Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Using out of production items...

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Using out of production items...
on: July 11, 2007, 01:56:07 AM
I'm having second thoughts about taking my Becker BK-7 on it's first camping trip since that knife has skyrocketed in value since Camillus went under.  I was thinking of buying a camp 'user' like an Ontario pilots knife or a Ka-Bar and keeping the mint Becker in a safe place...then again I bought the Becker with USE in mind...but that was BEFORE it became valuable :cry:  What would you do?

And while I'm on the subject...I'm having second thoughts about this week long camping trip altogether...7 days, but it's a family camp site type thing...it even has outhouses and we'd be bringing up a trailer, so it's not TRUE camping.  I think it's on a lake or river...I don't know though...SEVEN days... :ahhh
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Using out of production items...
Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 02:32:57 AM
What would I do? Me? First I would SELL the Becker so I could afford more multitools. Then I would SELL the camper so I could afford more multitools. And finally, if a buyer could be found, I would SELL the outhouses so I could afford more multitools.

There now, that wasn't so hard after all, was it?  :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 02:43:14 AM
Is that rule #3 of MT.O?

#3 - Sell everything you own of value and buy more multitools...
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 02:53:59 AM
Sell everything you own... if you are like me the only things of value you have are the multitools!  :multi:

The issue of use or investment is a hard choice to make- some folks will tell you to use it because it's worthless holding down a shelf, and others will tell you that anything that could increase in value is worth keeping nice.  A prominent member on another forum is usually one of the first guys to say use it no matter what, but I remember at least one instance where he found something that was too nice to use.  It sickened him, and he eventually threw it out the window in frustration.  An hour later he ventured out into the pouring rain and retrieved the knife from the sidewalk where it landed and the decision was made- it was scratched already, so it was a user.  Part of me is pretty darned proud of him, and another part of me is frustrated when another friend and prominent forum member makes buttloads of cash off his investment knives.  He has many more SAKs than I do, and while I still have more multis, I doubt that would last long if he put his mind to it.  He has the ready cash from the deals he makes.

My theory is, if it does what you want it to, then it should do that job.  If you bought it as an investment, then sell it and make the money.  If you bought it because you need a good knife/tool/car etc then it was a waste of money if it never performs knife duties.  Now you not only have spent money on that knife, but you also have to spend money on another knife to replace it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline tomcrx

Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 03:01:34 AM
Use it.

If you don't want to use it, sell it and buy something you will use and pocket the difference.

Tools by definition and design should be used. I have hand planes from the 20's and 30's I use everyday.
I have a hand filed ball-peen hammer that my great-grandfather made for his machinist's test out of a block of steel. Still use it all the time.

I love tools, the ones I don't use I tend to give away or sell for less then I pay for them 90% of the time.
Serious collectors probably would have made great money from the stuff that has passed through my hands.
Using a great tool completes the experience that just owning can never do. Looking at the tool gives you
an an inkling of why it was considered a good tool. Real use delivers that potential. You suddenly know why old Stanley Bailey or Bed Rock planes are so admired or why people hold onto their old Fluke meters.

I guess that is why my wife calls it my "hobby" because if I made money with it it would be my job :)

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 03:09:44 AM
I might save it as an investment item...sell it when I could really use the money.  The Becker has already more than doubled what I paid for it.  If money were no object, then I woulden't worry about the $150 (and more in the future) that I can get for it...but money is an object right now :)  If it was handed down or given to me by someone, or had some kind of sentimental value, then it would be diffrent..

For a high end knife like the Becker, I'll probably get something from the Ontario RAT series...and right after I receive it, they'll become scarce and skyrocket in value :twak:

[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 03:17:54 AM
I'm kicking myself for selling my Becker Necker...

That was a great little knife.   :-[

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 03:19:25 AM
This is depressing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Becker-BK-T-Necker-knife_W0QQitemZ330137433116QQihZ014QQcategoryZ43326QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

$100+ shipping.  I think i sold it for $35 or so.... which is about what I paid for it so I guess I can't complain too much, right?

Def

Offline tomcrx

Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 03:43:44 AM
This is depressing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Becker-BK-T-Necker-knife_W0QQitemZ330137433116QQihZ014QQcategoryZ43326QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

$100+ shipping.  I think i sold it for $35 or so.... which is about what I paid for it so I guess I can't complain too much, right?

Def

No regrets you enjoyed it, but not enough to keep it :) 

For every story of fortune from a collection there is always one of dread and ruin. I knew a collector that collected old mill and rabbet planes, House burned down and insurance covered about 20%. He could not afford the extra riders. I knew another gentleman that collected old tomahawks and trade knives, he passed and his widow had a relative help her sell them. She got 5% of what the collection was worth. The sad part was he had entire journals that outlined the history of each item, chain of ownership and value, almost a genealogy for each piece. These were thrown out. Just think of the man hours, love and attention that were simply discarded.

I guess it boils down to your interest. Is it the value or the item? I have friends whose interests and "collections" change every 6 months and spend 40 hours a week "ebaying". This causes them to have and earn a lot more disposable income then I do. :) I respect it, but it just doesn't float my boat.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 03:45:48 AM
I'd use the necker (it IS a great knife) since it's not "pristine".  I still could get a few bucks for it, but then again, I can sell all my music and buy a house with the proceeds...so where does it end?  You can't enjoy actual dollar bills or numbers on a bank statement..

How did you sharpen it BTW Def?
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 01:25:10 AM
I actually never sharpened it, but if I did, I would have used the same thing I use for everything- a regular, plain old dog bone sharpener. 

Def

Offline cosine

Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 01:39:22 AM
Use it. Lately I've been a bit reflective, "Do I own my stuff, or does it own me?" It's hard to overcome the collect/hoard/protect inkling in regard to my stuff, but I'm coming around. If you need to use it, don't hesitate to do so. That's what it's for!

Offline AJ

Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 06:54:23 AM
I'm having second thoughts about taking my Becker BK-7 on it's first camping trip since that knife has skyrocketed in value since Camillus went under.  I was thinking of buying a camp 'user' like an Ontario pilots knife or a Ka-Bar and keeping the mint Becker in a safe place...then again I bought the Becker with USE in mind...but that was BEFORE it became valuable :cry:  What would you do?

And while I'm on the subject...I'm having second thoughts about this week long camping trip altogether...7 days, but it's a family camp site type thing...it even has outhouses and we'd be bringing up a trailer, so it's not TRUE camping.  I think it's on a lake or river...I don't know though...SEVEN days... :ahhh

So did you go on the camping trip yet?
Did you use the knife or leave it home?

Do tell.....

[

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 02:49:29 PM

So did you go on the camping trip yet?
Did you use the knife or leave it home?

Do tell.....

The next outing was cancelled, but there is another one in early August I'll be going on.  I've decided not to use the Becker; I'm searching for a cheap Army issue knife ;D
[

Offline AJ

Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 02:52:12 PM
Sounds great,

[

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #15 on: July 31, 2007, 04:22:21 AM
I received one of these earlier today:

Perfect knife for what I want to do, except for the "sawback" which from the looks of it won't work with wood.  It's a nice heavy blade, and the sheath is great...the pics online make it look like crap, but it's built well.  For $30 you can't go wrong.
[

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #16 on: July 31, 2007, 10:21:37 AM
I,ve got a Becker Necker and I had no idea they were getting so valuble ::), I,ve used and lighty modified mine so it'll be worth next to nothing now though :cry:

It,s a difficult call wether or not to use something valuble or not, I,ve had some nice expensive knives in the past that were far to pretty to use :cry: so generally mostly through neccesity there all gone, and I'm just left with the old reliable knives now days :)

A mate of mine's got a good mantra ''buy what you want and if ya don't use it in 6 months sell it on'', which i think works kinda well.
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #17 on: August 01, 2007, 12:27:07 AM
I,ve got a Becker Necker and I had no idea they were getting so valuble ::), I,ve used and lighty modified mine so it'll be worth next to nothing now though :cry:

You'd be surprised...as long as it isn't mutilated/wrecked or anything you'd get a few bucks for it.
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: August 01, 2007, 12:50:02 AM
Nope.. it's worthless now... might as well send it to me!   >:D

Def

Reply #19 on: August 01, 2007, 08:58:58 AM
Nope.. it's worthless now... might as well send it to me!   >:D

Def
I,m keeping it in reserve as a bribe for the next time you,ve got a give away multi i want >:D ;D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: August 07, 2007, 04:20:19 PM
Bribe away...  ;D

Def

Reply #21 on: August 07, 2007, 09:03:25 PM
Bribe away...  ;D

Def
nudge, nudge, wink wink ;) ;) ;D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: August 07, 2007, 09:29:12 PM
She a go-er eh?

Def

Reply #23 on: August 07, 2007, 10:18:07 PM
She a go-er eh?

Def
I don,t know what you mean ??? ;) ;D

Donations

Operational Funds