Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

ARRGH! the Corkscrew vs the Phillips debate!!! (again)

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Re: ARRGH! the Corkscrew vs the Phillips debate!!! (again)
Reply #30 on: March 01, 2010, 09:35:12 PM
Just check the sig
|
|
|
v
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #31 on: March 02, 2010, 06:48:44 PM
I've got to go with the phillips.  They are a bit short and can be a problem in tight places, but I have more use for it than a corkscrew.  I don't drink wine on the go and don't have problems untying knots.   
[

Offline Kmarr

Reply #32 on: March 02, 2010, 07:29:25 PM
I am not familiar with swiss culture, but judging from their mass produced corkscrews I'd wager they chug that stuff like its water!

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: March 02, 2010, 10:03:19 PM
LMAO, no kidding right?

Offline Ben X

Reply #34 on: March 03, 2010, 08:47:52 AM
I am not familiar with swiss culture, but judging from their mass produced corkscrews I'd wager they chug that stuff like its water!
Yeah, any random sampling of SAKs I have ever encountered it dominated by the corkscrew. I am of the "Phillips Faction" and I have to say, I have hopped the fence a few times. My very first SAK was a 91mm Tinker back in 2000. I always work on things and it got plenty of use. My next SAK was a Mechanic, which again had the phillips, and again, it saw tons of action. I then bought a Sportsman and fell in love. I had noticed most of the time I just used the can opener for phillips anyway, and around this time I discovered the mini screwdriver (2005), so I hopped the fence to join the "Corkscrew Crew." For years I stuck with the corkscrew, including when I had Scibeer make my dream SAK. But along the way, more and more of my precious loved ones developed bent can opener tips, including my new holy grail SAK, the Abrasive Corkscrew Mechanic. Just over the last couple of months I have been doing some modding and found myself siding back with the phillips. Two thing are important to mention: 1) I do not wear glasses, nor do I really interact with many people who do, and 2) I do not drink wine, as of now. So should those things change, I may be more able to make an easy decision. But for now, I am somewhat on the fence, seeing the usefulness of a tiny screwdriver/prodder (and being somewhat traditional about the SAK image like Gareth), but also not wanting to abuse my precious can openers. For my Wengers, for what it's worth, I cannot live without the phillips. The lack of a suitable alternative (sorry, the nail file is a little too small/weak) dictates in my mind if I were to carry a Wenger it would be a phillips hands down.

My current EDC is actually a Sportsman with the phillips- the "Sportinker" as it has been called, but I think we need a better name- it's similar to the Wenger Commander, how about the Commando? Anyway, with MacGyver as my hero and first SAK inspiration, I am even more torn, as while watching the show, I noticed he also was a switch hitter between the Corkscrew Crew and the Phillips Faction. :ahhh
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 08:50:30 AM by Ben X »
"

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #35 on: March 03, 2010, 02:45:27 PM
Anyway, with MacGyver as my hero and first SAK inspiration, I am even more torn, as while watching the show, I noticed he also was a switch hitter between the Corkscrew Crew and the Phillips Faction. :ahhh

Sounds like you should be carrying both then. ;)
Got those frog legs.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #36 on: March 04, 2010, 07:07:17 PM
 :ahhh   I just had Rotokid mod my cybertool to make it essentially a supertinker with the bit driver, and now you guys are making me want the corkscrew back!!!  I used mine as a knot puller, and not much else, but the phillips is decent for torquing tough screws.  I hate this decision, why can't I have both!

Offline Kmarr

Reply #37 on: March 04, 2010, 08:17:55 PM
I think in theory, with some modding perhaps, your dreams of both may be possible!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%