Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

You want reasons..I got reasons

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
You want reasons..I got reasons
on: July 13, 2007, 05:43:06 AM
 Today, I stopped by my local bike shop to pick up 3 bikes I had in for some work;2 were for the free tune-up offered as a freebie for buying from the dealer,the third was for some work that required tools I don't have at home.
 Well..I find out the shop owner was busted the night before for trafficking marijuana,as well as possession of pot and cocaine,and now sitting in the county jail awaiting his first court appearance. I'm not even sure of the status of the shop,or of the bikes..mine and other peoples.So here I sit tapping out my tale of woe,wondering and worrying about if and how MY bikes will ever get back to me,and if I'm out approx $1200 worth of bikes.
 The big lesson driven home to me...is that I absolutely,positively need to invest in the speSmurfpillst tools required to do proper work..and a few more bike multis too.
 So if you ever need an argument to persaude yourself..or others you really need a bike multi..or speSmurfpillst tool..take my experience to heart,and bolster your argument.
 I hope I hear something positive tomorrow.
I

Offline AJ

Re: You want reasons..I got reasons
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 06:00:29 AM
That sucks!
Sorry to hear about all the trouble.
Sure hope you get your bikes back soon...
[

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 06:07:50 AM
 Thanks...I normally try to see the lighter side of things,but this one is really around the bend for me.
I

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 06:21:18 AM
I have one of these if you want it. I don't really ride much anymore but when I do I go with repair kit in my messenger bag so I have little use for a bike-multi.

That really sucks about you bikes, have you contacted the police about you situation?

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 06:23:38 AM
work that required tools I don't have at home.

Blasphemy!!!!!
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 11:12:12 AM
That is bad luck mate and i hope it sorts itself out soon.

you might want to find the reciepts or paper work for your bikes as the police may require proof there your,s before releasing them.

good luck, and let us know how it goes .
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 11:45:49 AM
Much of it depends on where the guy was dealing from.  If it turns out he was selling from home then the shop will probably be open for business when he makes bail or finds someone to maintain it for him.  At that point, it'll be business as usual.

If he was dealing from the store, had stashes or part of a grow op in the store, or if there is evidence of any kind in the store that is not transferable, then yeah, you probably won't get your bikes back any time soon.

Most likely the shop will be back open soon enough.  Selling pot is not considered a huge crime these days unless the guy is growing or stockpiling significant amounts, and that probably wouldn't be done from a shop where folks walk in and out all the time- it would be far too obvious.

I'd keep checking back at the shop, and try calling it as well to see if an answering machine has been set up with any new or temporary contact information.  Usually a family member, friend or legal council will get something like that set up if they can't re-open the store.  After all, the guy needs his income more than ever now!

Either way, best of luck to you.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 06:56:26 PM
 An update of sorts,,after several attempts trying to get through,I finally contacted someone at the shop,and I'm out the door now to see what's going on. I spent most of the morning digging up my receipts,so I'm going armed.
    According to the statement issued by Kentucky State Police,the guy was cultivating several plants in his house,and had a large amount already processed for sale.
   When I know more,I'll post here...and blasphemer that I am..errr was..I'm taking my lesson to heart and laying in as many tools as I can so I can do all my work myself. Spoon..thanks for the offer..I may just take you up on it..I admit I've hankered after a Crank Bros tool..when I get this mess sorted out,I'll shoot you a PM and see about a swap of some kind.
Live and learn they say..but what a way to learn.
I

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 07:59:43 PM
Good luck!  I hope everything works out and you get your stuff back!
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 08:08:43 PM
Yeah, definitely keep us informed, and best of luck to you!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 10:45:13 PM
An update to the update...after being assured that somebody would be in...nobody there >:( One good sign is that the KSP hasn't sealed the premises.Phone calls right now are pointless,as the voicemail box is full.I'll keep on and stay after this until I get this resolved to my satisfaction.One small ace up my sleeve,is one of my friends is a reporter for the local paper.and we all know they know who to call.
I

Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 10:52:40 PM
i think patience and perseverence are all you depend on in time,s like this, in the meantime maybe there are other bike stores to check out, as this guy,s clearly betrayed the trust of all his customers :angry:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 10:53:34 PM
Good thing you aren't screwed yet.  I hope you still have another bike to ride in the meantime?

Def

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 04:49:12 AM
One thing is sure once I get my bikes back..if I need work that I can't do myself there's a shop about 20 miles from me..and he'll be getting my business;in fact I'm heading there tomorrow to check over his stock...it's high time I began investing in tools for major work.
 You betcha I feel betrayed,and I'm certain other customers feel the same way.If for some reason he's ever back in business,I'll cheerfully wave at him on my way on down the road to the other guy.

Thankfully..I didn't have my entire battery of bikes in..I still have a Raleigh,and a Giant that's going to be seeing lots of road time.
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: July 14, 2007, 03:24:53 PM
Do you wear the tutu when riding too, or does that cause too much drag? :P

Def

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 14, 2007, 05:01:13 PM
Ohhhh the tutu is a must have...I believe in being high-viz when I ride.Any wind resistance is offset by the lycra cycling shorts :ahhh
  Now that I've planted THAT image in people's minds...off for a ride..tutu,lycra and all.
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: July 14, 2007, 05:31:19 PM
On a related note, what tool will everyone be using to gouge their eyes out? :P

Def

Reply #17 on: July 14, 2007, 07:07:23 PM
Do you wear the tutu when riding too, or does that cause too much drag? :P

Def
the wind resistance is a killer ;D

but maybe if they did the tutu in le tour yellow it,d be ok ;D

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 15, 2007, 04:46:41 AM
 And what I hope is a coda to the whole mess; the shop owner was released on bail,contacted me,and I've made arrangements to get all bikes delivered to me.

There's a lesson here,and that survivalism is much more than being able to take to the hills and live when the balloon goes up.It's also about self-sufficiency in your everyday life,even down to your hobbies and recreational pursuits.
 Thanks to everybody who gave me moral support,written and/or unwritten..I hope all of you take my lesson to heart.
I

Reply #19 on: July 15, 2007, 11:34:57 AM
And what I hope is a coda to the whole mess; the shop owner was released on bail,contacted me,and I've made arrangements to get all bikes delivered to me.

There's a lesson here,and that survivalism is much more than being able to take to the hills and live when the balloon goes up.It's also about self-sufficiency in your everyday life,even down to your hobbies and recreational pursuits.
 Thanks to everybody who gave me moral support,written and/or unwritten..I hope all of you take my lesson to heart.
i,m glad theres a happy ending of sorts for you :)

and your right it doesnt pay to relie on anyone to much these days :(

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #20 on: July 15, 2007, 10:16:53 PM

I'm glad it all worked out for you.

And with lots of my stuff, I feel if I can't take it apart clean it/repair it/mod it and put it back together, I can't completely trust it :grin: 
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: July 15, 2007, 10:22:39 PM
Good points.  There are always things that you can't do for yourself though, and it's usually worth the effort to hunt down folks you can trust to cover those things for you.

I used to go to a certain mechanic's shop but eventually it was sold to new owners, and every time I went in there it cost me $1500.  Pretty expensive for an oil change.  The guy I have found since then is solid as the Rock of Gibraltar, and charges a reasonable amount for everything.

Finding good people may be getting harder and harder to do, but it's worth it in the end!

Def

Reply #22 on: October 21, 2007, 08:39:34 AM
Your post in the roman tool thread reminded me of this thread ::), I take it you got all your bikes back safe and sound in the end ???

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: October 21, 2007, 04:58:22 PM
Your post in the roman tool thread reminded me of this thread ::), I take it you got all your bikes back safe and sound in the end ???
                    They're all back safe and sound,and on a happy note I found a shop about 20 miles from me that is really good.The owner is a bit of a cold fish as far as people skills go,but he doesn't piddle around and does take care of business.
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: October 21, 2007, 05:00:57 PM
Well that's good.  As long as he knows his stuff, that's what's important.  People skills are nice, but a bike that won't disintegrate on a rogh patch is much nicer!

:D

Def

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: October 21, 2007, 05:04:53 PM
 Rough patches around here go for miles and miles...I think if I could ride on good smooth surface,I could be good for at least Mach .85 :D
I

Reply #26 on: October 21, 2007, 05:24:07 PM
Rough patches around here go for miles and miles...I think if I could ride on good smooth surface,I could be good for at least Mach .85 :D
with, or without the tutu ??? ;) :D :D

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: October 21, 2007, 05:32:28 PM
            With----Mach .85
            Without---- Mach .95
        All this presuming a good strong tail wind of course :D
I

Reply #28 on: October 22, 2007, 09:21:15 AM
            With----Mach .85
            Without---- Mach .95
        All this presuming a good strong tail wind of course :D
Maybe you should get a job at Edwards AFB :o :D :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31