Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

So what does the multitool.org member read?

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Re: So what does the multitool.org member read?
Reply #120 on: April 26, 2008, 08:51:55 PM
I've just started this  Grin  Look at the date  Shocked It was first published in 1813 .
Damn Dunc if I were reading that book I would be afraid to touch the pages
I started Moby Dick a few days ago...
Moby Dick is one of my favorite books. I remember everyone hating it in high school and really enjoying it. I have read a couple times since.
Some guilty pleasure reading for me. I have been reading Harry Turtledoves alternate history series about an alien invasion during WW2. Not a series read by any means. But good escapism for me. I have to say I have enjoyed it so far.
(Image removed from quote.)

If you wanrt to read a good Harry Turtledove story.  Try "Guns of the South:A Novel of the Civil War"
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #121 on: April 26, 2008, 09:14:48 PM
If you wanrt to read a good Harry Turtledove story.  Try "Guns of the South:A Novel of the Civil War"
I have read and agree with you. It was a good read.

How few Remain was good as well.

I read two of the WW1 alternate timelines that continue the series. I liked them.
Really the only Harry Turtledove book that I didn't enjoy was The Two Georges
"

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #122 on: April 26, 2008, 09:34:13 PM
I should read those. Although some of those "The South won the war" books make it seem that the Southern states are akin to Hitler Germany and only went to war to keep promoting white supremacy. War is never simple and to think that slavery was the only reason the Southern states seceded is laughable.

However, I will be good and refrain from going on a rant.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline kent ct

Reply #123 on: April 27, 2008, 01:20:42 AM
I should read those. Although some of those "The South won the war" books make it seem that the Southern states are akin to Hitler Germany and only went to war to keep promoting white supremacy. War is never simple and to think that slavery was the only reason the Southern states seceded is laughable.

However, I will be good and refrain from going on a rant.

To expand on this, it is not widely known that the New England states threatened to secede well before the war. The issue was the lowering of tariffs that protected northern industry. The tariffs stayed high. The north got the jobs and the profit and the South paid the price.

The best book I have read on the subject is "The Slave States" by Frederik Law Olmstead.The father of landscape architecture. Written in the 1840s it was a series of newspaper articles later turned into a book. Olmstead was an abolitionist but not one of the fire breathing ones. He believed that slavery was uneconomic and that it would die a natural death. He made a trip through the South to study at first hand conditions there. The book is very fair and even handed and is one of those rare books where you find yourself really liking the author as a person. If he had had more influence I do not think there would have been a war.

John Brown was a hero and martyr in New England.

Richard

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #124 on: April 28, 2008, 03:04:13 PM
I am currently reading Against All Odds: My Story. I mean come on, its about Chuck Norris!

Chuck Norris doesn't do Push-Ups,he Pushes the World Down. :salute:

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #125 on: April 29, 2008, 12:08:16 AM
When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night, he checks his closet for Chuck Norris.

#  Chuck Norris doesn’t wear a watch, HE decides what time it is.  :D :D
B

00 Offline Dtrain

Reply #126 on: April 29, 2008, 03:56:56 PM
When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night, he checks his closet for Chuck Norris.

#  Chuck Norris doesn’t wear a watch, HE decides what time it is.  :D :D

When I took the SAT's I put down "Chuck Norris" as my answer for each question and recieved a perfect score.
Chuck Norris does not sleep He waits.

If Fox cast Chuck Norris for the series "24" instead of Kiefer Sutherland it would have had to been renamed "15 minutes".

Dtrain

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #127 on: April 29, 2008, 06:08:16 PM
Who's Chuck Norris? Oh yeah, that's the guy who was SECOND in charge behind Lee Marvin in the movie The Delta Force.  ;)
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

00 Offline Dtrain

Reply #128 on: April 30, 2008, 05:52:06 PM
Who's Chuck Norris? Oh yeah, that's the guy who was SECOND in charge behind Lee Marvin in the movie The Delta Force.  ;)

That's because he was bieng the Consumate Gentleman/Ass Kicker :twak: and had respect for his elders,or the my personal theory is........

If the terrorists knew he was coming  :oand in charge they would have imeadiatley released the Hostages,then committed ritual suicide  depriving civilization :cry: as we know it of an hour and a half of Norris Butt Kickerery. :D

Dtrain

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69