Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Grappler.

Chako · 19 · 16143

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Gerber Grappler.
on: March 15, 2010, 11:33:20 PM
Gerber Grappler.

I just got the Grappler in today. I must say, whatever Bob wrote is about right on the money. I was prepared to like tool a lot. I am a big fan of Vice like pliers. However, this one sort of left me cold.

I like the outward deployed tools. They are all of a nice length. I won’t go into it because Bob has pretty much said it all.

I am however majorly disappointed in the jaw opening on the Grappler.  That and where they decided to place the screw. Sigh…

In an effort to add a bit more to what was already said here:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,18075.0.html

I am going to compare it a bit more with some other models.

The Grappler has a nice weight and feel to it. The sheath is rather nice although I wished they had reinforced the belt strap a little more. The Grappler is no light weight.

Here you can see the Grapplers distinctive offset pliers.

The Grappler only comes with 4 long tools. A knife blade, an interesting pry bar/ruler, a combo Phillips driver/cap opener/wire stripper, and a file.  All are nice and long.

The Grappler has a sliding plier head much like the models I like the most, the MP400 and 600. However, the Grappler is an odd duck in that there is only one sliding rail, and only one button to press.

Because of this, some compromises had to be made. Unfortunately, these are huge compromises for this type of tool. Here, you see one of the more user unfriendly  jaw adjustment systems ever devised for this type of tool. Traditionally, these are located at one end of the handle…for good reason. My large fingers have a hard time turning this small screw. There isn’t much adjustment to begin with, but what little you have, the tool makes you work for it.

Now onto the second large compromise dictated by the sliding plier head…just how far do the jaws open.? As Bob noted, not very far. I will second that.  Let us compare how weak the Grappler is to the other locking plier models out there.

All stored up, you can see that both the Grappler and Crunch are the smaller package to carry. The Leatherman by a large bit. The Gerber doesn’t do that bad of a job for such a larger tool.

From left to right: Gerber Grappler, Schrade ST6HP, Sheffield locking plier, Kershaw 100, and Leatherman Crunch.

Showing full length when pliers are deployed.

So just how does the Grappler compare to other locking plier models out there for jaw with opening?

Gerber versus Kershaw.

Kershaw wins.

Gerber versus Sheffield.

Sheffield wins.

Gerber versus Schrade.

Schrade winds.

Gerber versus Leatherman.

Leatherman wins.

The Grappler sort of stinks for what it is designed for. I can appreciated the engineering that went into this tool, and I can definitely appreciate Gerber’s penchant for taking risk in producing some bizarre MTs. The Grappler definitely fits into that category. I was prepared to like it a a lot. In the end, I am left a bit cold over it as it fails in the two things I expect a locking plier to do. Ease of use, and jaw opening capabilities.  As it is, the Grappler is a big tool meant for small jobs. It will make the perfect collector shelf queen. It wouldn’t be a tool I would want to carry though.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Gerber Grappler.
Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 11:40:13 PM
Fine comparison mate :)

Look's like it's not going to be a real success story does it :-\
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 11:52:20 PM
Who knows? I wanted one as soon as Gerber mentioned it. Bit of a letdown though.

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 12:45:06 AM
seems like ill stick to my trusty crunch till i found a cheap grappler to try :think:

BTW how much did you paid for yours?
A

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 01:32:50 AM
Great comparison pictures Chako. :salute: I like how you included all the locking plier multis in one photo spread. :)

Of the five, I must agree that the Grappler has the least capable locking pliers. :-\ How about the bladed tools though? Where do you rank the Grappler compared to the others?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 01:41:23 AM
It is very capable in that regard. I really like the mini pry bar. Not sure how durable it is knowing full well the pivot is the weak spot. Still a neat idea.

I paid 58 dollars for it cliosguy.

us Offline turbov21

Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 05:22:59 AM
Hey, it's a Sheffield Crocodile!

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 12:49:26 PM
Nice pics & mini review mate  :tu: :tu:.

I have a few Vise grip MT's & I have a thing for them. I would like to ,sometime in the near future grab a Grappler.
When it comes to jaw opening distance I have often wondered with Vise gripe MT's, especially with the Crunch "is the tool able to be used as a proper vise grip tool at its maximum jaw opening" :think: :think:. I think some times these tools jaw opening exceeds the tools capabilities , that is such a compact tool like a Crunch has such short handles , which is a massive bonus in making it such a compact easy to carry MT, BUT it means you are somewhat limited in the amount of leverage you can impart onto what you have the MT clamped on  :think: :think:. This may well be intentional as I bought a 2nd hand Crunch & it has been abused ; broken screw driver , badly notched wire cutters & the pliers are distorted & no longer line up I would hate to see what it looked like if the previous owner had been able too really swing of it with a set of long handles  :ahhh :ahhh :D :D

If you compare the pliers on the Crunch , Kershaw A100 & the Sheffield copy, too a conventional Vise Grip there is significant differences in structural strength.Conventional Vise grips have so much more metal in them.
My Schrade 6LC is my favorite MT I use it around home a lot , but I never carry it out of home because it is just too big & awkward

Here it is next to a LM Core , compact it aint  :D :D . There be the problem a MT needs to be able to be carried easily so being compact is a big part of that. A Vise Grip needs to be STRONG to be clamped onto things & then cranked. The Schrade Vise Grip MT's are just Irwin Vise Grips that have been modified to be multitools. Like Def says a MT is always a compromise tool , never truer in the case of the ViseGrip MT  :D :D.

BTW I agree with you Chako the Grappler looks more like a locking plier than a ViseGrip MT given the small bite it takes  :D :D     

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 01:10:56 PM
It all depends on what you are planning to use it for. If you use it for round objects such as pipes, then the rounded part of the jaw is important. A wider width will allow you to use it on bigger pipes/round object so to speak. The Grappler, due to its shape, can only clamp on a very small round object, and it has to be smaller then the width of the rounded part, as it has to negotiate past the flat areas first. If you plan on clamping sheet steel together for welding, then the Grappler should do the trick.

Locking pliers and vice grips are synonymous. Vice grips are a name brand. there are some people who even call this style of tool Mole Grips. Regardless, they are all the same tool. Like anything, each tool is dedicated in its task based upon the plier head shape (needle nose, blunt, etc...). I agree that a locking plier based MT is always a compromise. They are all geared towards small jobs due to their size limitations, and as you pointed out, lack of meat.  However, it is rather surprising at just how much force these little tools can exert on an object when used properly.

The Grappler is just designed for smaller task then all the others due to its jaw opening limitations.  :salute:

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 01:19:17 PM
Chako if only Gerber had been able too incorporate their Recoil system into the Grappler , would of helped distract us from its somewhat inadequate cleavage  :P :D.

"but look it springs out , see it springs out ................  see it pops out , bang its out ............."  :D :D   

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 01:23:06 PM
Oh my...don't remind me when I first got one and decided to front pocket carry it to my garage one day. That was a painful lesson in physics I tell you.

<---still winces in memory.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 01:26:20 PM
Gerber Recoil the pocket landmine  :pok: :D :D :D :D

Wincing whilst smiling  ;) :D :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 01:30:29 PM
Come to think of it, the Grappler is built very much like the Recoil, with it’s outside the handles tool storage.  :think:

They probably could have done it by maybe making it a little longer to house the springs. Ha, that would scare all smaller jobs into submission! :D 

They could have named it the Attacking Grappler. :rofl:

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 01:38:29 PM
What about the 'Grappling Grappler' as endorsed by Haulk Hogan  :D :D.

Both 'The Real Deal'  :P :D :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 02:14:49 PM
 :D

gb Offline Screwtape

• I am the Toast King!!
Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 07:39:05 PM
I'm thinking that a recoil could be used as the main part of a better mouse trap some how :think:

Nice side by side comparison chako, I was rather interesed till i saw this, looks like I'll have a look at a crunch instead
"Hello! I am the Toast King and I rule over the Moon!"

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 07:39:37 PM
well this has gotten rid of my gas for one

thankyou :)
I

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 03:55:56 AM
It gets points for narly appearance , but leaves me pretty cold .

Chris

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 12:57:04 PM
The Grappler has its charms. It isn't all bad. Maybe I painted it with a bad brush too much. It has long drivers! That is a pet peeve of mine with Gerber for quite some time. The jaws, although not big openers, do clamp on smaller things with authority. I just don't like where they had to place the adjustment screw. Once you get one in your hands, you will quickly realize that it is the only place they could place it. You will also know why it is so small (has to fit inside the handles). From a purely engineering point of view, it does show Gerber's penchant for doing things interesting. I like the odd and wacky tool. The Grappler fits into that category nicely.

Buy one if you can and make your own opinions on it. Just know what you’re buying in case you decide to go down that path.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44