of this concept several years ago but have been resistant because the introductory costs (PDA-type device, computer, and so forth are a requirement) were so high but I have grown more curious as time passes. How long do you usually read in a sitting? Do you notice eye strain over time?

I use to read nothing but Stephen King novels and the like,

I love his works written as Richard Bachman, The Regulators is amazing as are the short novels Running Man and The Long Walk (sp?).

I just noticed I have a book clearly intended for the multitool.org member sitting right in front of me. ReadyMade: How to Make [Almost] Everything: A Do-It-Yourself Primer. The book not only serves as a ruler, straight-edge, doorstop, and other things but contains well-written articles on numerous subjects and a multitude of interesting projects and ideas that demand exploration.

We seem to have a good amount of Sci-Fi fans here. In that vein I'll share my two favorite Sci-Fi authors; Philip K. Dick and Spider Robinson.

I first discovered Mr. Dick as a pre-teen in the tiny Lawrenceville, GA library. They have a rare collection of all his short stories; a real treasure. I remember reading through all four volumes in one weekend during summer vacation. The overwhelming paranoia, distrust of machines and general trickery are just amazing, he was truly a master at his craft. I am trying to collect the original volumes but they are too darn expensive to purchase in the original format.

I discovered Spider Robinson through the Callahan series. A collection of short stories filled with emotion, humor and amazing outcomes. His novel Mindkiller is on my short list of all time favorites, he writes such heart-wrenching characters sometimes that are so interesting to experience. His work ages very well and I constantly reread my collection.

Of course to mention them and leave out Frederick Brown, William Tenn, Robert Heinlien, Ben Bova, Grant Naylor, etc. would be so very rude.

Let's keep the recommendations coming, I have three days off a week during the summer and need something to entertain me when my girlfriend is asleep!  ;D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: July 07, 2007, 12:53:17 PM
I have been reading ebooks for a few years now, both on full color and monochrome screens and I actually find it less of a strain on the ol' eyebulbs than a book.  I know that sounds crazy, but with just about any reader (mine have always been PDAs, and I've had quite a few over the years) you can change the font size, adjust the brightness and invert the text, all of which makes it better for reading in different condition.  For example, reading in bed at night I have the brightness turned down and the text inverted so it's white words on a black background.  Not only does this not strain my eyes, but it also means that I don't need a light on in the room to read if my wife is asleep, and it doesn't kill night vision as bad so it's easier if I have to get up for any reason.  Outside, during the day, everything is so bright, I leave the text inverted and increase the brightness and I am not looking at a bright sun reflected off a white page.  After working nights most of my life I have a sensitivity to prolonged exposure to bright light, and reading a book on my deck in the sun causes problems.  Reading an ebook isn't a big deal. 

Plus, you can read it on your monitor as well as a handheld, but the handheld is much more convenient.

I have a few books by Phillip K. Dick, but I read so much that I can't remember which ones were his... I'll have to check and get back to you!

I read the MSDS sheets, training manuals and all kinds of other stuff at work as well.  People really thought I was into my job, but the truth was, I was bored.

And I liked the old "hokey" Punisher.... that's the Punisher I grew up with- in fact, I have a copy of the very first appearance of the Punisher.  I think it was an old Spiderman comic.  I'll still check out the MAX series though...  see what they've done to him!

Def

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #14 on: July 07, 2007, 04:17:00 PM

And I liked the old "hokey" Punisher.... that's the Punisher I grew up with- in fact, I have a copy of the very first appearance of the Punisher.  I think it was an old Spiderman comic.  I'll still check out the MAX series though...  see what they've done to him!

Def

haha The Amazing Spider Man #129!
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: July 07, 2007, 04:35:51 PM
Yup... that would be the one...

Def

Offline znapschatz

Reply #16 on: July 29, 2007, 09:11:06 PM
Lately, I have been reading a lot of non-fiction or works of historical interest.  The last book I read was "Crossing Open Ground" by naturalist author Barry Lopez, one of the best writers ever in this field.  Other than that, I read too many magazines and newspapers out of current events interest, not much fiction. 

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #17 on: July 29, 2007, 10:07:08 PM
Is anyone into Alternate History books?  I was looking at some the other day and was wondering if they're any good...
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: July 29, 2007, 10:40:26 PM
Fascinating stuff, if done well.  Unfortunately it's easy to do very badly, and there's a lot of garbage out there.  I like to skip to the end and choose books from guys who have written historical fact and fiction stories, and the ones that list historical events that actually transpired and how the coincide with the fictional stories.

There's a two book series of Star Trek books that really embody that idea.  They aren't really an alternate history books, but they do take place in our era (from the mid 70's to the 90's I believe) that takes a number of historical facts from those two decades, and rewrite them so they are directly attributable to Khan, the genetically enhanced superman who was awakened by the crew of the USS Enterprise several hundred years into the future.  The books are really quite good, and if you get the chance, check them out.  They are called the Eugenics Wars, books one and two.

Def

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: July 30, 2007, 08:06:54 AM
Is anyone into Alternate History books?  I was looking at some the other day and was wondering if they're any good...
I've read some of Harry Turtledoves books. The ones where the south won the civil war, then the north and the south went on to fight again during ww1. I found them interesting.
"

Reply #20 on: July 30, 2007, 10:19:11 AM
I've read some of Harry Turtledoves books. The ones where the south won the civil war, then the north and the south went on to fight again during ww1. I found them interesting.
we sell them at work and they certainly look good and are well written :)

Reply #21 on: July 30, 2007, 10:27:50 AM
Fascinating stuff, if done well.  Unfortunately it's easy to do very badly, and there's a lot of garbage out there.  I like to skip to the end and choose books from guys who have written historical fact and fiction stories, and the ones that list historical events that actually transpired and how the coincide with the fictional stories.

There's a two book series of Star Trek books that really embody that idea.  They aren't really an alternate history books, but they do take place in our era (from the mid 70's to the 90's I believe) that takes a number of historical facts from those two decades, and rewrite them so they are directly attributable to Khan, the genetically enhanced superman who was awakened by the crew of the USS Enterprise several hundred years into the future.  The books are really quite good, and if you get the chance, check them out.  They are called the Eugenics Wars, books one and two.

Def
I keep meaning to get some star trek book's, there,s this guy at work who orders loads of them and for the most part they sound really, really good, but when it comes to the crunch I end up buying yet more warhammer 40k stuff ::)

I would urge everyone to give these books a go, as if you like them they,ve hundreds of titles to choose from. :)

My personal favorite series are...

The Horus Heresy

http://www.blacklibrary.com/product.asp?prod=60100181022&type=Book

and gaunts ghosts...

http://www.blacklibrary.com/product.asp?prod=60100199084&type=Book

then there's the oh so cool titled Soul Drinkers ;D

http://www.blacklibrary.com/product.asp?prod=60100181031&type=Book

Sorry for the nerd'y five minutes ;) ;D

Reply #22 on: October 11, 2007, 12:15:13 PM
Another tread back from the dead!

For my part I'm still reading the warhammers ::)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: October 11, 2007, 01:40:49 PM
I was back into the Harry Potter series, excited by the new one and the movie, so I am re-reading the series.  I find if I don't, then I am lost for the first half of the next book and I still miss out on all the references in the other half.  I'm almost finished the Order of the Phoenix now- Dumbledore's just telling Harry about everything he never mentioned while Harry is growing up, then it's off to the Half Blood Prince.  Hopefully by then I'll have gotten the Deathly Hollows.

It's a good thing I have re-read it though.  Oddly enough, I'd forgotten all about the Swiss Army Knife that Sirius gives Harry for Christmas the year of the Tri- Wizard Tournament.  Of course they don't say that it's a SAK but they do say that its a multi bladed pocket knife with all kinds of interesting tools.  Unfortunately it gets broken in the Order of the Phoenix.  I wonder if Victorinox honors the incantations as well as the implements on the First Mage?

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=First+Mage+Hogwarts&highlight=mage

Def

Reply #24 on: October 11, 2007, 01:45:00 PM
I was back into the Harry Potter series, excited by the new one and the movie, so I am re-reading the series.  I find if I don't, then I am lost for the first half of the next book and I still miss out on all the references in the other half.  I'm almost finished the Order of the Phoenix now- Dumbledore's just telling Harry about everything he never mentioned while Harry is growing up, then it's off to the Half Blood Prince.  Hopefully by then I'll have gotten the Deathly Hollows.

It's a good thing I have re-read it though.  Oddly enough, I'd forgotten all about the Swiss Army Knife that Sirius gives Harry for Christmas the year of the Tri- Wizard Tournament.  Of course they don't say that it's a SAK but they do say that its a multi bladed pocket knife with all kinds of interesting tools.  Unfortunately it gets broken in the Order of the Phoenix.  I wonder if Victorinox honors the incantations as well as the implements on the First Mage?

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=First+Mage+Hogwarts&highlight=mage

Def
Where can I get one of those 93 mm saks :D :D

I've been looking at getting one of those eugenic war book's that you like, I don't supose you know the titles of hand mate ???

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: October 11, 2007, 01:52:30 PM
Ask Tim about the SAK... I think the red ALOX ones are discontinued, but maybe he can get you a silver one!  :grin:

There are only two books in the Eugenics Wars- Book one and book two, which I thought were very appropriately named considering book one comes first and is followed by book two....

They are likely in the Star Trek section of any book store since they are Star Trek books, despite the very rare occasions where regular Star Trek characters show up.

Def

Reply #26 on: October 11, 2007, 01:54:59 PM
Ask Tim about the SAK... I think the red ALOX ones are discontinued, but maybe he can get you a silver one!  :grin:

There are only two books in the Eugenics Wars- Book one and book two, which I thought were very appropriately named considering book one comes first and is followed by book two....

They are likely in the Star Trek section of any book store since they are Star Trek books, despite the very rare occasions where regular Star Trek characters show up.

Def
Well I work in a bookshop and I'm having trouble sourcing new copies :(, maybe there out of print, or north america only ???

Are they quite old?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: October 11, 2007, 02:00:54 PM
A few years old...

Author:  Greg Cox
Format: Adobe Reader
Publication Date: July 2001
Publisher: Pocket Books
ISBN-10: 0743422597
ISBN-13: 9780743422598
List Price: $3.49

I dunno if that helps you but the folks at the book stores I go to always want me to quote an ISBN number.  Of course that may be a little different since it's an electronic version of the book.

Def

Reply #28 on: October 11, 2007, 02:08:01 PM
A few years old...

Author:  Greg Cox
Format: Adobe Reader
Publication Date: July 2001
Publisher: Pocket Books
ISBN-10: 0743422597
ISBN-13: 9780743422598
List Price: $3.49

I dunno if that helps you but the folks at the book stores I go to always want me to quote an ISBN number.  Of course that may be a little different since it's an electronic version of the book.

Def
Well next time i'm in work I have a look see, mind you I've got enough warhammer at the moment to last me to at least june 08 ::)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: October 11, 2007, 02:19:31 PM
You obviously aren't reading fast enough!  I switched to ebooks because I couldn't afford bookshelves at the speed I was reading paperbacks!

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%