Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Design Contest (by Leatherman!)

Offline supratentorial

Re: Leatherman Design Contest (by Leatherman!)
Reply #30 on: July 26, 2007, 06:23:45 AM
I've decided, hands down! What Leatherman needs to make, is a reproduction (modernized of course) of Tim's original tool he created. His Vicegrip type pliers that lock with the ability to use blunt or needle nose. After reading the CNN article and remembering the pics of the proto, Leatherman would make some money just for the sake of collectors, even if they did a limited run or something.

David

That would be cool.

How about submitting the Leatherman Munch? http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,800.0.html

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #31 on: July 27, 2007, 12:54:53 AM
I've been thinking about the outdoor scenerio:
"There you are, halfway in, on a 100-mile hike in the Canadian Rockies. In your path is an 8500 ft. tall ridge of mountains. You can see large black clouds rolling in from the west. You have about an hour before they hit so. You’re going to need shelter quickly, and if you’re going to get a meal tonight, get it ready before the storm hits.

To compound problems, your equipment got damaged earlier in the day, when you threw your 50-pound pack down a slope to trigger an avalanche so you could safely descend the slope. When you retrieved your pack you found your fiberglass tent poles had several breaks. Your portable stove was also damaged with two twisted legs and a small leak in the fuel hose.

What kind of tool would you create for this scenario and others you might encounter while in the great outdoors?"

If they're really looking for an idea that would fit the needs (all the needs it sounds like) of a outdoor/survival situation, what would you include? I would probably not put pliers at the top of the important list in this scenario. Heres a list of what I see as important, roughly with the most important needs first and working down to the least. It's in a very different order than I would make for an EDC scenerio, which makes me think the general tool might look very different. I would think you wouldn't want to comprimise the most important ones with the lesser ones. I ignored other basic needs like supplies (medical, rope, etc) and advanced electronics (GPS, radios, etc) in order to make this a little realistic, although in those kinds of situations you might very well need some of those things more than some of the other things I mentioned. You might also need another helping of common sense if you find yourself in that exact scenerio...  ::)

Strong Knife (Plain Edge)
Fire
Light (flashlight)
Saw
File (removable) and/or Sharpener
Can/Bottle Opener
Scissors
Tweezers
Awl
Second Knife (Serrated)
Pliers
Screwdrivers
Lanyard Ring

So what have I missed, or what changes in order would you make? I still don't have any idea what it could look like, but I'm trying to get my priorities straight, and then design from there. I'd love any feedback!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 12:58:15 AM by NeitherExtreme »

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: July 27, 2007, 01:23:34 AM
NeitherExtreme, I think the point you make about the pliers not being the most important, or not the main tool on a multitool for such a situation is a very good point ,and something we should think about.

How about some sort of butterfly opening tool which has a double sided knife as its main tool? The handles would have to open 'completely' to fit together and form the handle of the knife. It should have all opening tools so when in the main 'knife' mode, the handles are smooth and comfortable, plus you don't really want the main knife open when pulling out other tools.

The knife could be plain on one edge, maybe serrated on the other, could come in a whole variety of shapes, would be like a dagger / small sword, depending on the size of the multitool.

What does everyone think?

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #33 on: July 27, 2007, 03:45:32 AM
Hmmmmm...... A butterfly-knife-style-multi-tool. Its so crazy it just might work!  ;D I had never thought of that idea at all, but I really like it. The best I had been picturing was a Buck Xtract style, but purposely didn't mention it so that maybe a more original idea might show up, thanks Raukodur! I'm sure there's still other original ideas out there!

I wonder what laws would apply to carying it though. I don't know the rules real well, but if there was no way to "gravity" open it (ie stiff pivots, strong springs, or two-hand realease locks) maybe it could be street legal. Of course in an outdoors/survival scene street-carry laws might not apply too much...

Another thought I had: would their be a way to have one thick handle, and then two smaller opposing handles. One would unfold for a knife, the other a pliars. Kind of like a PST with the side of one handle riveted to the side of a butterfly knife.

Offline supratentorial

Reply #34 on: July 27, 2007, 07:31:09 AM
How about a butterfly opening ratcheting driver?  ...maybe a knife blade and file and storage for bits inside the handle.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #35 on: July 27, 2007, 08:45:50 AM
I was looking at the contest rules today... and you have to have a drawing of the tool, plus an explanation of how the tool work and what it would be used for in the scenario you choose. 

Just thought I'd pass that on.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #36 on: August 17, 2007, 05:23:54 PM
Anyone still working on an idea?

I have to admit I'm kinda stumped. I like the butterfly-knife concept, though I don't know how exactly it would work, or if it would cover all the stuff in the scenario...

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #37 on: September 29, 2007, 01:17:57 AM
Two more days... According to the website it ends on 9/30.

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #38 on: September 29, 2007, 02:51:57 AM
Well, I never really spent the time on it I wanted to, but I realized I was running out of time. :( I put this idea together... The drawings aren't very original as they are edited pictures of current models. :-[ The idea make sense to me though, and even though might not be ground-breaking, I just COULD NOT let this contest slip by without at least sending in some idea! :D :D ;D
I attached the two Word documents that I sent to LM.
* LCharlesOutdoorslExplaination.doc (Filesize: 21.48 KB)
* LCharlesOutdoorsPicture.doc (Filesize: 83.79 KB)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #39 on: September 29, 2007, 01:48:34 PM
Cool ideas!  I'd get those!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #40 on: September 30, 2007, 02:24:55 AM
Thanks. I should've proof-read my letter though :-[ :D

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #41 on: October 06, 2007, 01:31:28 AM
So I know they are suposed to announce the winners eventually, do you think they'll show the designs or will that be top-secret?  ::) :D

PS. I'd love to see some of the designs for the personal-care tool. ???

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: October 20, 2007, 11:59:07 PM
Just changed this thread to a non-sticky.

I hope Leatherman announces the contest winners, whether they share the design secrets or not.  :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline SoDak

Reply #43 on: October 21, 2007, 02:23:28 AM
I think the contest rules said that the winner would be announced November 1st.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: October 21, 2007, 10:51:32 PM
I think the contest rules said that the winner would be announced November 1st.

:oops:  Oops, sorry about the premature de-stickifying. :(

We're sticky again until early November.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Mutt

Reply #45 on: October 23, 2007, 07:22:32 AM
I just went to the site and it didn't come up for me.  The contest may be over.

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #46 on: October 23, 2007, 08:40:17 PM
Yeah, it ended a bit ago. Don't know if they'll do it again or not ???
Do you all expect to see some actual production models come from this contest or no?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #47 on: October 25, 2007, 04:04:22 AM
Guess that depends on whether they feel any of the entries are marketable. I'm just hoping they reveal some of the details of the winning entry. (I suspect they will not)

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #48 on: October 25, 2007, 04:06:11 AM
Guess that depends on whether they feel any of the entries are marketable. I'm just hoping they reveal some of the details of the winning entry. (I suspect they will not)
I'm figuring the same thing. Sure would be fun to see all the designs though :(

Offline SoDak

Reply #49 on: November 11, 2007, 03:10:53 AM
Has anyone heard anything more about the contest. I could have swore they were going to announce the winner on November 1st. Maybe I was wrong. ???

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #50 on: November 11, 2007, 08:12:05 PM
I've been wondering the same thing... I haven't seen anything since the contest ended. ???

Offline SoDak

Reply #51 on: November 28, 2007, 04:02:40 AM
Hey Def, have you heard anything form your contact at leatherman on this?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #52 on: November 28, 2007, 04:39:05 AM
Not lately, but I'll ask.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #53 on: December 28, 2007, 04:48:04 AM

Another month, and still no word  :-\

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: December 28, 2007, 04:50:04 AM
I am excited to hear some updates of that LM design contest. Any update Def?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #55 on: December 28, 2007, 08:26:41 AM
Not yet...

Def

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #56 on: January 04, 2008, 05:40:49 PM
I wish I had saw this.I would have come up with a few neat ideas.

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #57 on: March 24, 2008, 05:17:25 AM
Just sent off another inquiry to Leatherman about this. It really would be nice to hear something. :-\

We'll give 'em a few more days to respond, then de-stickify this thread and cast it adrift.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #58 on: March 25, 2008, 12:47:12 AM
YAY! Got some news about the contest today! :)

The Design Contest was a fun and interesting event to host for Leatherman.  Due to the high number of entries, it took a little longer than expected for the review panel (APD team) to review all of the entries, which was a terrific problem to have.  It was obvious from the contest that we have some very loyal users who are very bright and knowledgeable in multifunction tools.  The segment winners are

1. Fishing: Dave Dillard from Colorado
2. Personal Care: Mike Burkart from Oregon
3. Hunting: Jonathan Schwartz from California
4. Outdoor/Overall: Jordan Levie from New York

Originally the Design Contest was initiated as a way to give our friends a chance to dabble in the fun that our design team gets to enjoy on a daily basis, and was not intended as a means to mine the minds of our valued customers.  However, some of the features and tools suggested and incorporated into the submitted designs have given us serious reason to pause.  And, although we don’t have any plans to manufacture any of the whole tools as-submitted in the contest, the design team is now reviewing some of the interesting concepts presented for potential incorporation into future tools.  The concepts are being reviewed for both for functionality and for manufacturability, as we want to ensure that each will encompass all the safety, quality, and durability requirements we have, while still being able to provide it to our customers at an affordable price.

My thanks to all who participated, and I hope it brought you as much fun in designing the tools as it did for the design team and I to review them!

D.A. at Leatherman

« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 12:48:55 AM by J-sews »

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: March 25, 2008, 12:53:34 AM
Ah, we are wiser that they thought...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95
PayPal Fees: $4.26
Net Balance: $77.69
Below Goal: $222.31