Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Skeletool???

665ae · 141 · 15699

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Skeletool???
Reply #30 on: July 13, 2007, 01:29:54 AM
That "clip" is what I alluded to as being something else.  Unless you get half the tool and the carabiner sticking out, I can't see it as a clip.  That's why I was suggesting a small bit holder, which would be a great companion to the bit driver.  I'm thinking something similar to the knives that have the cutouts for extra bits.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #31 on: July 13, 2007, 02:03:39 AM
I'm too lazy to keep flipping back to page one. Def, I linked to your picture here so I won't have to:

« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 04:32:43 AM by J-sews »
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: July 13, 2007, 02:05:43 AM
Here's another pic, one that we have seen before from Equipped.org's SHOT SHOW report. It shows the Freestyle in the folded position.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #33 on: July 13, 2007, 02:28:30 AM
To quote; ".....There's a bit holder that unfolds out the end of the handle with the knife blade. Two double-ended screwdriver bits (the same proprietary flattened style as used on the latest Wave and Charge, etc.) are included....."

I'm thinking the bit driver unfolds from the tool while it is in the closed position. (At least I hope they had the good sense to engineer it that way!)

I also think the carbon fiber section is just one layer among several in the "sandwich" style construction of the left handle. Perhaps its only purpose is to provide the little cutout section for the spare bit? Keep in mind that the carabiner is a single sheet of metal, folded into a channel shape, that must run all the way up to the plier pivot. (Visualize: the plier head folds down and rests alongside the spare bit.)

I don't see a pocket clip.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 02:30:44 AM by J-sews »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: July 13, 2007, 02:50:49 AM
One would think they would show it at it's best- why would they leave the bit driver open?  Strange things are afoot at the Circle K...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #35 on: July 13, 2007, 02:51:43 AM
Anyone else see it or am I crazy?

* Untitled-2 copy.jpg (Filesize: 41.58 KB)
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #36 on: July 13, 2007, 03:00:47 AM
Hmmmm....maybe....but that rivet head down on the end makes me think that it isn't a pocket clip?

* rivet.jpg (Filesize: 31.72 KB)

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #37 on: July 13, 2007, 03:02:19 AM
It might also be a simple ball bearing type thing to help retain the clip onto the pocket.
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #38 on: July 13, 2007, 03:09:11 AM
It might also be a simple ball bearing type thing to help retain the clip onto the pocket.

I hope so!! A tool like this really begs to be carried with a pocket clip.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #39 on: July 13, 2007, 03:11:01 AM
It looks like it's fastened at both ends to me too.

Def

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #40 on: July 13, 2007, 04:43:54 AM
I was really looking forward to something by Leatherman that was along the lines of the Zilla, course now they got me wondering what is going to happen and how are they going to ruin it. Skeletool? Do I like the name? No, sounds more like Skeletor from He-Man. Would I carry it.......Only if it had a pocket clip.

That's right Leatherman, you read these forums :twak: Listen to us tool folk, we know what were talking about!

David

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: July 13, 2007, 05:05:19 AM
Hmmmm. Altogether now I have seen a total of five different photographs of this Freestyle/Skeletool device, and not a goll darn one of them has shown the backside of the tool, opposite the knife blade.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but it makes me think they're hiding something..... :-\

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: July 13, 2007, 09:51:07 AM
ok, i don't get this at all, maybe i am just being thick; what is the point of being able to fold the bit driver? Why not just fix it into a locked position? Is it to protect the bit you may have placed in it? To stop the bit from falling out when using the pliers and the handles are open?

The one major disappointing aspect of this tool (apart from its name) is that the bit driver cannot be used when the tool is closed, maybe with the way the design is there was no way for LM to make it so, either way, it is a shame, since when you open the tool it doesnt lock in any position and so IMO it becomes more difficult to use the driver (apart from the obvious point that most would prefer being able to use the driver without moving / opening anything else)

Offline umberto00

Reply #43 on: July 13, 2007, 09:07:11 PM
From the picture of the Freestyle, it looks like the bit driver doesn't fold at all (look closely -- no locking mechanism). That doesn't bother me-- I tend to use the screwdrivers with both handles opened. It makes for a longer driver, as opposed to having the handles completely closed. I like the design. All you need to do is open it up and use the driver -- 1 step. Other leathermans, you need to open the handles, pull out the driver, then close the handles back up. 3 steps.

Offline umberto00

Reply #44 on: July 13, 2007, 09:14:09 PM
Just noticed that there is no nail nick on the bit driver. The driver definately does not fold into the body. It is always out.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: July 13, 2007, 10:46:46 PM
With all due respect, I disagree completely.  There are several cues that point to the bit driver folding rather than remaining outside.  However, as has been pointed out, it is apparently unnecessary to actually fold the driver as it doesn't seem like it would get in the way.

Def

* Skeletool.JPG (Filesize: 33.92 KB)

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #46 on: July 14, 2007, 12:21:49 AM
I would agree, to make it more compact and pocktable it would have to have a folding driver.

David

Offline joebw

Reply #47 on: July 14, 2007, 12:52:41 AM
Hi Def,

Go have a look at the large photos in the review that Doug Ritter did of the Freestyle.  After a few ratio measurements, I conclude that the bit holder does not fold.  The "pivot" you point to appears to be one of the two rivets holding the BH to the frame.  I think the closed photo shown is missing the BH.

In any case, the excitement hightens - November is not too far away (sorry Bob).

Def - can you ask the difference between the two models of your contact and share that with us?

Thanks - Joe

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #48 on: July 14, 2007, 01:22:08 AM
I'm still undecided on this whole bit driver debate.

Def,
I think your "nail nick" might well be the channel that holds the little bit retainer spring. (Take a look at the bit driver on a Charge or a Surge and you'll see what I mean.)

Joe,
I agree, the size ratios don't seem quite right to allow pivoting. Yet why else would they have the TWO large rivets so close to one another, as can be seen through the large side holes? I would think that only one rivet would be adequate if the bit driver was fixed.

I dunno, I'm too wishy-washy. Despite what Joe says, November is a lifetime away. In the mean time, all we can do is speculate.

PhotoShop speculation:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #49 on: July 14, 2007, 05:50:23 AM
Or are you guys imagining the bit driver folds to the inside?

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: July 14, 2007, 11:11:02 AM
If the bit driver folds in that way, and somehow locks at 90 degrees, then am I right in thinking it could be used when the tool is closed? If so, then thats pretty good, but again, I doubt this is the case, I might not be so sceptical if bit drivers on other LM tools locked at 90 degrees as well as 180 degrees.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #51 on: July 15, 2007, 12:38:40 AM
I could be wrong as well, but if you look at the pictures of the tool closed, the driver apears to be in the same position, kinda inside the carabiner. So I am guessing it does not pivot in any direction.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #52 on: July 15, 2007, 04:09:18 AM
Rainy morning here in Michigan, so I spent some time playing with my photo editor, fiddling with Def's Skeletool picture.

The first picture (below) is almost the same as the original, except that the plier jaws are closed and the knife blade is fully folded away. Nothing new here really. Note that if the bit driver discussed earlier is truly fixed in place, it would not be very usable with the tool in this position.

Next is an edit with the tool fully folded away. It appears to be a very lightweight and compact carry. (Again, I certainly hope there is a pocket clip on the back side!) Also note that a fixed bit driver cannot be used with the tool in this position.

As a matter of fact, the only really practical position for a fixed bit driver to be used is in the "stretched" position, as Spoonrobot calls it. (shown below)

Nothing wrong with screwing in the stretched position I suppose. ::) 
It is a bit more awkward than screwdriving with a multitool in the fully closed position, however IMO, any type of screwdriving with a multitool is always an awkward affair. All the more reason for a ratcheting bit driver mechanism some day.

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #53 on: July 15, 2007, 07:53:19 PM
Hi..my first post. I'm a big multitool fan and have been waiting for a tool like this one. But I would like a pocket clip as well. If the bit holder actually folds all the way back in you could just remove the carbiner and use the screwdrivers folded. Then again I seem to modify everything... ;D

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #54 on: July 15, 2007, 08:44:27 PM
Hi gadgetman7, welcome to the forum. This is a great place for modders!

Like everyone else, I too am a little worried about the pocket clip issue. In the little description they sent out I noticed it says: "Easily clips onto a belt, pack, or vest, no sheath required." Notice no mention of the pocket.   :(

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #55 on: July 15, 2007, 10:16:01 PM
I have been wrong before, and it's possible it's happening again, but to me, it seems like the folding bit driver makes the most sense for Leatherman because that's what they already have.  It's easier for them to use existing parts rather than make new ones that do the exact same job as existing ones.

Yes, it does look like it was open in the few closed pictures of the tool, however that may be from someone handling it and not closing it since those aren't official photos of the tool.

In addition, if the tool was left open, if would increase the likelihood of a lost bits- in the closed position, much like the Surge/Charge etc, the bit would be safely tucked inside the body.

I also don't see Leatherman designing such an obvious and substantial carabiner on a tool if they were also making a pocket clip.  And, as I pointed out before, the small hunk of metal that looks like it may be a pocket clip, would leave too substantial a portion of the tool sticking out of a pocket if it was.

That's just my thought though- it's possible that I'm mistaken entirely, but we're having a great time debating it!

Def

Offline damota

Reply #56 on: July 15, 2007, 11:12:41 PM
I think there will be no pocket clip.  The second rivet is to hold the end of the bent handle to form the groove to hold that spare bit. From the photos I have seen I think the screwdriver socket is unlikely to fold (that could be one of the changes being sorted).

Hi,

I suspect that the reason for no pictures is the following from the Leatherman newsletter.

"Last minute tweaks are being made to designs as this is being written this, so stay tuned for more information and visuals."

Joe

I hope it is more than that, as it is this tool is a lost opertunity, it needs a decent knife blade at least 3" cutting edge (from one of their knives) and for goodness sake get rid of that carabiner (makes the tool too gimmicky takes up space the decent blade needs) and put a pocket clip on instead. Then they would have a decent EDC.
Just dreaming I guess.

Dave
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 11:14:28 PM by damota »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #57 on: July 15, 2007, 11:34:41 PM
The best hope is the consistent message we seem to be getting from Leatherman that there will be several versions. Hopefully there will be a model that is just right for everyone. (More wishful thinking, I know.)  ::)

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #58 on: July 15, 2007, 11:53:15 PM
This is the information that I got from Leatherman back in March about the Freestyle:

This is in response to your internet e-mail message rec'd in our offices over the weekend.  I consulted with our Marketing dept. since we do not have very much information about the Freestyle in Customer Service just yet.  It won't be out until later this year.  The information they provided is:

The tool has a 2.6 inch blade, and the prototypes weigh in at about 5 oz.  The carabiner is a part of the handle and does not fold into the handle.  The bit driver is housed inside the carabiner without hindering the performance of the carabiner. The prototypes are 5/8” thick.

The review on Equipped.org says the screwdriver does fold. http://www.equipped.org/shot_show_2007_knives4.htm I hope it does. Makes for more modding options.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #59 on: July 16, 2007, 12:51:55 AM
I'd just like you all to know that I had no interest in this tool until this friggin thread took off...

Will all the discussion/debate about the bit driver, how things fold, and if they fold, I'm going to have to get one just to find out for myself... hehe
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%