Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Want to get a survival rifle

Santos · 17 · 4435

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Want to get a survival rifle
on: March 07, 2010, 12:14:02 PM
Well i have fallen in love with the M6 scout rifle. It appears to be a inoffensive small no-frills rifle that i can stow away on 4x4 forays so i can do my bit for pest control and even add some wild game to my diet.  :D
I see it more than a tool than a weapon

I am keeping my eye out for a .22 hornet/.410 but i thought i would start a thread as its apparent gun owners frequent this forum.

Can rifle barrels be 'bored out' and re-rifled for a different catridge? I was thinking that changing the .22 hornet to a .223 remington, giving me a bit more punch when taking on the pigs, and then use a 22LR chamber insert for small game.

I also seriously considering checking with the law in what would be required to make one. I think a compact sub-3kg 7.62mmx39 over a .410 with removal/adjustable choke, then have a 22lr insert in the 7.62 and a .223 in the .410.... when the zombies come i would be able to scrounge any ammo. A Multi-Rifle.
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Want to get a survival rifle
Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 02:39:03 PM
I'm no gunsmith, but I doubt there's enough meat on the barrel to safely contain a 223 round once you've bored it out :-\
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline django.cj

Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 02:44:12 PM
Depending on the model, you can often swap barrels to change between cartridges. I think attempting to bore one out would result in....unpleasantness.

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 08:39:11 AM
it's kind of what i suspected (admitedly all answers so far a 'gut feel')
 i have rad about barrells being reduced but not the other way round

DJango it breaks down in half
EG.

I have begun the long search for a .22 hornet/ .410 (actually i will snap up a 22lr or 22 mag if comes first to tie me over till i find a hornet) If it turns out it gets use i'll then take steps to befriend a custom gunmaker to make the barrells for a 7.62x39/.410 and a 22lr chamber insert. Then i can CNC the 'body' and front joiner/iron-sight making an interchangable barrel. If its everything i hope it to be then i can look at doing the rear stock/half of my Multi-rifle and keep the hornet as a secondary

and the youtube clip that spiked my interest in this multitool  :gimme:

“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 01:13:16 PM
The M-6 is a cool little rifle fun to shoot. Remembering rim fire to to center fire might be a tough nut to crack. I thank an easier way to go would be a inline black powder rifle the barrels come off easy and would be almost as compact as your M-6. you could load the black power barrel with shot, balls or bullets and can buy a lot of different barrels like 223, 30/6,  and a lot of others. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_55442_425005008_425000000_425005000_425-5-8

When i was a kid we used to hunt with with a old sawed off 410 we would load it with slugs, shot shells and 45 colt rounds the shotgun tube is not rifled but they were pretty effective out to 40yd.

Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 05:30:48 AM
cheers mike  :salute:

i have read here about centrefire to rimfire firing pin plug for chamber inserts, it also has info that the thomson contender/encore has dual firing pins for rim/centre Barrells. If i do scratch build the rear half then i could look into a hybrid mechanism.
- Terry Pratchett

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 02:29:34 PM
Thompson Center makes a shoulder stocked version of their Contender pistol , that takes carbine length barrels in a variety of calibers . I suspect that you would never get too much accuracy outta the M6 . TC's are reasonably accurate and will accomodate glassware . The .45 long colt barrel is quite interesting as it will handle both the .410 and .45 long colt . The Contender is pretty strong , so you could load it pretty hot . They break down easily into two pieces , and you could easily fabricate a nice case for it .

Chris

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 03:00:09 PM
I'm no gunsmith, but I doubt there's enough meat on the barrel to safely contain a 223 round once you've bored it out :-\

good lord, dun even think about it  :ahhh

headspace, chamber shape are 2 other factors to consider

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 06:53:38 AM
the contenders are pretty interesting, but i do like the 'all-on-board' aspect of the M6 (or t39).
I have bought the army technical  bulletin for the m6. It has many diagrams One shows a cut out crosssection of the extractor and two barrels. If its to scale then me making a second 'front half' with a 7.62x39 top barrel is unlikely cause the dual extractor and spring in the middle. (i have however mentally sketched out an alternative method for extraction.

Another interesting thing is the m6 scout pistol (haven't found any on whether springfield ever released the model for sale)
It was supposed to fire .45 rounds as well as the .410 shells. One forum vaguely mentioned that it had 3" rifleing. Which kind of makes sense as a shot shell would cover the first 3" so it would be like firing a .45 out of a 2.5-3" pistol.

More and more i find myself thinking... go on make your own version  :ahhh
- Terry Pratchett

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 07:50:02 AM
Keep us updated mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 12:17:53 PM
Keep us updated mate :tu:

LOL it will be a long slow project... i still haven't bought the cnc machine... but hopefully i will by the end of the year :D
- Terry Pratchett

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 02:47:11 AM
Well i have fallen in love with the M6 scout rifle.

Now so have I... thanks to you.
G

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 06:03:16 AM
Well i have fallen in love with the M6 scout rifle.

Now so have I... thanks to you.
:D

check out the carbine

Yes its ugly, i prefer the rifle stock but this one is 16" not 18.5" and its suppose to have a removable choke and 3"  rifling in the .410 for firing .45 LC  :gimme:
So if i could get the front of a carbine and stick it on the rear of a rifle i would be set :) (someone want to trade barrels so they have a folding stock 18"rifle :P )
- Terry Pratchett

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 06:22:05 PM
That looks interesting .

Chris

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 08:28:03 PM
Another interesting thing is the m6 scout pistol (haven't found any on whether springfield ever released the model for sale)
It was supposed to fire .45 rounds as well as the .410 shells. One forum vaguely mentioned that it had 3" rifleing. Which kind of makes sense as a shot shell would cover the first 3" so it would be like firing a .45 out of a 2.5-3" pistol.

.45 Colt?  Is that a single-shot pistol, or a revolver like the Taurs Judge?  I can't go to gun websites here at work, unfortunately...
- Terry

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 11:00:23 AM
the m6 is like a single shot rifle

The carbine variant is not available here in australia cause of the folding stock  :-\

But i have decided to get the M6 rifle with its 18" barrel and shorten it so i can add a removable choke  :angel: (and maybe look at rifling the first 3 inches)
- Terry Pratchett

Offline robertrogers

Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 01:44:04 AM
The Ruger 10/22's are good choices too.  There are many mods to be had too, a very tried and true rifle.
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD