Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your cleaning regime?

tosh · 4 · 1245

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
What's your cleaning regime?
on: October 27, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
Like most on here, I can't seem to turn away from yet another MT or SAK...Damn them. They're so addictive.. :gimme:  :mail:  :gimme:  :mail:  :gimme:  :mail: ...........

Anyway, I guess we all check them over to make sure nothings loose, broken or worst rusty  :ahhh.
Then what??

Me?? I clean them...I find it almost theraputical, soothing, calming....................nurse!!!

Once established that it's just dirt, grease, paint, tar, wood resin etc etc etc but nothing major.
I put the tool and pouch into boiling water with mild detergent. then scrub everything with an old toothbrush, brillo pad etc etc  the pouch is scrubbed too (nylon obviously).
Meanwhile the oven has already been turned on...
The tool is removed, patted with kitchen towels and then placed on cooking foil and put in the oven for 30mins.
If it's a SAK I remove the scales first (they're buffed up to like new using Brasso), if it's an MT and has plastic parts fitted then I place it over the floor vents (warm air heating system).

After 30mins in the oven or 1 hour over the floor grill - it's picked up with tongs taken into the garage, placed on wood and sprayed with copious amounts of WD40 (both sides of the tool) and left to cool down.
Upto now every time I've done this, they work so smoothly afterwards...slick is the word!!
The pouches are stuffed with newspaper and air dried or put over the flloor vents.

So.. (sad I know) - but does anyone have a different method??
I recently picked up the PSTII from the local free-ads, wrong pouch  (placed an ad in the wanted section below  :pok:) - way too big/modern for that era. But the tool itself is okay apart from one flaw.....
The blade looks like it's been took it to bench grinder  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh  - no bluing whatsoever, so I guess the steel temper is still okay. But the scratches...arrgh.

They're not deep at all but I'd like to get them out if possible. What's the best method??
Buffing wheel?, belt sander? I've got both but have never attempted it before and don't know really what's the best way to go about it. Ideally I'd like to recreate the "grain" of the steel as it was originally.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated??

Thanks

Tosh  :salute:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 11:51:51 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: What's your cleaning regime?
Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 08:55:04 PM
With a multitiool, I will spray a down until it is dripping wet with WD-40, and let it sit for a day or so to let the mineral spirits work on any gunk and allow the mineral oil component to work its way into the pivots.   They clean with a rag and q-tips.

A dirty sheath with go in a bucket with Dawn dishwashing liquid and hot water for a 24 hours soak, then drip and air dry.

A SAK may be the same treatment as a multitool, though I have also run them through a dishwasher cycle with all of the tools open.

I'd like to get a small ultrasonic bath, which would be good for a lot of things besides MTs and SAKs.  Like Mrs. Powernoodle's wedding ring.

There are plenty of ways to do these things, but you are right that there is something very satisfying about it.  And its another chance to play with your toys.

us Offline stealth007s

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 05:56:50 AM
I just run my MTs through the dishwasher every couple weeks and lube them lightly.

Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

gr Offline MARIOS7319

• Happiness depends upon ourselves. Aristotle
Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 10:07:39 PM
About cleaning SAK's, the only thing to watch is to not to put in hot (even in lukewarm) water a old Sak.
The scales on these knives tend to shrink even to a few minutes in the water.
I found out with the hard way. :(

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD