Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Re: MINI Problem

WH867 · 35 · 2433

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
on: February 26, 2010, 04:20:23 PM
Pre-Charge file rub issues! :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 04:18:28 AM
Bad luck Dennis :-\ Is it an older no datecode 1 like that of Neil's? If so probably an early problem of the  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh !!!MINI!!! :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh Is the file a tad thicker than another of your  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh !!!!MINI's!!! :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :think: That might be it but can't tell for sure in the pics :)

Offline Kmarr

Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 04:33:12 AM
I've had my mini for about a week and I didn't notice until you pointed it out. There is an ever so slight rubbing against my file. enough to feel when you pay attention but it took a week to notice and there's no real visible damage. if I use this for another 5 to 10 years it might turn up like yours, but This one was barely used and shows no damage so far :-\

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 04:42:29 AM
I've had my mini for about a week and I didn't notice until you pointed it out. There is an ever so slight rubbing against my file. enough to feel when you pay attention but it took a week to notice and there's no real visible damage. if I use this for another 5 to 10 years it might turn up like yours, but This one was barely used and shows no damage so far :-\

Does your's have datecodes in the inside of the handles? Dose it have pat pend as well or does it have a patent # Maybe we can track this down cause neither of mine rub but both are late model ones the BO 1 is 0104 and the other one is 0800 :)

Offline Kmarr

Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 05:21:55 AM
mine is a brushed finish and I got 0797 and 0997

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 05:47:05 AM
Bad luck Dennis :-\ Is it an older no datecode 1 like that of Neil's? If so probably an early problem of the  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh !!!MINI!!! :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh Is the file a tad thicker than another of your  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh !!!!MINI's!!! :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :think: That might be it but can't tell for sure in the pics :)
Yes, it is a no date code or hard wire notch mini.  I can't tell if there is any difference in the files. if there is it is'nt much
Dennis

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 08:03:57 AM
Yes, it is a no date code or hard wire notch mini.  I can't tell if there is any difference in the files. if there is it is'nt much

Perhaps it is just enough that it makes the file rub :think: Cause the 2 I have the plier head is very close to the file but just barely away so any thicker even perhaps a 1/2 mm or less and it would touch :o It's good that they seemed to have fixed it in later 1 anyway :)

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 12:07:54 PM
I can't find any significant difference in file size but the plier head does appear to be around 0.1mm thicker at that point on the older version.
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 06:03:31 AM
I can't find any significant difference in file size but the plier head does appear to be around 0.1mm thicker at that point on the older version.

Maybe that was just enough to contact the plier head :think: tis a very small amount though :-\ Thanks for checking Neil :tu:

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 06:53:03 AM
That's a mini problem?! I've got a mini problem for you - I DON'T HAVE A :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh !!!MINI!!! :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh!!!11eleven!1
Got those frog legs.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 07:35:12 PM
Picked up another Mini this week.   This one has a slight problem.  When I opened it up to look it over my first thought was that somebody took a grinder to one side of the plier head.  But then I noticed that everytime the tool is opened and closed it rubs the file bad. I'm not sure why because nothing looks bent to me.  Here's a couple pics. It looks much worse in person.

Maybe the pivot hole through the plier head wasn't drilled quite square with the faces? (causing it to close on a slight angle) :(
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 01:06:18 AM
If you send in your Mini for a little work you might not recognize it when it gets back :( :) :shrug: :dwts:   :D .   Besides the file rubbing the plier pivot had a lot of play and one side of the handles was very loose. So I decided to send it in.
Dennis

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 01:13:00 AM
WTF  :o

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 01:14:50 AM
WTF  :o
Kinda what I thought. I figured if they could'nt fix it and did'nt have a replacement I might get a Juice. Did'nt figure on a kick.
Dennis

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 01:16:21 AM
I would be pretty upset.  Did you ask them to send it back if they couldn't sort it out?

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 01:23:15 AM
I would be pretty upset.  Did you ask them to send it back if they couldn't sort it out?
No, I should have, but did'nt.  Just asked for it to be tightened up. And figured if I was lucky they might have a new plier head to stick in it.
Dennis

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 03:48:26 AM
I did always wonder what they would replace 1 with but I never figured a Kick :( Remind me to never send 1 of mine in I will just keep them for spare parts if nothing else :-\ Sorry to hear it Dennis :-[

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #17 on: March 13, 2010, 05:09:17 AM
Mate they gave you the spiky end of the Pineapple  >:( >:( >:(.
Kick for a Mini  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #18 on: March 13, 2010, 12:27:17 PM
I guess it is the closest match.  :(
I'm back!!

spam Offline Fisting_Chili

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: March 13, 2010, 02:16:47 PM
Mate they gave you the spiky end of the Pineapple  >:( >:( >:(.
Kick for a Mini  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

I'm taking it that most here are not too impressed with the Kick?  No wonder I see them so cheap on ebay.  Bummer about the switcheroo...
“Do not go gentle, into that goodnight.  Rage....RAGE against the dying of the light!"

-Dylan Thomas

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #20 on: March 13, 2010, 02:23:25 PM
If you compare them both, the Kick comes ahead in functionality. Loses in folded size, discontinued production, and cult status.

I myself wouldn't be happy with a Kick for the Mini simply because a mini is well....a mini!

I think the Kick would be more appreciated if it came with a pocket clip instead of having one as an accessory.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: March 13, 2010, 04:58:45 PM
I'm taking it that most here are not too impressed with the Kick?  No wonder I see them so cheap on ebay.  Bummer about the switcheroo...

There's nothing wrong with a Kick but its not a ....      :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh  !!! Mini !!!  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: March 13, 2010, 05:05:52 PM
I suspect many non-MTorg neandertals do not place much value in the Mini and would probably consider the Kick to be an upgrade. :-\

But they should have asked you first Dennis >:(
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline David

Reply #23 on: March 14, 2010, 08:33:35 AM
Bummer Dennis.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #24 on: March 16, 2010, 03:37:14 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. I don't see how they get kick from mini.
SAW

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: March 16, 2010, 11:27:39 AM
Humm...much as I like the Kick it doesn't fill the same role as a Mini IMO.  I would have thought they'd have gone with one of their "pocket-size" range not something from their "full-sized" range.  The cynic in me suspects that it's just because the Kick is cheaper than a Juice but perhaps they honestly though this would be the better option.  :-\
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: March 16, 2010, 01:19:28 PM
Humm...much as I like the Kick it doesn't fill the same role as a Mini IMO.  I would have thought they'd have gone with one of their "pocket-size" range not something from their "full-sized" range.  The cynic in me suspects that it's just because the Kick is cheaper than a Juice but perhaps they honestly though this would be the better option.  :-\

I'm guessing its because one of the main reasons anyone would buy a mini is because they want the function of a full sized leatherman, even if they prefer the smaller and more portable package of a mini.  So when leatherman decided to replace it, they went with function over convenience?
“Do not go gentle, into that goodnight.  Rage....RAGE against the dying of the light!"

-Dylan Thomas

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: March 16, 2010, 02:49:13 PM

I'm guessing its because one of the main reasons anyone would buy a mini is because they want the function of a full sized leatherman, even if they prefer the smaller and more portable package of a mini.  So when leatherman decided to replace it, they went with function over convenience?

Well there's the thing, there really isn't a direct replacement for the Mini I suppose.  So it comes down to what aspect of the Mini was important to you, pocketability (surely then a Juice) or the pliers size (then the Kick). 

BUT I would argue that if all you wanted was full sized pliers then you would already be carrying a PST or similar, not a Mini.

It's all a matter of perspective but I know I wouldn't be particularly happy with the Kick, or the fact there wasn't any communication about it.   Considering the Mini wasn't exactly a write-off it might have been better for them to have given the option of simply returning it.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: March 16, 2010, 03:03:24 PM

Well there's the thing, there really isn't a direct replacement for the Mini I suppose.  So it comes down to what aspect of the Mini was important to you, pocketability (surely then a Juice) or the pliers size (then the Kick). 

BUT I would argue that if all you wanted was full sized pliers then you would already be carrying a PST or similar, not a Mini.

It's all a matter of perspective but I know I wouldn't be particularly happy with the Kick, or the fact there wasn't any communication about it.   Considering the Mini wasn't exactly a write-off it might have been better for them to have given the option of simply returning it.

Yeah, I know.  I've found that if you don't let them know you want it back, they can do as they please.  Bummer, I'd rather have the mini too

-Dylan Thomas

Offline Kmarr

Reply #29 on: March 16, 2010, 04:09:34 PM
Its unlikely that someone here would trade a mini for a kick, well at least I wouldn't cuz I love my MINI!!! But you could try to schedule a trade and maybe the new mini won't have a file problem.  If it does...don't let it slip in the hands of the Leatherguy!! :ahhh

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%