Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Riding Rituals

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Riding Rituals
on: July 28, 2007, 05:43:35 AM
 I suppose we all have our own rituals we go through before a ride;I know I do,in fact I have a pre- and a post-ride ritual. I'll share mine with you,and why don't you share yours too.
Pre-ride...cycling shorts,gloves,wrist band,helmet on..check. Pockets of my jersey,or cago shorts have the following,cell phone,ID,health insurance info(necessary,believe me),..check. Saddle bag have a pocket inflator,patch kit, tire levers, multi-tool,..check.
 Great,so far,so good,now onto the bike...eyeball inspection,spokes good,cables look goodnothing out of place..check. Spin the wheels make sure they're true,check the brakes, they work;all bolts,screws,quick release levers good and secure,check.All systems A-OK..let's Ride !!!
Post ride, a quick look over to see if anything came loose out on the pavement,then a wipe down with a dry cloth,and a further wipe down with a silicon treated cloth,no matter what the weather.
 Sure it looks time consuming,but with some practice it's quick,and most of all,it helps ensure a good,enjoyable time doesn't turn into a ruined afternoon.
I

au Offline dingosrun

• bring it on
Re: Riding Rituals
Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 09:30:33 AM
mine is pull in from work about 6 pm
grab my bike
im already wearing i visible gear from work so i just wear those grab my water bottle
turn ipod back on and go ride off road and on and mostly all in the dark for 45 minutes to an hour depending on the day
get back to camp put bike in my room and do 5 minutes on the punching bag
then drink heaps and take shower then collapse in bed

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 10:22:44 AM
I don,t have any pre-ride rituals (certainly not in the valentino rossi way ;D) i just chech the bike visually, roll the bike back and forth to make sure the wheels and brakes are ok, then i,m off :)

all the tool are kept on the bike so the, all thats left is to check is that  i,ve got my phones, edc, and bob bag. :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 12:57:17 PM
Hey Bob, other than including the health insurance info, has anything else about your pre-ride ritual changed since your recent mishap?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 02:13:36 PM
Hey Bob, other than including the health insurance info, has anything else about your pre-ride ritual changed since your recent mishap?
that,s true a big accident is always a good wake up call ;)

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 04:27:02 PM
that,s true a big accident is always a good wake up call ;)
Uhhhh..well yes..I find myself running my hand along my ribs,maybe a reminder to exercise caution.
I

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 06:30:07 PM
I reinflate the tires about every 2 to 3 weeks.

Before each ride, I place a plastic bottle of cold water in its holder and zero the trip odometer on the bike computer.  I bring along a larger multitool (e.g., SOG PowerLock S60 or Victorinox SwissTool X) instead of the Victorinox Spirit I usually carry.   I also change my folding knife from a Spyderco Native to a Victorinox One Handed Trekker because it has additional tools.

I ride in blue jeans and use a couple of small bungee cords wrapped above the ankle and below the knee to keep the pants leg from contacting the chain and getting dirty.   The chain on a recumbent bicycle is much closer to the rider's leg than on an upright bicycle.

* gliss-photo-small.jpg (Filesize: 12.98 KB)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 06:32:29 PM by parnass »
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 07:06:08 PM
i still think that a gorgeous bike you,ve got there :)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 10:01:55 PM
I've never tried a recumbent. By the looks of that chain, an important pre-ride check would be to make sure everything was tucked into your jockey shorts properly.  :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 12:44:08 AM
I've never tried a recumbent. By the looks of that chain, an important pre-ride check would be to make sure everything was tucked into your jockey shorts properly.  :-\

Ouch!
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 06:43:02 AM

Ouch!
An injury like that would make broken ribs pale in comparison :cry:
I

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56