Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger Alinghi 176.

Chako · 34 · 6229

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Wenger Alinghi 176.
on: March 12, 2010, 07:37:51 PM
Got this in today.  :D

A very nice knife. I love the fold in pliers. The handles feel very comfortable in the hand. Yay, I finally got one!
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Wenger Alinghi 176.
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 07:47:27 PM
glad you got one mate, that blade looks sweet ,  :tu:

paul

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 11:22:38 PM
Nice! :tu: I finally got one a short time ago. Pricey buggers aren't they? I doubt the marlin spike will ever get used for its intended purpose, but I do like the pliers and the one hand knife blade :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 12:14:49 AM
Same here.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 12:34:33 AM
I keep thinking about getting one .I'd find it very usefull .I use the marlinspike/shackle opener alot on my Vic Helmsman but the oho on the Wenger would make a very sweet package for me .Its just the price  :-\

Dunc

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 05:02:35 AM
Got one of them too! :tu:  One thing is for sure.  Whoever designed it, put alot of love into it!!
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 03:19:50 PM
The new one has gray EvoGrip scales and a hex driver, but I like the look of the all-black handles better. :)

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 03:43:11 PM
Are the black lines on the main blade meant to be decorative or something else  :think: :think:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 03:49:48 PM
Are the black lines on the main blade meant to be decorative or something else  :think: :think:

Its meant to look like the sail markings on the Swiss Alinghi cup racer: :)

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 03:57:09 PM
Thanks Bob I have wondered for quite awhile what was going on with those markings  :cheers: :cheers:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 04:37:24 PM
I like this model as well, but since I have the Mike Horn New Ranger, I've been waiting for a deal.  I like the updated SUI1 version (183 I think) for the bit driver, but hate the Wenger can opener so I like the screwdriver on the 176.  So I'm waiting for a better price or for Wenger to make a redundant tool version that has the inline screwdriver and the bit-driver (which I'm guessing they will never do).   So if I see a 176 at a great price I'll buy it, and maybe the same for the SUI1 which I've almost bought a couple of times.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 04:45:35 PM
I like this model as well, but since I have the Mike Horn New Ranger, I've been waiting for a deal.  I like the updated SUI1 version (183 I think) for the bit driver, but hate the Wenger can opener so I like the screwdriver on the 176.  So I'm waiting for a better price or for Wenger to make a redundant tool version that has the inline screwdriver and the bit-driver (which I'm guessing they will never do).   So if I see a 176 at a great price I'll buy it, and maybe the same for the SUI1 which I've almost bought a couple of times.

What would you consider to be a great price if I may ask?

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 05:29:29 PM

Well $65 or so would have been great.... but it matters little now;  this thread made me pull the trigger on one for $87, which is very good... but maybe not great.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 05:30:25 PM

Well $65 or so would have been great.... but it matters little now;  this thread made me pull the trigger on one for $87, which is very good... but maybe not great.

I saw that one yesterday and was planning to tell you about it :D

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 06:55:19 PM

I'm going to have to go back to bargain hunting.  At least now I think I'll stop looking at the SUI1 and I think I'm donr with New Rangers for a while.... there is a Yellow one or two though....   No... I think between this and my other recent "Best Wenger" (to be pictured soon) I think I'm done with Wenger for a while. 

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 10:04:11 PM

I'm going to have to go back to bargain hunting.  At least now I think I'll stop looking at the SUI1 and I think I'm donr with New Rangers for a while.... there is a Yellow one or two though....   No... I think between this and my other recent "Best Wenger" (to be pictured soon) I think I'm done with Wenger for a while. 

Best Wenger?! ???

Well..... :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok:

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 05:21:13 AM
I received the Alinghi 176 a few days ago.  Not much time to play with it, but I was a little surprised because for some reason in my brain I had thought that it would be slimmer than the Mike Horn, but really it's not.  ... and of course when you look at the layers and tools there is no reason it should be.   So bigger than I thought, but otherwise no surprises.  The case it came with has that extra eyelet for an extra tie-down I'm guessing, this makes the sheath look bigger than it is, and not as steath as expected for a black one.  The small fine screwdriver has a much higher polished finish than I expected or that is dictated for a good working screwdriver. The scales on the shackle opener are great.

Very nice tool... but maybe the 172 is still my favorite New Ranger, and I'm pretty sure I'd take the Mike Horn over the 176... but I still REALLY want the fine screwdriver from the 176 on the Mike Horn... that would be a perfect New Ranger.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 05:31:26 AM by ICanFixThat »

us Offline django.cj

Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 01:40:11 PM
I'd like one of these... But without the marlin spike. I just can't see a use for that. Any unneccessary width aggravates me.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 05:58:35 PM
I'd like one of these... But without the marlin spike. I just can't see a use for that. Any unneccessary width aggravates me.
I'm pretty sure I'd buy that; it would slim it down to the width of the 172 which I find is the maximum width I really find comfortable with the Wenger scales. 

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: March 27, 2010, 07:13:09 PM

I agree with both statements there django :salute:

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: March 27, 2010, 08:18:38 PM
I received the Alinghi 176 a few days ago.  Not much time to play with it, but I was a little surprised because for some reason in my brain I had thought that it would be slimmer than the Mike Horn, but really it's not.  ... and of course when you look at the layers and tools there is no reason it should be.   So bigger than I thought, but otherwise no surprises.  The case it came with has that extra eyelet for an extra tie-down I'm guessing, this makes the sheath look bigger than it is, and not as steath as expected for a black one.  The small fine screwdriver has a much higher polished finish than I expected or that is dictated for a good working screwdriver. The scales on the shackle opener are great.

Very nice tool... but maybe the 172 is still my favorite New Ranger, and I'm pretty sure I'd take the Mike Horn over the 176... but I still REALLY want the fine screwdriver from the 176 on the Mike Horn... that would be a perfect New Ranger.

If Mike Horn  green lights a MK2 model of his knife, I hope he replaces the metal saw and pliers with a wood saw and scissors. :think:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 10:35:44 PM by BIG-TARGET »
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 27, 2010, 10:08:02 PM
Am'I mad? but I quite like the spiky thingy  >:D

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: March 27, 2010, 10:31:53 PM
Am'I mad? but I quite like the spiky thingy  >:D
You're not mad.  The marlin spike is a tool a SERIOUS rope splicer and/or sailor would appreciate :think:  Most of us wouldn't have a need/appreciation for such a tool.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 10:33:51 PM by BIG-TARGET »

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #23 on: March 27, 2010, 11:45:46 PM
soo what is this?? a new alinghi maybe??

custom swiss army knives

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: March 28, 2010, 12:23:00 AM
soo what is this?? a new alinghi maybe??

That's the original. 8) The knives are named after the boat. :)

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #25 on: March 28, 2010, 12:35:32 AM
i have never seen such a tool on the alinghi... the rescue-hook-like-thing in a ranger grip.. (at second 20 on the video) no idea of the model???  :pok: :D
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 01:00:38 AM by Sidhartha »
custom swiss army knives

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: March 28, 2010, 12:42:14 AM
ACK!! :o You're right, I missed it the first time! :ahhh

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #27 on: March 28, 2010, 01:03:26 AM
thanks for the screenshot mate  :D a realy interesting alinghi isnt it? could be a new model or just an illusion  lol  ???
custom swiss army knives

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: March 28, 2010, 01:46:40 AM
ACK!! :o You're right, I missed it the first time! :ahhh

(Image removed from quote.)

Maybe it is a prototype model? :think:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: March 30, 2010, 05:06:33 AM
It does look pretty cool. :tu: I wonder if it retracts? :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%