Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

LM Charge XTi Camo finish

geoemt · 33 · 7288

Offline geoemt

LM Charge XTi Camo finish
on: September 30, 2006, 06:13:30 AM
I have seen two different styles of Charge Xti Camo tools on display recently, the first one is from Cabelas and the second from Bass Pro Shops. The one from Cabelas has camo and black oxide finish and the one from BPS only has the handles with the camo finish. Both of them look pretty cool and the price is almost the same, around $110.00

Cabelas:

Bass Pro Shops:

What do you think about these camo tools?, Do you think that LM should make other tools with the camo pattern?
Guillermo
<

Offline Kapt Kopter

Re: LM Charge XTi Camo finish
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 10:12:03 AM
I wonder why both box store giants picked only the XTI to do a camo finish.... ???....I prefer the TI....... ::)

Kap ;D
I

Offline joebw

Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 08:31:01 PM
Hi Kap, 

Actually Cabelas did both the Charge Ti and XTi in camo.  I believe both are still available.

Best - Joe

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 08:34:26 PM
Yup, both are still available.

Here's a pic of the Ti:
Ti, Seclusion 3D.jpg
* Ti, Seclusion 3D.jpg (Filesize: 35.2 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 08:54:31 PM
I like those... why does the list get longer when I keep getting more and more tools?
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 10:21:23 AM
I agree with Def.  I can't keep seeing all these awsome tools. My wife is going to kill me
"

us Offline CacherX4

Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 12:16:09 AM
I have been wanting one of those camo finished ones for awhile now and so far I have been able to control myself...but with Christmas right around the corner...who knows ;D

Offline joebw

Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 02:55:09 PM
If you want one of these, you might want to think about doing it sooner rather than waiting.  Once the Charge AL and ALX come out, one has to wonder how much longer these camo versions will be available.

Best - Joe

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 02:09:42 AM
Good advice.
I suspect Leatherman made just one production run of these camo tools, then sold the whole lot to Bass Pro and Cabelas. By the time these two retailers sell out, there will be something new or different on the market. No more camoflage Charges will be produced. Better get one now.

Just my speculation mind you, I may be wrong.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 02:53:36 AM
Ok, ok, I'm dialing, I'm dailing... sheesh...
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline CacherX4

Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 02:54:09 AM
Yeah, I agree with both of you...but there are so many new multis I would like since my collection is just starting it's hard to drop another $100 on a tool I already own. What to do.... ???  You guys are definetly not helping out my weak resistance... ;D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 02:58:18 AM
Buying used tools from eBay helps, as do the great deals we get from our banner advertisers- Marc and Tim have done nothing but good by me so far.  Plus, buy them on sale in stores if you have to buy them in person.  Sometimes that can really help too.
Last but not least, this concept is one that I never quite figured out but might work better for you, try trading or selling the tools you have but aren't fond of to help offset the cost of a new one.
Def

Offline spirited

Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 09:01:22 AM
What's the use for a camo finish? Isn't it really unpractical that you will not find it as easily if it drops?
I do not think it is particularly beautiful. I'll wait until Leatherman makes an old style Wave with a pink flower finish :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006, 12:11:18 PM
You are right, and to be honest, I rarely if ever take a multi on camping trips with me, at least not as a primary EDC since I don't find the tools on a multi as effective as a SAK in the woods.

The camo finish is more interesting to me as a collectable curiousity more than anything else.

Besides, if I drop it in the woods and can't find it, then neither can the mall ninjas, so they won't be able to use it against me!

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006, 01:21:12 PM
What's the use for a camo finish? Isn't it really unpractical that you will not find it as easily if it drops?
I do not think it is particularly beautiful. I'll wait until Leatherman makes an old style Wave with a pink flower finish :)

Ooooh! Put me down for a Wave with the blue flower finish!

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #15 on: October 05, 2006, 01:59:42 AM
I wonder how well a tool for ladies would actually sell?
Yabba dabba doo!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: October 05, 2006, 02:57:59 PM

A year or so ago, Shepherd Hills Cutlery had a special run of pink "Lady Leatherman" tools made up. Now I'm told that Leatherman is offering the pink Squirt tools to other retailers as well.
Lady Leathermen.jpg
* Lady Leathermen.jpg (Filesize: 48.07 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: October 05, 2006, 11:12:18 PM
There's a dirty joke hiding in there somewhere, I am certain of it!

Def

Offline geoemt

Reply #18 on: October 06, 2006, 12:34:52 AM
 :D :D :D you had to mention it Def..... :D :D :D :D

Guillermo
<

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: October 06, 2006, 12:41:35 AM
I can't believe I said that.........

us Offline inkster

• Administrator
  • Administrator
Reply #20 on: October 06, 2006, 12:45:05 AM
I bought one of those for my girlfriend about a year ago at Target

Offline joebw

Reply #21 on: October 06, 2006, 04:54:20 PM
There are two variations of the pink Squirts.  The Shepherd Hills ones say "Lady Leatherman" on the scales while the normal retail ones simply say "Leatherman".

Best - Joe

Offline supratentorial

Reply #22 on: April 01, 2007, 10:21:48 PM
Is the camoflauge painted?  Is it durable or does it wear off easily like black oxide?  Thanks!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: April 01, 2007, 10:34:50 PM
Is the camoflauge painted?  Is it durable or does it wear off easily like black oxide?  Thanks!

Only the titanium scales have a camo finish. I'm not sure how it is applied. It might be painted? But if so, it seems very hard and durable.

On the Cabela's version, the blades and tools are black oxide coated. I expect the coating will scratch and wear eventually. Partly for this reason, and partly because I like the "look" better, I prefer the Bass Pro Shop version with its stainless finished blades.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 10:36:50 PM by J-sews »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: April 01, 2007, 11:05:38 PM
Pics?

Def

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #25 on: April 01, 2007, 11:16:58 PM

You know... I had a LM Micra, but somehow it ended up in my Girlfriends purse.  So, I bought another one.  Somehow, that one ended up in my mom's purse. 

Considering my personal experience, a small scissors based tool marketed to women might do decent.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: April 02, 2007, 12:10:43 AM
Charges.jpg
* Charges.jpg (Filesize: 96.87 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: April 02, 2007, 01:20:54 AM
Nice... I'll take one of each... you can put it on Dave's tab... :P

Def

Offline supratentorial

Reply #28 on: April 02, 2007, 03:46:56 AM
I bought a Bass Pro Shops XTi (the one on the right in J-sews' photo).  Can't wait to get it!

...May I use Dave's tab also?

Offline supratentorial

Reply #29 on: April 05, 2007, 02:28:22 AM
I just got mine today.  I'm REALLY happy with it.

I've seen at least a 1/2 dozen Tis and a 1/2 dozen XTis and they don't seem as well crafted.  For example on all the other Charges that I've seen, the diamond file is crooked and rubs against the inside of the titanium scales.  The file on the Camo Charge XTi doesn't rub!  All the liner locks hit the center of the tools.  None of the implements are too tight or too loose.  It makes me wonder if quality control was an issue with some of the newer production stuff. 

The Camo XTi is marked "PAT Pend" and the others that I've seen weren't marked so I'm guessing they're later production.  Both the Camo XTi and my regular XTi have the six star torx so they were made after the switch from the torx plus.   

I didn't think I'd like the sheath but I do!  The color is excellent and the leather is much more supple than the standard leather Charge sheath.

Unfortunately, I did notice 3 spots where the titanium is showing through--they're right near the edges.  This makes me think that the Camo will wear off.  It does seem pretty durable (much more than black oxide).  But I'm guessing it'll chip and peal off with time.  Has anyone used one of these enough to know how easily it wears? 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 03:09:57 AM by supratentorial »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD