Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New SOG sighting at my local Lowes!

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
New SOG sighting at my local Lowes!
on: July 13, 2007, 01:31:51 AM
About a year or so ago, my local Lowe's kind of closed out their inventory on pocket knives, etc. They have been replacing them with brands I am more interested in- Vic, LM, and now SOG! They had two knives, but the multi they were selling was the Powerlock. I don't think that I had held one in person before, and I really liked it. It was very much a tool. I don't have much else to say, really I was just excited that Lowe's keeps getting better.

A couple of side questions that I have from looking at the Powerlock in person- I often open one handle on my LM's and use to use a driver with the pliars "half open". Is that possible with SOG's? Also, sometimes if pliar get stuck or pinched, etc, you need to pull the handles open. With LMs thats kind of annoying cause they just fold. With SOG's design, would I not have that problem?

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Re: New SOG sighting at my local Lowes!
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 02:57:29 AM
You can have the SOG half open and use the inner tools like that. 

And both handles move in tandem with the SOG design, whereas on the Leatherman designs the handles can move independant of one another (hence one handle folding over while you're trying to get the plier head unstuck :angry:)

[

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 06:11:22 AM
It is possible to use the "Stretch" position with the Powerlock but it does not work well since the compound leverage dictates that the pliers and handles always rotate together. In this position the SOG is very loose and does not provide a very useable platform.

Seen below the SOG, when stretched, is not stable and folds easily. Tools that use butterfly opening are able to stretch because the handles rotate independently (ala the Surge).

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 06:15:29 AM
About a year or so ago, my local Lowe's kind of closed out their inventory on pocket knives, etc. They have been replacing them with brands I am more interested in- Vic, LM, and now SOG! They had two knives, but the multi they were selling was the Powerlock...

The Lowes here has done something similar, a big reduction in models of flashlights, knives, and multis available.

They used to have quite a variety of Gerber, Buck, Vic, Western, Case and other big brand knives.  Also lots of cheaper generic and house brand knives.

During Lowes frequent sales, I got some great deals on Gerber knives, typically at less than half their normal Lowes price.

Nowdays they have two types of SOG knives, maybe three models of Gerber knives, a Kobalt knife, and one generic brand even cheaper than Kobalt.

No Leatherman tools or knives at all.  Three types of Gerber multi.  Three types of SOG multi.  One model of Kobalt multi and one ultra-cheap generic multi.

Flashlights haven't been cut back quite as much, but they have a lot fewer flashlight models available compared to a couple of years back.

Kinda sad, because I always liked browsing through all the different knives and flashlights at Lowes and they often had great sale prices on them.

N

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 06:18:09 AM
About a year or so ago, my local Lowe's kind of closed out their inventory on pocket knives, etc. They have been replacing them with brands I am more interested in- Vic, LM, and now SOG! They had two knives, but the multi they were selling was the Powerlock...

The Lowes here has done something similar, a big reduction in models of flashlights, knives, and multis available.

I've noticed this at Home Depot also. No more big name knives, just off-brand low-end models. I think the increasing popularity of the folding utility knife has something to do with this. Home Depot has 5-6 different brands and types of folding utility knives but only 2 different type of folding knives. Pffft.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 07:36:24 AM
My local Lowes sells LM Wave, Blast and Surge. 1 Kobalt tool, SOG PowerLock and a Gerber Suspension.   Just like you guys my Lowes has really cut down on multitools. I got my SwissTool at the same Lowes a couple of years ago. AN interesting note to all you SOG fans. I stopped by there yesterday and I noticed that the PowerLock on sale had the new plier head design.
"

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 07:51:28 AM
My local Lowes sells LM Wave, Blast and Surge. 1 Kobalt tool, SOG PowerLock and a Gerber Suspension.   Just like you guys my Lowes has really cut down on multitools. I got my SwissTool at the same Lowes a couple of years ago. AN interesting note to all you SOG fans. I stopped by there yesterday and I noticed that the PowerLock on sale had the new plier head design.

Here's SOG's input on this (from BF):

Quote from: Chris@SOG;4727967
I think the reason you are seeing more of the V-Cutter than the scissors is that we have been selling more with the V-Cutter.  That would place more out in the market and therefor more for sale on the bay.  At least that is my theory. 

As for the new tool features (plier head, gear cover and piano locks).  You might find some tools out in the next month or two with the new plier head.  The gear covers and piano locks will be implemented at the same time. 

I hope that makes sense to you.

Chris

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 08:04:14 AM
Yea I stood there in the tool section drooling over the PowerLock with the new plier head. Trying to convince myself not the buy it and wait for the piano lock and gear covers. It was hard but I decided to wait. ::)
"

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 08:18:25 AM
Yea I stood there in the tool section drooling over the PowerLock with the new plier head. Trying to convince myself not the buy it and wait for the piano lock and gear covers. It was hard but I decided to wait. ::)

Resisting the urge to buy?  How dare you!  If we still had the old karma system I'd smite you for that :)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 08:56:10 AM

Resisting the urge to buy?  How dare you!  If we still had the old karma system I'd smite you for that :)

Yes I know. I have to tell you it was hard not to pick one up. The new pliers look really nice. They also look like they will function really good. The wire cutters seem to have a larger area and I like the shape of them. I also like the way  "SOG SOG SOG"  surrounds the pivot. But having two PowerLocks already I have to wait. 
"

us Offline Chris@SOG

Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 05:36:13 PM
Come on prime77, just go and buy it.  You know you want to.

Chris

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 12:34:24 AM
I'd like to just get the new plier head and install it on my existing PowerLock!  I like the exposed gears and the locking system doesn't bother me...but then again I haven't tried these new piano locks...
[

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 05:35:51 PM
Thanks guys for the responses, esp. the great pic Spoonrobot  :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%