Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Camillus "Demo" Knife

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Camillus "Demo" Knife
on: July 13, 2007, 04:43:52 PM
I've heard this knife called many things, either "demo " knife of just "U.S. Army Knife" (even though they also make them for the marines, with U.S. Marines stamped on them) They're all stainless in construction and are simiar in set-up to a Vic Soldier or Wenger SI. The question I'm asking, is does anybody know if these are still in production since camillus went belly-up earlier this year? I've got one from 1971 that I picked up for 5 bones at a surplus store a few years ago, It's a really solid tool and i think I've seen them brand new on some sites for around 20 bucks. the reason I'm asking about if they're still in production is that will they become collector's items or will the price start to go up because they're not readily available anymore? They make a good low-profile EDC and are tough as nails.

* P7160001.jpg (Filesize: 25.78 KB)
"

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Camillus "Demo" Knife
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 04:46:45 PM
I think they were out of production before Camillus closed it's doors.  I don't think they've been produced for years.

I doubt they would go up in price significantly- probably a few dollars since the company is no longer around, but since they haven't been in production for so long, I doubt it would affect them much.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 05:12:03 PM
Cool....I wasn't really concerned about the "collector value"...But as I said, they are/were good knives that take a lot of punishment for low $$$. Thanks for the info. I guess that since most soldiers/marines carry multis now, they get more bang for the buck in the same amount of space as the camillus. So there's no demand for it.

But the can opener on that thing is fierce!  >:D

Here's a cool article I found with some info about the "demo" knife:
http://www.donrearic.com/demoknife1.htm
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 08:00:55 PM
We've discussed this knife at great length in SOSAK and the general consensus is that the Victorinox Soldier knife, at the same price, is far superior.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 10:54:51 PM
Either as a user or drawer queen..it's worth having as a memento of a grand old name that's no longer with us.
Camillus..gone but not forgotten.
I

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 12:42:24 PM
Either as a user or drawer queen..it's worth having as a memento of a grand old name that's no longer with us.
Camillus..gone but not forgotten.

I keep mine in the toolbox, comes in handy to do dirty work where I don't want to gunk up my Wenger Standard Issue. I picked mine up cheap used..so that's where the inexpensive part comes in, plus, I've got a soft spot for surplus. :D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 12:44:00 PM by Sparkey »
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 03:22:37 PM
I'm just glad that the name Camillus wasn't well enough known that the rights to it were purchased and sent overseas like Schrade.

Def

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 04:52:09 PM
I happen to have a "demo" knife.  I also happen to have read an article about them in the last issue of "The Backwoodsman" magazine.  Apparently, the reason they were issued to troops was the fact that they are nearly indestructable and many of the the American troops of WWII era were familliar with the design as it is similar to the "Scout Knife" that is the standard tool of the Boy Scouts of America.  The demo knife at one time was produced by three companies with cammilus being the primary producer.  One of the other manufactures actually added a stud to the bottle opener to help with opening that tool.  Say what you want about it and its unrefined finish but it is a tough tool that is not prone to breakage.  I carry mine quite regularly.  The knife cost me $15 I think but it has served me well.  From what I can gather it is still standard issue in any demolition toolbox for the US military.         

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%