Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

2xAA Novatacs .

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
2xAA Novatacs .
on: March 16, 2010, 09:54:34 PM
I spotted these on lighthounds site , outputs are 100/30.3 Lumens . Anyone seen /used one ? Would be nice to have a AA lite in reserve , these sound like a stepup from LED Maglites .

Chris

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: 2xAA Novatacs .
Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 09:56:21 PM
Pretty sure they are all the same head, just different body and programming. Maybe you can even reprogram it with the 250 click hack.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 10:01:43 PM
OOPS
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 10:04:53 PM by Styerman »

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 10:03:59 PM
They sound pretty cool , Novatacs are very nice , think I might vive one a try.

Chris

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 01:16:43 AM
I spotted these on lighthounds site , outputs are 100/30.3 Lumens . Anyone seen /used one ? Would be nice to have a AA lite in reserve , these sound like a stepup from LED Maglites .

Chris

Be careful.  Some of the newer Novatacs are assembled in PRC.
- Terry

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 01:49:55 AM
Ouch ! I still cant seem to find much if any feedback on them . I would happily grab one of the Surefire E2LAA's if the ever make their debut .

Chris

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 01:56:03 AM
Yeah for some reason Novatac used to be THE light a few years back, but now nobody talks about it anymore.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 02:05:53 AM
I got one off GG , didn't know what to expect . I thought it was just a rehashed HDS , which was a repro of an early ARC . Bottom line I enjoy it . It is a very fine backup . I would gladly recomend one to anybody . Mine has not exhibited any vices such as thread wear and flickering .

Chris

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 02:08:52 AM
Yeah for some reason Novatac used to be THE light a few years back, but now nobody talks about it anymore.

...mostly likely because Henry has moved on to something that he has more control over.  And that is a good thing.

I love my early Novatac, but after what I've seen of the build quality since, I wouldn't buy a current model.  If I were to buy another light with the perfect beam and perfect UI, as I believe the Novatac has,  I would move on and get the same thing in a Ra.

I do like that I can power my Novatac with a 17670, but I wouldn't feel that I need that with a Ra due to the much improved efficiency.  I do wish an AA body was an affordable option for the Novatac.  It's a shame they don't sell the bodies separately (with the original HAIII finish).

...just my $.0002 opinion.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 02:29:05 AM by NutSAK »
- Terry

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 03:27:23 AM
I was checking out their website , they have some new stuff , not radical departures , but nice options . They are still claiming to be US made . They now have a 2 CR123 model and obviously some lower pricepoint stuff in type II Ano. They have a model called the Wasmurfa , that is alledegedly skewed to the Skilled trades , that has a flat switch , previously only found on the P model . P models appear to have been dropped .

I hear you on the 2xAA barrel as a seperate entity , I would be all over that ! It would come in handy if I ever went to a third world country like the UK .

Chris

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 03:34:35 PM
I hear you on the 2xAA barrel as a seperate entity , I would be all over that ! It would come in handy if I ever went to a third world country like the UK .

:D

I believe the Storm model is the only one made overseas.  Unfortunately none of the current models have the hard HAIII finish of the early "pewter" Novatacs.  One advancement since the early models, though, is the addition of a spring on the positive contact.  This protects the batter better and reduces the chance of losing contact when dropped.

- Terry

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 04:38:30 PM
I guess the lack of hard anno would explain the lack lower price point ( IIRC $99 , as opposed $129-149 on the old skool stuff ) .

Chris

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 05:26:44 PM
...that and the fact that they're made overseas.  I was wrong.  It appears that the only models made in the US are the 120T and 120M, from this thread.  Here is a quote directly from Novatac about the subject.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 05:29:41 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 07:28:15 PM
Very interesting . That would certainly be a factor in my choices . I much prefer HA III anyway . When you go to Novatacs website they are a tad evasive . With all this overseas outsourcing , who in hell do they expect to be around to buy their products . I was checking out Lighthounds site for other 2xAA bodies that will handle a McClicky , I'm feeling my way around , but their seem to be some other choices .

Chris

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD