Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What does it mean when somebody says their SAK has 2 layers?

spam Offline Fisting_Chili

• No Life Club
Thanks!
(re-reading my post, it almost sounds...dirty)
“Do not go gentle, into that goodnight.  Rage....RAGE against the dying of the light!"

-Dylan Thomas

us Offline django.cj

Re: What does it mean when somebody says their SAK has 2 layers?
Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 02:13:29 PM
It's simply the number of layers of tools present. Just at the SAK's side and count. For example a Tinker is two layers and a Huntsman four.  It determines how thick the overall knife is. 

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 02:14:46 PM
Saks are measured by length (58mm, 91mm, etc...) as well as how many layers the knife has.

2 layers mean that there are literally 2 layers inside the knife. One layer will typically have a large blade and small blade, and the other could have a bottle opener and a can opener in the other. Think of layers as being partitioned by metal dividers inside the knife.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 02:22:56 PM
Saks are measured by length (58mm, 91mm, etc...) as well as how many layers the knife has.

2 layers mean that there are literally 2 layers inside the knife. One layer will typically have a large blade and small blade, and the other could have a bottle opener and a can opener in the other. Think of layers as being partitioned by metal dividers inside the knife.

So ..say an Explorer...would you say that has 4 layers?
“Do not go gentle, into that goodnight.  Rage....RAGE against the dying of the light!"

-Dylan Thomas

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 03:06:34 PM
Correct. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 03:28:25 PM

-Dylan Thomas

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 03:54:33 PM

I go by back spring

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 04:23:27 PM
Think of layers as being partitioned by metal dividers inside the knife.

I go by back spring

These are the two best ways to think of layers, and usually result in the same number. So, how do you guys count layers for the few knives where they put two tools in the same layer? This happens in Champions, SwissChamps, Outdoorsmen, pre-85 Craftsmen and Handymen where they put the fish scaler together with the saw or (more unusually) the metal file. I count the saw and scaler as two layers.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 04:35:28 PM by jazzbass »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 04:31:49 PM
Now there's a good question.  I've always taken the saw+scaler to be one layer, so a SwissChamp is a 7 layer SAK.  I can see why you'd look at it differently though.

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Question about the Champion....older models had a chisel...what does that look like?  I have one that looks like this...is that a chisel?

-Dylan Thomas

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 04:53:15 PM
Question about the Champion....older models had a chisel...what does that look like?  I have one that looks like this...is that a chisel?

No, that's the fine screwdriver. Champions didn't get the chisel until 1986; the pic you show is a 73-85 Champion. That said, from a pic like that, the chisel DOES look like the old fine screwdriver. For models with the chisel, there will be either 4 or 5 back tools. From l-r in the pic below - corkscrew, new fine screwdriver, chisel, hook (91+ models), and the awl.

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 04:57:30 PM

No, that's the fine screwdriver. Champions didn't get the chisel until 1986; the pic you show is a 73-85 Champion. That said, from a pic like that, the chisel DOES look like the old fine screwdriver. For models with the chisel, there will be either 4 or 5 back tools. From l-r in the pic below - corkscrew, new fine screwdriver, chisel, hook (91+ models), and the awl.

(Image removed from quote.)

er...not that I don't believe you Jazzbass, but from the two pictures, mine looks identical to the chisel in your picture no?  Here is a link that I was looking at from Smartknives...
http://www.smartknives.com/Victorinox-Knives/Victorinox-Champion-Chisel.htm

Thanks

-Dylan Thomas

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 04:58:41 PM

er...not that I don't believe you Jazzbass, but from the two pictures, mine looks identical to the chisel in your picture no?  Here is a link that I was looking at from Smartknives...
http://www.smartknives.com/Victorinox-Knives/Victorinox-Champion-Chisel.htm

Thanks
And here is their pic of a Champion with chisel

-Dylan Thomas

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 05:06:36 PM
Jazzbass is exactly right, the backtool on the older Champion isn't a chisel but a small screwdriver.  Here's a handy page for looking at the different versions of the tools from different ages.  About half way down you'll see the two versions of the driver and the chisel.

http://victorinox.saam007.com/91mmtools.php#finescrew

I have one of these Champions and can tell you categorically that it isn't a chisel, whatever smartknives thinks.

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 05:11:45 PM
Jazzbass is exactly right, the backtool on the older Champion isn't a chisel but a small screwdriver.  Here's a handy page for looking at the different versions of the tools from different ages.  About half way down you'll see the two versions of the driver and the chisel.

I have one of these Champions and can tell you categorically that it isn't a chisel, whatever smartknives thinks.

Sweet, thanks for that link!  No disrespect intended to JB, I WAS DUPED!  Lol!

-Dylan Thomas

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 05:12:51 PM
Now there's a good question.  I've always taken the saw+scaler to be one layer, so a SwissChamp is a 7 layer SAK.  I can see why you'd look at it differently though.

+1
A

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 05:16:00 PM
I go by back spring

What about the Cybertool, which uses two springs for the bit driver?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 05:17:33 PM by Spork, Lord of Lime Jello! »

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 27, 2010, 05:16:27 PM
er...not that I don't believe you Jazzbass, but from the two pictures, mine looks identical to the chisel in your picture no?  Here is a link that I was looking at from Smartknives...
Thanks

Yes, I know. That's why I said: "from a pic like that, the chisel DOES look like the old fine screwdriver". Trust me on this one, I have several version of both types - it's not a chisel.  

edit: Gareth beat me to it.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 05:18:18 PM by jazzbass »

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 05:17:32 PM
Thanks

Yes, I know. That's why I said: "from a pic like that, the chisel DOES look like the old fine screwdriver". Trust me on this one, I have several version of both types - it's not a chisel.  

Want another??  ;) ;)
lol, just kidding.  Thanks for all your help!

-Dylan Thomas

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 05:19:47 PM
Want another??  ;) ;)

It depends... does it have a tool combination I don't have? Champions are like snowflakes - no two are the same. Send me a pic, I might be interested.

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 27, 2010, 05:26:40 PM
Want another??  ;) ;)

It depends... does it have a tool combination I don't have? Champions are like snowflakes - no two are the same. Send me a pic, I might be interested.

Damn...I didn't think you'd actually want another.  You crazy collectors!  I actually already popped it on ebay before I saw your reply, sorry!  Hopefully, it is a model you already have 12 of and are not interested in.

-Dylan Thomas

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: February 27, 2010, 05:31:58 PM
Pop them on here.....NO FEES. And a much faster sale. :ahhh

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: February 27, 2010, 05:42:26 PM

Sweet, thanks for that link!  No disrespect intended to JB, I WAS DUPED!  Lol!

NP Chili, I'll be the first to admit that without seeing the old driver in person it's easy to confuse it for a chisel.  I'd also add that while smartknives is an OK site it's got a few inaccuracies, SAKwiki is much better IMO.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Knife+List
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 05:46:30 PM by Gareth »

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #23 on: February 27, 2010, 05:46:44 PM
Pop them on here.....NO FEES. And a much faster sale. :ahhh
+1 :tu:
And the European members get a shot at them too...  ;) :D

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: February 27, 2010, 06:17:05 PM
Damn...I didn't think you'd actually want another.  You crazy collectors!  I actually already popped it on ebay before I saw your reply, sorry!  Hopefully, it is a model you already have 12 of and are not interested in.

lol... no worries, I think I'm pretty good on the pre-85 Champions  :D.

And, for the record, I really only have one of each Champion... my problem (well one, at least) is that I collect 91mm variants - any differences or changes in the tools is a "different knife" to me. And for Champions, they've been made for so long, and have so many different tools, that finding variants is easy. Almost too easy, unfortunately. Combine that with the fact that they're one of the most popular knives, so finding them is easy and... well I just counted... I have 19 different Champions  :-[

"Hello, my name is jazzbass and I have a problem..."

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: February 27, 2010, 06:30:53 PM

+1
I'm now counting it as two on SAKwiki as I believe it is most accurate, and I believe Victorinox is doing the same.  I use to call it a double layer, but decided based on Vic's labeling that this was not a good idea and some models over the years have added or removed a liner.  A layer is not a uniform thickness so I decided that calling something a double-layer really said little that was important, and make it more confusing when comparing different models.

That's my take anyway.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: February 27, 2010, 06:32:48 PM
Damn...I didn't think you'd actually want another.  You crazy collectors!  I actually already popped it on ebay before I saw your reply, sorry!  Hopefully, it is a model you already have 12 of and are not interested in.

lol... no worries, I think I'm pretty good on the pre-85 Champions  :D.

And, for the record, I really only have one of each Champion... my problem (well one, at least) is that I collect 91mm variants - any differences or changes in the tools is a "different knife" to me. And for Champions, they've been made for so long, and have so many different tools, that finding variants is easy. Almost too easy, unfortunately. Combine that with the fact that they're one of the most popular knives, so finding them is easy and... well I just counted... I have 19 different Champions  :-[

19!? :o

I had no idea that there were so many variations on the Champion.

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: February 27, 2010, 06:45:18 PM

lol... no worries, I think I'm pretty good on the pre-85 Champions  :D.

And, for the record, I really only have one of each Champion... my problem (well one, at least) is that I collect 91mm variants - any differences or changes in the tools is a "different knife" to me. And for Champions, they've been made for so long, and have so many different tools, that finding variants is easy. Almost too easy, unfortunately. Combine that with the fact that they're one of the most popular knives, so finding them is easy and... well I just counted... I have 19 different Champions  :-[

Hahahahaha! 

-Dylan Thomas

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: February 27, 2010, 06:53:11 PM
19!? :o

I had no idea that there were so many variations on the Champion.

Oh, yeah - 19. 10 "new" (mag layer) and 9 "old" (no mag, long file). And I know of at least 10 variants I don't have. Now keep in mind this really goes down to the nit-picky minutia level with some of them.

The Champion was introduced in 1952. Since then, the main blade has changed 7 times (tang stamps, thickness), the pen blade twice, the file 4 times, the scissors 8 times, the awl 4 times, the mag/phillips layer, 5 times, fish scaler 5 times, the cap lifter 4 times, the can opener twice, the saw 4 times, and the key ring 4 times, the corkscrew four times, the back side phillips (for early models) 3 (maybe 4) times, the fine screwdriver twice and they added two new back tools (chisel and hook). Put all of those variations together in different combinations and it's very, very easy to get a unique Champion. That's why I say Champions are like snowflakes - no two are the same.

Champions are great mod-fodder knives, so if I see one selling for cheap on eBay I'll pick it up. If it's different in any way, I clean it up and put it in the collection. If it's a duplicate and not nicer than the one I already have, it gets torn apart for parts.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 07:25:59 PM by jazzbass »

br Offline M.TEX

Reply #29 on: February 27, 2010, 07:21:44 PM
 Victorinox with many layers are fun....just like chubby woman...  :D
  :oops: I think I have said too much  :think:
M.TEX

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85