Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Useless implements

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Useless implements
on: July 11, 2007, 01:15:43 AM
I guess "useless" is subjective, and perhaps a little harsh, but there are tools on many SAKs and tools that I get asked about all the time.

The awl is one of them, and is the utility hook on the back of most 91mm SAKs.  Anyone who has been around here for a bit knows full well that I am not a huge fan of folding lanyard rings or numerous flatheads either.  One, maybe two flatheads are enough, but a bit holder seems like a much more sensible concept.  That's a discussion for another thread though!

In testing I have also found that certain bottle openers don't work on certain shapes of bottles.  Don't believe me?  Try a Gerber MP600 on a "stubbie" beer bottle!

What implements strike you as very limited or useless?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Re: Useless implements
Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 01:49:04 AM
The bottle opener on my Blast is useless against a bottle of Newcastle Ale!

Other than iffy bottle/can openers (works on some things, not on others), and the fold out laynyard ring, I don't see anything as "useless".  I think I used the awl on my multi once, but when I needed it it worked like a charm...

Last night I could have used that parcel hook on lots of SAKs...I was trying to thread a lenghth of doubled over paracord through an eyelet on a sheath...I ended up using my Craftsman pokey tool :pok:
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 02:39:17 AM
Using the right tool for a job?  I think that goes against everything we stand for here!   ;D

I have often thought about doing a "Many uses for the useless hook" article for SOSAKOnline, but it's been one of those pet projects in the back of my mind.  Maybe one of these days I'll do it, but recently it's been in my thoughts somewhat more often, and I think this email I got is partly responsible:

Hey, Def; maybe I'm just too much of a newbie, and everybody else knows these things -- but.....

Might it be a good idea for a SOSAK newsletter article about that doggoned HOOK, and what the Swiss were thinking when they put it in?

And maybe you could pen a few lines about that hole in the awl.  I'd like to learn how to use it, and the only possible function I can think of is sewing burlap together.....

Admittedly, again about a SAK, but there are some multitool implements I doubt I'll ever have much use for.  Of course, like you said, when I need them I'll be glad they are there!

One that I rarely use, and am not certain if anyone else does, is the wire stripper notch.  Admittedly it is part of another implement, and I'd rather have it than not since it really takes up no space, but does anyone actually use it?  Also, recently in SOSAK there was a discussion about how useful the can opener is nowadays, what with most cans having pull tops, but I still open my share of regular can openers, so I wouldn't call it useless... yet.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 03:00:31 AM
I've never used the wire stripper notch on ANY tool...I always use the wire cutters to cut the insulation then pull it off..

And I'd say 75% of cans I come across need a tool to open them...the "high end" soups and stuff have the pull tops, but things like tuna and veggies dont. 

Maybe that mysterious hook can be used as a key to pull back the top of canned hams? 8)

[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 03:16:00 AM
I've used the hook for that many times:

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=31&page=view&catid=2&key=139&hit=1

I guess I have a higher percentage of pull top cans because I don't eat veggies or tuna! :P

Maybe a certain grocery store type individual who is a prominent member here might chime in with any can type observations he may have?

Def

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 08:12:03 AM
I think the can opener is one of the tools I use the most.  I eat a lot of chunk chicken, and I don't buy the pull top cans.

I think the tools I use the least are the awl (unless I need a new hole in my belt) and the bottle opener.  (I buy twist offs :) )
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 10:49:06 AM
Defender, you and I are polar opposites when it comes to the implements we value.   :grin:

Corkscrews, bottle openers, and can openers are useful to some people, but I almost never use them. 

On the other hand, I use the lanyard attachment, the smallest straight screwdriver blade, and the awl among other tools.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 10:53:13 AM
I guess "useless" is subjective, and perhaps a little harsh, but there are tools on many SAKs and tools that I get asked about all the time.  The awl is one of them, and is the utility hook on the back of most 91mm SAKs.

I've used the SAK awl many times over the years for punching holes through leather, thick canvas, etc.  Also good for sewing leather and canvas.  I've seen too many improvised uses for the SAK awl to list them all.

The SAK is after all an Army knife, which means its origins lie in outdoor utility.  Outdoors people commonly need to punch holes, sew, open cans and bottles, and even remove corks from bottles of wine.

Anyone who has been around here for a bit knows full well that I am not a huge fan of folding lanyard rings or numerous flatheads either.  One, maybe two flatheads are enough, but a bit holder seems like a much more sensible concept.  That's a discussion for another thread though!

Personally, I prefer three flatheads that cover everything from eyeglasses to larger screws.

Folding lanyard rings strike me as wasteful because they take up a space that could be used for another tool.  Some sort of a lanyard attachment is desirable for people who work around water or up high.

What implements strike you as very limited or useless?

Personally, the corkscrew is fairly useless for me.  I never buy wine in bottles with corks.  Supposedly, the corkscrew can be useful working with rope for help to untie knots.

The bottle opener and can opener might be useless to some, but even if they are never used they take up no extra spaces because they are also the basis of two useful flathead screwdrivers.

N

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 03:25:24 PM
Put a little eyeglass screwdriver in the corkscrew, and it becomes useful ;D
[

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 10:57:52 PM
You got that right  ;)

The tool I use the least is probably the pharmaceutical (sp?) spatula.

Wait...
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 03:35:56 AM
I'm not certain I have ever used that either, or the cuticle pusher on a MiniChamp. 

Def

Offline znapschatz

Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 05:21:06 AM
I'm not certain I have ever used that either, or the cuticle pusher on a MiniChamp. 

Def

I have used the cuticle pusher on a minichamp as a flathead screwdriver, a tiny spoon to maneuver small pills, a scraper, and actually, a couple of times for its intended purpose.

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 10:52:31 AM
Here's a few more...

-any can opener...I've used the screwdriver on the can opener of my wenger SI more than the can opener itself...and I'd trade the can opener on my kick for a regular cap lifter anyday...(it would be cool if you could remove the lanyard ring along with it and replace them with another implement and the carabiner/bottle opener combo found on the LM knives)

-LANYARD RINGS...folding ones, anyway.

-corkscrews, don't drink that much wine, and I've got a nice Vic/Forschner wine tool that works better than any SAK when I do.

although I really use the awl on my sak quite often..which surpises me...and I actually have used the little notch on the opener to strip wire..although I would not make a habit of it.
"

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 12:13:30 AM
I can't believe the Flair hasn't come up yet in this thread!!!!  :D That one deserves special mention!

My Yeas:
-Screwdrivers. The more the merrier, as long as I don't feel like I'm short of other tools. (sorry Def  :D)
-Lanyard rings. I like using small tools as keychains. I sometimes hang middle sized ones in my pocket. And on the big ones it takes up so little space that it doesn't bother me. I like when they are cleverly placed out the way(Charge/Wave/Surge, Juice, Pulse are a few I thought of).

My Nays:
-I agree that the "V" notch is pretty limited usefullness, I can strip wire much better with the cutters.  :cry:
-I've never used a corkscrew in my life, so I don't want to carry one around in my pocket all the time...

My YeaNay  ???
-I'm not settled on the can/bottle opener thing. I don't use them often, but when I need one and have it I appreciate it again, and when I need one and don't have one (read: KF4) I feel like this:  >:( , and then  ::) .

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 12:58:05 AM
I've used the corkscrew on my Sportsman a few times when the 'real' corkscrew was either missing or broken altogether.  There was a doozy of a cork a few months ago that needed the extra leverage of a two foot crow bar wedged between the SAK and the bottle to get it open. 

The SAK didn't bend, loosen, or break...I had a bit more respect for it after that
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD