Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Shipping Switcheroo, My Pet Peeve

00 Offline 1jump2many

Shipping Switcheroo, My Pet Peeve
on: March 12, 2010, 10:00:18 PM
Like most of us, here on MTO, I purchase a lot of items on the Internet.  Whether because I can get the item cheaper or because availability.  One of my pet peeves, especially lately, is when you buy something from an online store and pay for a particular shipping method and they send it a cheaper/slower way. 

For instance, you pay for UPS Ground and they ship it USPS First Class Mail.   It has happened to me several times over the years but recently twice in the last 10 days.  One was an eBay store with thousands of ratings and the other was a "reputable" Mom and Pop web store.  I understand if the store charges a flat fee and doesn't mention which shipping method they use.  Then I'm leaving the method in their hands.  But I feel they are being dishonest when they charge you for a more expensive shipping method and then send it a slower/cheaper shipping method. 

The amount of money they make off this little scam isn't a lot, usually anywhere from $5 to $8, but if they do it to everyone it can add up.  After it happens to me once I won't buy from them again but I wonder how many actually pay attention that this is happening to them?  I support small businesses and realize they all don't play this little game.  I was curious what others felt about this practice and how often it happens to them? 
[

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Shipping Switcheroo, My Pet Peeve
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 10:11:00 PM
I'd ask for a refund on shipping.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 10:18:23 PM
I'd ask for a refund on shipping.

That's what I do.  Admittedly its only happened twice.  Both times the cost difference was returned.

It can happen by accident.  Both on ebay and elsewhere I've always charged at cost shipping and given people the option of how they want it sent.  Most people choose the cheapest method but not always and I was once caught out and accidentally sent an item via normal mail instead of the recorded delivery that had been paid for.  I of course refunded the difference :)
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 12:35:19 AM
I have in the past and also did these last two times.  The eBay store completely ignored my messages.  The Mom & Pop web store tried saying that their policy stated that they had the option to ship either USPS or UPS.  I brought it to their attention that the order confirmation even had listed next to "Shipping Method" as UPS Ground.  They haven't responded back and I doubt they will.

It's just a scam for them to make money on shipping.  Like I mentioned before, if they don't give a specific shipping method and say shipping is X amount of dollars and I buy then I don't have a problem with the method.  But when the specifically tell me it's going to ship UPS and then ship it USPS they are ripping me off IMO.  It's a very, very small percentage of sellers but they are out there. 
[

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 12:54:47 AM
I'm sure they aren't going to bother with refund since they already have your money, but your CC company probably would if you file one.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 12:57:18 AM
I'd still probably report them to the Better Business Buearu if they didn't refund you or something. :think:

I know I'd hate it if they did it to me. Shipping prices are horrible already.
Got those frog legs.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 03:55:48 AM
Postal pirates  :ahhh
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 05:27:51 AM
If it is done knowingly it is just plain dishonest  >:( >:( >:(. You could easily report the ebay seller via paypal & get a refund mate. I would especially if they are not answering your messages. I think it is common to pay more for postage than the sticker price , but sellers can argue there is fees for processing ie time , fuel , packing material etc. It is completely different to pay for a service & not get it though , that is a crock of poo mate. 

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44