Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK & MT Can Opener, Tradition or Function?

Offline andre0407

Re: SAK & MT Can Opener, Tradition or Function?
Reply #30 on: March 06, 2010, 04:16:05 AM
Well I guess I just like to have one. Better to have it all the time than want it but realized that you left it with the rest of the tools at home. But on a MT, if it doesn't have a can opener I would want an awl, or c4 punch.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: March 06, 2010, 04:54:58 AM
Here the pre made meal tend to have pull top, but about half don't. Other types mostly don't have pull top.

I'd rather they don't come with pull top thou, a penny increase in cost at manufacturer's end could translate to anywhere between ten cents to a dollar more at retailer.

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #32 on: March 06, 2010, 05:29:24 AM
Current items that can replace a can opener on the opener layer are the electrician's blade or the pruner blade, though - and I don't quite know because I've not seen an attempt - the watch case opener blade /may/ fit, but I can't be certain; beyond that, the only other can opener-replacement tool that comes to mind is the discontinued Technician's long screwdriver, which I honestly think shouldn't have been discontinued. :/

I like both the electrician's blade and the pruner blade.  I like the Vic Electrician better than the Pioneer or Alox Soldier.  I have more uses for the electrician's blade than the can opener.

See I know backpacking I would never take cans with me, but car camping, why not? No use living in squander if it isn't necessary as my Eco and Adventure Tourism professor always says. When I go on class camping trips, or club group camps, I always end up having to open cans for people that pack canned-food and no opener. Which I don't mind, since I am usually the prepared one anyway, and I make them pay me with beer >:D

If you're car camping you can bring all kinds of luxurious comforts, why settle for a can opener on a MT or SAK?  Bring an electric can opener to plug into the 115v outlets in cars now.   :D    I guess Mountain House meals aren't as popular as they seem.  I like things I can make by adding a cup or two of boiling water.  Moutain House, oatmeal, hot chocolate, coffee, ramen, etc. 
[

us Offline SlackOne

• See Saw Seen
Reply #33 on: March 06, 2010, 05:46:32 AM
Is there a chart somewhere that shows which tools are interchangeable on Vics?  I had no idea a pruner would fit in the opener layer...
Half-ass done wholeheartedly!

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #34 on: March 06, 2010, 06:56:09 AM
I think if you expand usage to a worldwide scale, both features are still valid and will remain so for some time to come. Tear-open and ring-pull packaging may not be as common in other countries.

SpaghettiO's rock :tu:

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #35 on: March 06, 2010, 07:11:11 AM
If you're car camping you can bring all kinds of luxurious comforts, why settle for a can opener on a MT or SAK?  Bring an electric can opener to plug into the 115v outlets in cars now.   :D    I guess Mountain House meals aren't as popular as they seem.  I like things I can make by adding a cup or two of boiling water.  Moutain House, oatmeal, hot chocolate, coffee, ramen, etc. 

See you just named some of my favourite foods. But I meant that all the less outdoorsy, non-backpacker types bring things that are easy to make, but forget things like an opener, never mind an electric one! I am also trying to become more of an outdoors gourmet, since that is a major section in guiding, which I want to get into. Mountain House is good and all, but pizza, fresh fire baked bannock, and classy noodle dishes get you a lot further in the large group guiding aspect.

And to talk about car camping comforts, I went on a trip this weekend to volunteer for a dogsledding race, and we were out at an outpost. We brought a 10' by 12' canvas wall tent, complete with wood stove.

"No reason to live in squaller"
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: March 06, 2010, 11:51:58 AM
Is there a chart somewhere that shows which tools are interchangeable on Vics?  I had no idea a pruner would fit in the opener layer...

Neil and I did a pretty comprehensive list for parts that fit, without modification, here.  Vic really didn't design their tool to be interchangeable unfortunately.  :-\

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,9808.45.html
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #37 on: March 06, 2010, 12:55:22 PM

Mountain House?  :ahhh

Backpacker's Pantry!   :drool:  Jose's Chicken Mole, Hawaiian Chicken, Jamaica BBQ, Cajun Salmon Inferno...

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #38 on: March 06, 2010, 03:07:54 PM
See you just named some of my favourite foods. But I meant that all the less outdoorsy, non-backpacker types bring things that are easy to make, but forget things like an opener, never mind an electric one! I am also trying to become more of an outdoors gourmet, since that is a major section in guiding, which I want to get into. Mountain House is good and all, but pizza, fresh fire baked bannock, and classy noodle dishes get you a lot further in the large group guiding aspect.
And to talk about car camping comforts, I went on a trip this weekend to volunteer for a dogsledding race, and we were out at an outpost. We brought a 10' by 12' canvas wall tent, complete with wood stove.

"No reason to live in squaller"

I may have to follow you just for the scraps.   :D
[

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #39 on: March 06, 2010, 03:12:21 PM

Neil and I did a pretty comprehensive list for parts that fit, without modification, here.  Vic really didn't design their tool to be interchangeable unfortunately.  :-\

Vic's has the Toolfinder on their website too.  I think Slack maybe thinking of the large pruner blade, not the one on the Alox Pruner.
[

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: March 06, 2010, 03:16:11 PM
I would never be without a can opener in the Ontario bush . If you get lost , delayed etc and were lucky enuff to find a hunt camp , the overwhelming probability is that the food cache would contain cans . I did a quick census on my pantry , o% pull tabs , 100% need can openers .

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #41 on: March 06, 2010, 03:17:30 PM

If you're car camping you can bring all kinds of luxurious comforts, why settle for a can opener on a MT or SAK?  Bring an electric can opener to plug into the 115v outlets in cars now.   :D    I guess Mountain House meals aren't as popular as they seem.  I like things I can make by adding a cup or two of boiling water.  Moutain House, oatmeal, hot chocolate, coffee, ramen, etc.  

Mountain House?  :ahhh

Backpacker's Pantry!  :drool:  Jose's Chicken Mole, Hawaiian Chicken, Jamaica BBQ, Cajun Salmon Inferno...

Thanks Whippy, I've seen them someplace but haven't tried them.  It appears you favor them over Mountain House. :D   Who needs cans......... :tu:
[

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #42 on: March 06, 2010, 03:38:10 PM
I like the can-opener and bottle-opener, I use them once in awhile and when you need them, they are pretty handy and quick also safer then using my blade or other tool/object.

to me they are a Sak tradition, they're small and both only take one layer plus they are nice backup/redundancy tools when I or someone forgets  ;)

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #43 on: March 06, 2010, 08:35:36 PM
For me a can opener is a MUST, there are way too many cans out there that you have to open the good old way that I would exclude it from a tool. I have saved many co-workers lunches with my MT.
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: March 06, 2010, 11:41:36 PM
Just today I opened a soup can with my New Soldier
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #45 on: March 07, 2010, 01:43:43 AM
My vote goes for FUNCTION :tu:

Just went to the cupboard and counted 31 cans (various shapes and contents) one thing they ALL had in common was
THEY NEED A CAN OPENER.

I know that there are freeze dried foods out there and being a veteran I have eaten my share of MRE's
but I like the can opener on the SAK and MT because

If the truth be told if we ever have to leave the house quickly or even
stay in it for a couple days we will be needing those can goods and that can opener.

Just M.H.O :think:

Offline grimm_kaosboy

Reply #46 on: March 07, 2010, 02:32:35 AM
While it definately is tradition, and I wouldn't want to change it...others have amply shown that there are still a bunch of cans out there that need them. Natural disasters can strike, power loss can render the electric can opener useless etc..., the humble SAK opener and lifter can prove a life saver. And as much as I like the combo tool, I still perfer the opener and lifter layer.
T

us Offline SlackOne

• See Saw Seen
Reply #47 on: March 07, 2010, 07:46:48 AM
Is there a chart somewhere that shows which tools are interchangeable on Vics?  I had no idea a pruner would fit in the opener layer...

Neil and I did a pretty comprehensive list for parts that fit, without modification, here.  Vic really didn't design their tool to be interchangeable unfortunately.  :-\

Vic's has the Toolfinder on their website too.  I think Slack maybe thinking of the large pruner blade, not the one on the Alox Pruner.

I was actually thinking about the one from the SwissChamp XLT, which I'm not sure if that's the same as the Alox blade or not.  The smaller style at any rate, not the huge one from the single-blade Pruner.

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: March 07, 2010, 01:04:51 PM
I just wanted to open a can with the pull-top, but the ring broke off. No problem, I had my Spirit in my pocket...  :salute: :salute:
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #49 on: March 07, 2010, 08:11:24 PM
Why do we carry a MT and a EDC lineup? So we can be prepared for almost anything that faith throws at us, therefore having a MT or SAK that have no can opener is to tempt faith……………….or be less prepared at least.
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #50 on: March 07, 2010, 11:08:51 PM
Is there a chart somewhere that shows which tools are interchangeable on Vics?  I had no idea a pruner would fit in the opener layer...

Neil and I did a pretty comprehensive list for parts that fit, without modification, here.  Vic really didn't design their tool to be interchangeable unfortunately.  :-\

Vic's has the Toolfinder on their website too.  I think Slack maybe thinking of the large pruner blade, not the one on the Alox Pruner.

I was actually thinking about the one from the SwissChamp XLT, which I'm not sure if that's the same as the Alox blade or not.  The smaller style at any rate, not the huge one from the single-blade Pruner.

Yeah, the pruner blade on the SwissChamp XLT is the same pruner blade that is on the Alox Pruner.  The Alox Pruner and Electrician replace the can opener with the pruner blade and the electrician blade but keep the bottle opener.  I like the electricians blade a lot. 
[

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: March 08, 2010, 02:06:36 AM
Like the others I have never used / needed the can opener on my MT's and would gladly see it replaced by another tool  :tu:

On the other hand I guess the concept of survival, emergency, etc. is you carry what you might need  :-\ As Woz said, even if every can in the world had a ring pull there has to be a percentage that fail  :ahhh :ahhh

The next question would be what to put in its place?  :think: I assume it would need to be similiar in size

There is a great cartoon I saw again recently with Sylvester the cat :D Basically his owners go on holiday for 2 weeks and leave him in the house. He panics until he finds the cupboard full of tinned food, phew!
However the crafty mouse has taken the can opener and so the fun begins  :rofl:

Now if Sylvester EDC'd his own SAK... :think:

us Offline SlackOne

• See Saw Seen
Reply #52 on: March 08, 2010, 08:54:58 PM
My main "gripe" (if it could even be called that) is that a can opener is a very easy tool to add to something like a keyring, or to have stashed in a pack.  A P-51 and a rubber band, and that functionality is covered.

I wouldn't want to do away with the can opener, I just like the idea of more options that *don't* include a can opener.  That's why I like the concept of the Vic combo tool.  The functionality is still there, but it leaves more room for other options.  I have more of a gripe with bottle openers in multi-tools, really.

I think I'd like a Vic with long blade + combo tool, pruner + [something that fits instead of a bottle opener], saw, scissors, phillips, hook + nailfile, and awl.  With Plus scales ;)

Offline ratslash7

Reply #53 on: March 08, 2010, 10:07:21 PM
 The can opener is my least used too on any of my multi's that have one. I would happily swap the can opener on my TTI for an awl.

I have opened a can with just a pocket knife blade before. It's not pretty but it's doable. In my world the can opener is not a necessity.
A

Offline ratslash7

Reply #54 on: March 08, 2010, 10:19:19 PM
If you go the extra mile and super-sharpen that opener, you could use it as a clamshell opener/seat-belt cutter of sorts... no?  :think:

Yes. Nice idea. I use the orange peeler blade in my Mini-Champ for opening clam shell packages. Similar shape (not exactly). I think I'll sharpen the can opener on my TTI and maybe it'll see more use...couldn't really see less use.
A

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #55 on: March 08, 2010, 11:43:09 PM
When it comes to bottle and (some) can openers it can often be a case of perspective.  Is it a bottle opener, or is it a flat screwdriver with a bottle opener added?  That's certainly the reason so many folks seem to like the Vic can opener, first and foremost it's a very handy sized screwdriver that just so happens to be able to open cans.

So in the case of Vic SAKs I tend to look at it as a layer with two screwdrivers, an awl, wire bender, can opener and bottle opener.

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #56 on: March 08, 2010, 11:52:01 PM
That may be the most function dense layer on a SAK.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: March 09, 2010, 01:42:53 AM
If you really don't like the can opener you could always put a bevel on the outside and make yourself an extra mini blade :D

I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #58 on: March 09, 2010, 01:51:09 AM
That may be the most function dense layer on a SAK.

I hadn't quite thought of it like that, I even missed out the sewing eye on the awl.  makes it 7 functions in one layer, not a bad job of packing the functions in. :)

How about the combo tool/blade layer?  Lets see; blade, can opener, bottle opener, screwdriver, wire bender, corkscrew and mini screwdriver. 7 as well, I don't thing we'll top that.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #59 on: March 09, 2010, 02:14:37 AM
CT bit layer - four double-ended bits plus 4mm hex insert driver - nine functions. :P  Ten if you include the bit holder itself.  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%