Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

ARRGH! the Corkscrew vs the Phillips debate!!! (again)

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
ARRGH! the Corkscrew vs the Phillips debate!!! (again)
on: February 26, 2010, 04:16:21 PM
I can't stop bringing this back! I remember being "them" and wanting the Phillips driver on the back of my Saks,
I never used the Corkscrew! what a waste of space....NOT!

Not long ago I tried getting a Wenger in this country (usa) with a Corkscrew and it was not happening, to
many here or enough wanted the Phillips and now... arrgh!

I luuuuv the Corkscrew and all it's "Multi" uses, I hate the backspring Phillips and it's limited use.

Yes it's just my opinion and I know others feel different (god bless your wee bitty hearts) but I
like multi-use tools!

sorry rant over, carry on ::) :D

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Re: ARRGH! the Corkscrew vs the Phillips debate!!! (again)
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 04:23:00 PM
It all comes down to screwing cork or phillips... :P

EDIT (post FF's post): I'm all for corkscrew as I find the backspring phillips virtually useless...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 04:42:03 PM by Nikos »

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 04:38:25 PM
It all comes down to screwing cork or phillips... :P

Agreed, I don't understand how he'd consider the corkscrew multi-functional? :think:
Got those frog legs.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 04:45:50 PM
lol! I dunno corkscrew=awl/knot-untier/digger/puller/reamer/holder(like for the mini-driver and works on cork! :P :twak:

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 05:27:18 PM
I was tightening the handle on one of my doors in the morning before work and my Vic Mechanic was at hand. The backspring philips was useless as the handle was in the way and only allowed a few mm of movement, out came out the can opener and a few seconds later the job was done. I prefer corkscrew to philips as well, but since the Wenger style can opener can't turn philips screws I go with Vic :cheers:

us Offline bren10man

Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 06:50:25 PM
my vote is for Phillips.  99% of the time, I use the corkscrew on my Champion (my EDC knife) to store the mini-screwdriver.

then again, the Champion has the top-mounted Phillips. 
MOLON LABE!

Offline Magnus

Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 07:01:34 PM
I have never been in a situation where I needed to open a wine bottle, and wasn't in a place that had a corkscrew.
[

us Offline SlackOne

• See Saw Seen
Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 08:05:53 PM
I've used the backspring Phillips on my old Wenger so much that it's a little loose now.  It and the awl were probably the most used tools on that thing in the near-decade I was carrying it.  The Phillips might be slightly less useful on the Vics because of the larger knife body.  I haven't used the one on my Super Tinker at all yet.

BTW, the Wenger awl is the ultimate "I need something pointy and metal to poke this" tool.  It has popped out so many plastic tabs holding electronic devices together that it could be called the "Broken DVD Player Repair Tool" :P
Half-ass done wholeheartedly!

Offline Kmarr

Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 08:16:30 PM
I encounter philips heads ten thousand times a day, and I'm not in any profession that requires it! it just happens that a lotta philips around me need tighening. Thats why I'm putting the cybertool driver in my swisschamp so there's more choices. I considered the corkscrew vs. philips scenario but ended up keeping the corkscrew...not cuz I need to open wine bottles in a flash but because of the tiny screwdriver that has helped me more than a backside philips.

plus it doesn't hurt to have a corkscrew when you go hob nobbing with the elite and fancy folk :D

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 08:48:15 PM
The backspring phillips is more or less useless.

(Less useless *but not actually useful* on its own, and more useless if you carry a decent Multi)

but I like it for the feel when using the knife. The corkscrew sticks out and is a bit quirky in the hand.

It is, however, a lot more valuable in the situation of being a multi carrier, because so few Multis have corkscrews.

I don't have a corkscrew-phillips insert, but that adds some more use to the beastie as well.

I have more Phillips SAKs than Corkscrew saks, but in future I think I'll be favouring Corkscrew - I don't like them on the knife, but I hate not having one when needed.

us Offline django.cj

Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 09:13:13 PM
Corkscrew, for sure.  It opens not only wine, but my lady's Lambic.  I can't count how many times we needed a corkscrew and all I had was the phillips on my OHT.

As far as I'm concerned, that phillips is useless.  The handle is just too wide to fit anywhere.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 09:33:02 PM
As the creator of the last debate  :D, you all know it has to be a corkscrew.
I'm back!!

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 10:05:01 PM
I don't know Ben, I'm trying to keep pace with you! :ahhh

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 10:08:28 PM
Simply got to be the CS hasn't it :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 11:23:47 PM
Screwdriver!!!!  Drink beer!!!!

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 11:45:48 PM
I have never, and there's a good chance will never use the corkscrew. Maybe for untying a knot or something. I don't even drink, let alone needing to open some wine. That being said: I will still take the corkscrew every time. The eyeglass driver is too important to me to have the uncomfortable, awkward Phillips. Besides, I carry a CT 34 paired with a Spirit S, so another Phillips is pretty redundant lol. But really in general I find more use for the eyeglass driver than a Phillips that won't fit in most places you need a Phillips anyway. And having the corkscrew as an available additional option is kinda nice, since half the point of carrying multis is having options in any given situation.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 11:54:12 PM
Okay so let me get this right. You guys like the corkscrew because it holds the mini-scredriver (sorry, but that's actually ANOTHER tool... why are you attributing the use of this tool to the tool that merely holds it?) and that it's a little pokey thing.

I don't know about you, but I carry TONS of little pokey things.

And there's generally corkscrews near wine. Maybe if you were a wine snob... but then you'd have a proper wine opener now wouldn't you?
Snobby McSnobpants. :P

It's a dang corkscrew versus a number 2 phillips. You're all tool guys, aren't you? :think:

Don't get me wrong, I like the corkscrew and inline phillips combo my Explorer has. But if I'm going for 2 layers there is no question on what should be done.
Got those frog legs.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 12:12:43 AM
If the argument was for a 2 layer SAK, AND I was carrying nothing else, AND the mini-driver wasn't an issue, then yes, the Phillips would win.

But the fact is I have 4 other Phillips drivers of varying sizes on me at all times already, I wear glasses and consider the mini driver a necessity so need the corkscrew to hold it, and adding a corkscrew to the mix means I have an additional (albeit mostly useless) tool as opposed to a completely redundant and poorly placed driver. Therefore, corkscrew FTMFW!!!!11 :P

On it's own merit, yes the driver is in theory better, but in the real world for my EDC set-up and personal needs, the corkscrew makes more sense.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 12:15:31 AM by thebullfrog »

dk Offline CUTZ SIX

• Stay sharp
Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 01:35:26 AM
I only rarely! use the CS, BUT I hate the backspring tools exept the CS, so I would take CS allways. Allso a SAK needs a CS imo to be a sak ;)

I do love inline phillips though.

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 01:53:32 AM
I am a fevert member of the Church of the Backspring Philips

As i am a small sak with combo tool user the can opener argument doesn't work for me. i like the feel of a philips despite not using it much.

this is because i EDC my Hustler on my keyring and it has a quattro screw driver punkchain

The quatro punkchain probably makes a Compact super-funtion-y 
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #20 on: February 28, 2010, 05:11:17 AM
And the corkscrew SAK's are the official SAK of the fellowship. Has anyone read our pledge lately?

"For a century now, the Secret Order of the Swiss Army Knife has kept a careful eye on mankind, ensuring that it always has the proper tools at hand. Wherever there is danger, uncertainty or a bottle of wine in need of opening, a knight of SOSAK is assuredly there."

I always carried a corkscrew for the mini driver but the only time I used it it wasn't worth the effort.  But then again I HATE the t-handle phillips.

I do though like the smoother lines of the phillips over the corkscrew.

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #21 on: February 28, 2010, 07:00:05 AM
...and if we had a 1/4 inch driver that is on the minigrips it would be that
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #22 on: February 28, 2010, 12:58:35 PM
Okay so let me get this right. You guys like the corkscrew because it holds the mini-scredriver (sorry, but that's actually ANOTHER tool... why are you attributing the use of this tool to the tool that merely holds it?) and that it's a little pokey thing.

I don't know about you, but I carry TONS of little pokey things.

And there's generally corkscrews near wine. Maybe if you were a wine snob... but then you'd have a proper wine opener now wouldn't you?
Snobby McSnobpants. :P

It's a dang corkscrew versus a number 2 phillips. You're all tool guys, aren't you? :think:

Don't get me wrong, I like the corkscrew and inline phillips combo my Explorer has. But if I'm going for 2 layers there is no question on what should be done.

A phillips does one job - drives phillips screws.

A corkscrew does a few jobs so function wise you gain more with a corkscrew.

The bottom line is the backspring phillips is pretty cack and bordering on useless IMO (if you find a screw it fits, a flat head would probably work anyway), but the corkscrew may be usefull one day.  For that reason, gimme a corkscrew.
I'm back!!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #23 on: February 28, 2010, 03:24:23 PM
I agree with Benner 100%. Now when is he running for Mayor I ask?  :think:  :D
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: February 28, 2010, 03:47:07 PM
I actually quite like the Phillips, the head is well formed and it's lower profile is more comfortable when doing more prolonged cutting tasks.  Yes it's not the most convenient of placements but I have used one successfully on a couple of occasions no problem.   

BUT I almost always carry a corkscrew.  Partly because I rather like wine, partly because I like the fact that it can carry the micro driver and can be used as a poky thing.  But mostly because in my mind SAKs are supposed to have a corkscrew.  Just as they are supposed to have a blade and are supposed to have a can opener.  They're all things that make a SAK a SAK. YMMV though. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline django.cj

Reply #25 on: February 28, 2010, 03:53:34 PM
I agree, the backspring phillips is a great driver, just not where it's located.  Unless the screw you're working on is on a  completely flat surface with nothing obstructing access, the SAK handle just gets in the way.  I find the can opener works well enough as a phillips that the corkscrew is the better option.
 :climber:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: February 28, 2010, 05:30:52 PM
Corkscrew =  ::)

Phillips =  :tu:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Kmarr

Reply #27 on: February 28, 2010, 08:03:18 PM
I think I missed the point, if I were to have a 2 layer, I'd definitely have the philips instead of corkscrew.  But in a larger tool(swisschamp  or a 3+ layer) I'd have the corkscrew because I would most likey have the slightly better inline philips. I'd still go with the cyber driver cuz you get like 8 functions in one layer(I count the bit adapter's wrench capibility, not to mention you get TWO PHILIPS :tu:).

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: February 28, 2010, 09:24:17 PM
Honestly I'm happy they put both on their knives, just not on the same one's of course.
If I'm heading to a party I'll take a unit with the corkscrew, if it's just a gereral carry
then most likely the phillips.

Offline HighlandPark

Reply #29 on: March 01, 2010, 09:10:09 PM
the last time i had to decide i found myself buying handyman AND craftsman  :D
how do they say - when in doubt ...

:cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68