Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tasmanian Tiger tool pouch. Pro’s and con’s.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Tasmanian Tiger tool pouch. Pro’s and con’s.
on: March 02, 2010, 10:22:48 PM
I have had this for almost a year now and I have mixed feelings about it.

There are 2 major setbacks to the pouch, the first is that it rides pretty low if you have a regular belt on you, can be a bit annoying if you don’t like to tell the world that you are carrying a tool, but if you have a wide belt it doesn’t ride that low.

The second part is getting the tool out of the pouch, if you have a Powerlock then it won’t be that much of an hassle as you can se in the pic

But if you got a SURGE then it’s another case, the tool rides so low in the pouch that if you need to get the tool out very quick the you will have a problem.

But if you got a pouch like this then you have a good excuse for putting a lanyard on it. It comes out of the pouch smooth and quick after I attached the lanyard.

I have sometimes experienced that getting the tool back in the pouched that the lock can get hocked on the side, the pouch is such a tight fit for the Supertool 300, but a little wiggling will get it in. It is probably more important getting the tool out quick than getting it back in quick.

As you can se in the pic they have sown on a peace of heavy fabric giving an exposed area extra protection.

Overall the pouch is OK, if you don’t like Velcro then you will like this pouch and the fact that the flap is secured with a buckle you have eliminated the chance that it might accidentally open if you are crawling on the ground or getting in and out of a car often. It is a quality pouch that is made in Vietnam but the drawbacks that I listed on the top is to big too ignore so it won’t get two thumbs up, just one.
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Tasmanian Tiger tool pouch. Pro’s and con’s.
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 10:45:22 PM
It looks as though the qualities good, but I agree with you that it'd be tough to live with :-\
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 03:48:08 AM
The examples I have seen were well made. Microtech used to supply similar pouches for their folders ,and auto's . I like the buckle as opposed to velcro , but I'm not too keen on the way they ride , and the added thickness .

Chris

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 05:44:49 AM
Takes me too long to fasten a buckle with one hand and I prefer a snap closure.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 06:04:46 AM
I like a nice heavy snap myself..

One remedy you could try if you want to carry the surge is fill the bottom of the sheath with something like a peice of cloth.  The Surge will rest on the cloth and give you more more "tool" at the top.
[

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 02:34:53 PM
Looks to me that that piece started as a Mag pouch , folders and multi's were an afterthought . The buckle is good in that it can be opened quietly .That's one thing I hate about Velcro .

Chris

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 06:20:05 PM
One remedy you could try if you want to carry the surge is fill the bottom of the sheath with something like a peice of cloth.  The Surge will rest on the cloth and give you more more "tool" at the top.

That's a good idea that I have to try out

What size would i need for a core ?

http://www.firsttactical.com/Tasmanian_Tiger_MTS_Tool_Pouch_p/tt_7692.htm

You would need the Medium pouch, that's what my Supertool 300 rides in.
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%