Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Dump Truck Full Of Money Theory

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
The Dump Truck Full Of Money Theory
on: March 06, 2010, 04:12:37 PM
Every once in a while I'll say something about my Dump Truck Full Of Money Theory and it's pretty much a guarantee that I'll get at least one PM asking what the heck that is all about, so I figured I'd post it here rather than having to type it out each time!

It all starts with some guys with a bit of money to invest in something.  He decides to buy some cheap products from the lowliest factories he can find (this is why Chinese made stuff has such a bad name, since much of it is sourced from Chinese makers), and re-sells them to discount chains like Wal Mart.  He buys 10,000 units for about $.50/unit, sells them to the big box store for $5.00/unit, and makes $4.50 profit, then the retailer sells them for $9.88 and makes their profit and everyone's happy.

Then our businessman takes the money he made on that deal and decides he can do better, so he buys a dump truck, fills the back end with cash, and drives it over to the house of the licensee manager of Big Corporation X (Coca Cola, Harley Davidson, Smith & Wesson, Colt, Remington, Winchester, Ford, John Deere etc) and hands the keys to the manager, who is standing there gape- mouthed at an honest to God dump truck full of liquid cash, that he signs pretty well anything.  Now our businessman has the rights to put the Big Corporation X name on any old piece of crap he can find, so he goes searching for the cheapest factory, using the youngest child labor.

He buys another 10,000 units for another $.50/unit, but spends an additional $.05 adding the Big Corporation X logo to it, and now sells it to the same retailer for $25.00/unit, and the retailer sees the name, and lists the item for $48.88, and both of them make a bag of money on the exact same knife/tool or whatever it was they sold last year, simply because it says NASCAR on it.

Of course with the money he's made this time, our businessman uses the logo he's purchased again and again for the period of his licensee agreement, and buys more dump trucks for more brands to exploit.

The list goes on and on and on and on, and isn't just knives and multitools, but the bottom line is, they aren't even polishing the turds:

They are just putting stickers on them.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: The Dump Truck Full Of Money Theory
Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 04:28:44 PM
One of the best/worst examples of this in the UK is RAC.  RAC are an old national breakdown recovery company.  At some point in the recentish past they decided to license their name and distinctive orange branding to just about anyone and everyone.  It wouldn't be so bad if the products were all of high quality but you guessed it  ::)   If they're not careful they're going to taint the image of the core business and lose money.
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 04:46:59 PM
One of the best/worst examples of this in the UK is RAC.  RAC are an old national breakdown recovery company.  At some point in the recentish past they decided to license their name and distinctive orange branding to just about anyone and everyone.  It wouldn't be so bad if the products were all of high quality but you guessed it  ::)   If they're not careful they're going to taint the image of the core business and lose money.

+1 Neil. I did buy one the 'RAC products' thinking it's the RAC it must be good  ::) How wrong I was  :rant:

Can't even remember what it was now  :-\

Surely somebody in Corporation X should be weighing up the advantages / disadvantages to dumptruck full of cash vs devaluing the brand  :think: :think:

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 09:55:52 PM
You would think so wouldn't you.  There was some right fun and games with RAC branded GPS units a few years ago.  No one could get updates for them, the original maker wouldn't support them as they were not their brand, RAC wouldn't help as they actually had nothing to do with RAC .. you get the idea.   More recently my mum picked up a bike light for my eldest's push bike that was RAC branded.  A bigger piece of poo I don't think I've handled.  It broke before we could even attempt to mount it on the bike!

Another abused name that I'm seeing a lot of, National Geographic.  Same deal  ::)
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 10:15:30 PM

Another abused name that I'm seeing a lot of, National Geographic.  Same deal  ::)
yeah :-[

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 12:41:55 AM
I was reminded of this just a few minutes ago and I thought it might be a good time to bump it back up for those that missed it the first time around!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%