Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

GRRRR !

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
GRRRR !
on: March 21, 2010, 07:12:19 PM
The clicky on my Streamlight Stylus Pro failed . Not an Uber surprising thing I guess . Trouble is, I really loved that light . Form factor was perfect , metal work was nice , output was all I need in a work penlight . UI was great , just on/off . Why in hell didn't they stick with the twisty with button style found on the original Stylus .

While I'm picky about EDC lites , work related stuff like penlights and head lamps are just expendable ordinance .

EDC lites are too big in the head for looking into holes /nooks /crannies . Their outputs are often too high causing a lot of reflection etc . The long body format of a penlite is also better for hand retention than a single cell AAA EDC lite .

I'm tempted to sidestep the whole issue by going back to disposable examination lites .

Chris

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: GRRRR !
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 07:17:59 PM
That's annoying. :(  Are you going to get another or are you looking at a different light?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 07:31:41 PM
The Ideal would be to find a twisty that would fit the threads . I wouldn't be so annoyed if it wasn't such a great little lite . I don't think I'll bother sending it back to Streamlight .

I have been on a hunt for the perfect penlight for better than 30 years . I've used everything from Welch Allen medial penlights ( big $$$) to disposables ( enviromentally offensive ) . That little Streamy was among the best I ever used . Since I carry two EDC lites on my belt , I don't want 100 Lumens ( doesn't make too much sence as high levels aren't needed for the job , and the reflector is small ), nor do I need multi levels .

If I had acess to a lathe , I would make a twisty for it .

The other avenue - I might get a AAA Minimag and either buy a drop in , or mod it to take a 3mm LED . Just direct drive , in this application , regulation isn't needed .

Chris

ye Offline Sam Quint

Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 08:13:37 PM
There are a few other choices out there. I happen to really like Underwater Kinetics stuff. Really practical with rechargeable cells for many of my uses. YMMV, but anyways:  http://www.uwkinetics.com/product/23
I really like the Xenon lamp version of this too. The two heads are interchangeable on the older models, can't say for sure with the new ones.
A few of my friends make fun of my continued use of the UKE products, but my 12 year old penlight is still going strong. When Arc, Fenix, etc. get to the 10 year milestone, maybe then I'll pay the condescending comments some due.  :D

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 10:02:53 PM
UK makes some good stuff , good idea , has what I want in a Pen lite and nothing I dont want .

Chris

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 12:49:16 AM
Would one of these be any good for you? http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/fenix_ld05.html
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 01:42:46 AM
I think the Preon from 4sevens allows you to choose whether you want clicky or twisty: http://www.4sevens.com/index.php?cPath=297_332

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 02:04:27 AM
... I have been on a hunt for the perfect penlight for better than 30 years ....That little Streamy was among the best I ever used ...

The 2AAA penlight form factor is just about perfect for me.  I bought a Steamlight Stylus Pro used and would replace it in a heartbeat if it failed because it has been so handy.

A big plus is the forward clicky for single handed operation with momentary action.  A Preon won't do it for me.

I have my eye on the new (due out this month) EagleTac PN20a2 announced at SHOT 2010.  It is a 2AAA penlight which is purported to have a forward clicky switch with momentary action.  Twist the barrel to change between 22 and 100 lumen levels.
PN20a2.jpg
* PN20a2.jpg (Filesize: 103.17 KB)
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 03:05:47 AM
Some interesting options , different lows would be great , the hi would be redundant . Price isn't too much of an issue . What I'd really like is a 2 cell Leatherman S2 with the batts in parallel , perfect output , run forever . Does terraLux do a drop in for the AAA Minimag ?

I would also be happy if streamlight would sell me a couple of spare switches .

Chris

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 02:26:13 PM
I'm leaning more to something like a UK or Peli. It finally dawned on me that for some of the poking around I do , I would be better off with a non conductive pen light .Might increase my longevity somewhat !

Chris

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 01:10:43 AM
I'm leaning more to something like a UK or Peli. It finally dawned on me that for some of the poking around I do , I would be better off with a non conductive pen light .Might increase my longevity somewhat !

Chris

Like this? http://www.pelican.com/lights_detail.php?recordID=1830

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 02:14:02 AM

Chris

I got one of those from Zack, Just fine as a pen light but the switch doesn't feel the most solid (though I could be wrong, it's not had lots of use) but more importantly IMO finding AAAA cells is a pain.

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 02:16:52 AM

Chris

I got one of those from Zack, Just fine as a pen light but the switch doesn't feel the most solid (though I could be wrong, it's not had lots of use) but more importantly IMO finding AAAA cells is a pain.

Just crack open a 9v. It has 6 AAAA inside.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 02:18:37 AM

Chris

Not always, certainly not the one I tried anyway.  If someone can tell me a specific brand that is set up that way, it'd be a great help.

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 02:19:33 AM

Chris

Not always, certainly not the one I tried anyway.  If someone can tell me a specific brand that is set up that way, it'd be a great help.

I know normal Duracells are.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 02:22:34 AM

Chris

Cool, thanks Ari. :tu:

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 02:23:47 AM

Chris

I know the switch feels mushy, but my wife has had one for about 4 years now and its still going strong.  AAAA's are pretty easy to find here at most grocery stores.  And then theres a radio shack just down the road.

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 02:24:08 AM

Chris

Cool, thanks Ari. :tu:

Just be careful the polarity is backwards. Test using a multimeter first.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 02:27:42 AM

Chris

I got one of those from Zack, Just fine as a pen light but the switch doesn't feel the most solid (though I could be wrong, it's not had lots of use) but more importantly IMO is finding AAAA cells is a pain.
I know the switch feels mushy, but my wife has had one for about 4 years now and its still going strong.  AAAA's are pretty easy to find here at most grocery stores.  And then theres a radio shack just down the road.

That's good to know as well.  Seems I should be using this pelican much more than I have been. :cheers:

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 02:55:15 AM
The Peli line also has a couple of Twisty AAA's , both LED and Incan . Peli products have treated me well over the years .

Chris

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #20 on: March 23, 2010, 03:04:14 AM
The Peli line also has a couple of Twisty AAA's , both LED and Incan . Peli products have treated me well over the years .

Chris

Nice prices too. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/424402-REG/Pelican_1830_010_245_L4_3_AAAA_Pen.html

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%