Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Where can I buy the leatherman binder posts?

nobody · 43 · 4318

Offline nobody

• New User
Where can I buy the leatherman binder posts?
on: July 18, 2007, 06:07:16 PM
I need to buy a couple of those flat binder posts that leatherman uses for their fuse model to hold the tool together but I can't find anyplace that sells them.  I want to do a mod and I can't get the ones my fuse to release, even with heat, so I may end up having to grind off the heads and replace the binder screws after I do the mod.  Any idea where to find those parts?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Where can I buy the leatherman binder posts?
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 11:47:21 PM
Yup.... Maybe the Mod Master himself will contact you about it...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline supratentorial

Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 02:11:19 AM
I'm not the "Mod Master" but...

I don't think Leatherman wants to promote altering their tools--might make warranty repairs a headache for them. Unless you're trying to make it look "original" there are lots of options.

The pins on a Fuse are the same diameter as the pins on SOG and PowerPlay multi-tools and many other brands of multi-tools. Both SOG and PowerPlay will sell you "replacement" pins. The length may be different though (I gave my Fuse away so I can't check). Short pins won't work, of course. But if the pins are too long, you could file them.

You could also buy pins from a company that sells knife kits.

Offline supratentorial

Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 05:11:11 AM
from KF:
OK, I didn't realize the pins were the same. I noted that the pins in the fuse & blast are not completely round and have a flat side to them, presumably for the lock. Thanks, I'll check some other options. I don't care at all if they don't "look" the same as the pain in the tail leatherman pins.

You bring up a good point that I hadn't thought about. It's been a while since I looked at the Fuse so let me draw analogy to the Charge. On the Charge, the flattened portion of the pins helps reduce tool clumping since the washers between the tools won't rotate freely. On the Charge, one the holes in the handle is also flattened--this prevents the pin from rotating freely. I'm not sure if it's the same on the Fuse. If it is the same as on the Charge, you won't be able to use standard pins without redrilling the holes for the pins.  :-[

Where's the "Mod Master"?    :pok:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 02:32:42 AM
Supratentorial is absolutely correct. The flats on the pivot pin engage flats in the handle hole (and flats in the washer holes) to prevent the blades from clumping. When you open up the scissors, you ONLY get the scissors, not the phillips and the can opener too. (see second photo below)

New pins from SOG or some other source won't have the correct flats on them. It should be easy to round out the holes in the handle and the washers though. Use a 3/16" drill bit or a round file to do the job. The anti-clumping feature will be defeated, but otherwise it will work. (Of course, none of this would be an issue if Leatherman would only make spare parts available.)

Below is a disassembled Fuse. Hope this helps until the Mod Master finally shows up.  :P

* fuse pins.jpg (Filesize: 120.17 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 02:33:16 AM
Close-up

* fuse pins2.jpg (Filesize: 124.37 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline supratentorial

Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 02:42:10 AM
J-sews Mod Master,

And where did you find this little guy (see photo)?!?!

* fuse-1.jpg (Filesize: 48.15 KB)

Offline AJ

Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 02:42:18 AM
What is that T handle tool you have in the photo?
Were do you buy them?
[

Offline AJ

Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 02:43:18 AM
Wow, post 8 seconds apart asking the same thing, lol...
[

Offline supratentorial

Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 02:45:43 AM
dakota, When we find out where to buy the tools, do you want to race to the store?   :P

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 02:46:56 AM
J-sews got them the old fashioned way!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 02:49:34 AM
Hehe...yep, I borrowed them from a friend. They actually belong to Def, and seem to work pretty well. No boogering on the knurls at all.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 02:56:46 AM
That's because I had them pre-boogered... did I ever toll you what I think those semi-needle nose pliers are good for? :P

:ahhh

Def

Offline supratentorial

Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 02:57:26 AM
Is the tool a home brew?  The tools would have come in handy yesterday--I took apart a Leatherman PST and PSTII.  ...I wanted a PSTII with a plain edge blade and a pocket clip.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 03:06:52 AM
Yup... I made it myself with some hand files and an old toothbrush.

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 03:31:12 AM
--I took apart a Leatherman PST and PSTII.  ...I wanted a PSTII with a plain edge blade and a pocket clip.

Interesting. What did you use for the pocket clip?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 03:42:36 AM
The old partially serrated blade.  Sure it means a few more stitches, but the good news is that you don;t have to search for an existing posket anymore- make one wherever you like!

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 04:03:33 AM
Mmmm...seems like a worthwhile trade-off...... ::)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: July 20, 2007, 04:13:29 AM
Just make sure you pair it with a Wenger Seamstress model and you should be set!

Def

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #19 on: July 20, 2007, 06:24:52 AM
Yup... I made it myself with some hand files and an old toothbrush.

Def

Seriously?  It looks store-bought.

I was just going to use vise grips on my Blast and Kick, but this tool is interesting...
[

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 20, 2007, 07:24:46 AM
I think Def and Bob snuck into the LM factory one night without telling the rest of us :cry:

* new.jpg (Filesize: 48.15 KB)
"

Offline supratentorial

Reply #21 on: July 20, 2007, 07:32:01 AM
--I took apart a Leatherman PST and PSTII.  ...I wanted a PSTII with a plain edge blade and a pocket clip.

Interesting. What did you use for the pocket clip?

I'm still toying around with the idea.  The pocket clip from a Leatherman Kick works so so (slides around a bit).  I might try modifying a pocket clip from a Leatherman Charge (J-sews-style). 

I removed all four pins from both the PST and the PSTII since I want to replace them with standard pins.  I heated the pins with a soldering iron (as you suggested to me a while ago) and removed the pins with two PowerPlay PT-510 pliers.  Most of the pins were easy to remove once heated but a couple took a bit of extra effort.  A dedicated tool would have made the job much quicker.

I'm still in the planning stages but here's a photo:

I may also replace the small driver with an awl but I'm still working out the details.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 07:35:07 AM by supratentorial »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: July 20, 2007, 06:20:24 PM
Wow, I'm impressed! Very nice work!  8)

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #23 on: July 23, 2007, 02:54:04 AM
The question must be asked.  Other than breaking into a Leatherman factory where can we get one of those tools to take the original knurled pins apart on a LM tool?
I hope this is not classified, I finally was able to get the five point torx plus tamper proof , then of course they changed to a standard six point.  Thanks ahead of time for any info you can give.

Offline AJ

Reply #24 on: July 23, 2007, 02:46:23 PM
The question must be asked.  Other than breaking into a Leatherman factory where can we get one of those tools to take the original knurled pins apart on a LM tool?
I hope this is not classified, I finally was able to get the five point torx plus tamper proof , then of course they changed to a standard six point.  Thanks ahead of time for any info you can give.

Yeah, time to cut the crap about you making it yourself with some hand files and an old toothbrush.
 :twak:

:D

[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: July 23, 2007, 03:22:04 PM
The truth is that we had to go to great lengths to try and get these, and at great expense, we finally did.  What we are looking at now, is the possibility of offering them to Multitool.org members as loaners should anyone need them for modding or repair.

Of course we have to do it in such a way as to make absolutely certain they are safe, as these are likely the only set we are ever to get, and we'd like everyone to benefit from them.  If they get lost or go missing, Multitool.org will be out a substantial amount of money, and a significant resource, and as you can imagine, we really wouldn't want that to happen.

This is one of the things we had in store for the paid membership that we discussed some time back. 

In reality, my toothbrush is safe at an undisclosed location under 24 hour guard...

Def

Offline AJ

Reply #26 on: July 24, 2007, 01:29:49 AM
So now that true starts to come out, lol...

How many do you have????

Any members her have the skills and tools to check one out and make us more of them?
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: July 24, 2007, 01:37:16 AM
Considering the guy who cranked them out for us did them all by hand, my guess is no.  Of course if you can find a place that can get them for a reasonable price that might be different, but we are looking at well over $100/set from my guy.

Def

Offline AJ

Reply #28 on: July 24, 2007, 02:01:43 AM
Considering the guy who cranked them out for us did them all by hand, my guess is no.  Of course if you can find a place that can get them for a reasonable price that might be different, but we are looking at well over $100/set from my guy.

Def

Ouch!
[

Offline AJ

Reply #29 on: July 24, 2007, 02:38:25 AM
It would make for a great "giveaway" item.

:pok:
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44