Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Camper Question

zeno · 8 · 1660

Offline zeno

Victorinox Camper Question
on: March 05, 2010, 09:17:44 PM
Okay my friends, I am getting very nostalgic and need a little help. 

First the background.  In the early 70s my dad bought me a red Victorinox Camper  :tool: which I was allowed to use for all of my fishing needs whenever we were at the beach or on the bay in Alabama and Florida.  Needless to say, I fished every day all day when I could and I probably cut up more squid, fishing line, and bait fish than all of the deck hands on Deadliest Catch. :D  While the knife might still be in my old tackle box at my parents, I am certain that it is not presently in usable condition.  I would like to buy the exact same knife for my kids to use when they go fishing.

What I need to know from the experts here is whether there is any difference in the present Camper compared to the ones that were made in the early 70s.  If so, what were the differences, how can I date them, and where is the best place to find one?  Thanks for your help. :tu: 

spam Offline Fisting_Chili

• No Life Club
Re: Victorinox Camper Question
Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 09:27:03 PM
I can't help with your questions, but when you get the answers, pop me a link and I can look through what I have.  I think I have a few used campers.
 :cheers:
“Do not go gentle, into that goodnight.  Rage....RAGE against the dying of the light!"

-Dylan Thomas

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 09:27:51 PM
If it was made before '74, the small blade would have been a clip-point, compared to the spear-point small blade on current models, the tweezer end might be metal, or may not be, the toothpick could be changed somewhat (too many minor variations over the years), the Camper might have had a bale, if it was old stock, or might have the current keyring, though on the opposite side of the end (they switched from being placed on the blade layer to the opener layer, with the exception of the Compact), and the current bottle opener/large screwdriver has a half-stop, and will lack the beveled edge of the wire stripper that would've been on yours (and will be almost inconceivably thinner), the awl will have a hole in it, and the current corkscrew will only have four turns, lack the groove, and will accept the mini-driver.

Phew.  Overall, though, they're the same. :)  Though, I'll send you a PM with an offer if my suspicions are correct.

Yeah, PM incoming.

Offline zeno

Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 09:38:26 PM
Guys, I don't know if this helps, but I don't recall mine having tweezers or a toothpick.  Could that be correct?  I also recall that the key ring attachment went from one scale all the way to the other.  The shield was silver inlaid and felt like it was the slightest bit risen when you would run your finger over it.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 09:51:26 PM
Yeah, you had hot-stamped economy scales; oh, forgot a couple other differences:  modern Climbers have a hook on the backspring of the scissor layer, and modern scissors have a small spring-guidance groove on one leg, with the legs being held together with a rivet as opposed to a screw, with some other minor differences between the scissors.  Also, and this isn't always the case, the can opener may have PAT. stamped into the side, though that may be earlier than the years at which you're looking.

Oh, and the blade tang stamping will differ from modern tang stamps, and may be slightly thicker compared to modern tangs.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 09:57:09 PM
It might also have been tang stamped elinox and be a different shade of red (a bit brighter), especially if it didn't have toothpick and tweezers.
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline zeno

Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 09:59:08 PM
If it was made before '74, the small blade would have been a clip-point, compared to the spear-point small blade on current models

Saz, it was definitely the spear point.  Are you sure you don't work for Victorinox? :D  Thanks for all of the help that you are providing.

Neil, it was a darker shade of red.  I might be mistaken about the tweezers and toothpick as I had a couple of different ones when I was younger.  I am very confident that the key ring holder went from one scale to the other.  Thanks.  :tu:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 10:02:18 PM by zeno »

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 10:02:35 PM
If it was made before '74, the small blade would have been a clip-point, compared to the spear-point small blade on current models

Saz, it was definitely the spear point.  Are you sure you don't work for Victorinox? :D  Thanks for all of the help that you are providing.

If I worked for Victorinox, I'd have my own stash of Scientists and Yeomen... granted, I plan on making some, but need to find the time to disassemble some SAKrifices and then start experimenting with mods. ._.  Maybe over spring break? :/

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%