Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What To Put In Your PSK?

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
What To Put In Your PSK?
on: March 21, 2010, 09:03:11 PM
On the back of jzmtl's thread of what to put your PSK in I would be interested to know what to put in it in the first place :D

I saw this one designed by Doug Ritter which looks quite extensive. I thought most of these PSK's were in a rigid box whereas this is a pouch. What do you think of this pack?

I know the fun may be is building it yourself but the lazy of us [not me  ;)] would prefer a starting base :D

Duct Tape
1    Duct Tape, 2" x 26"

Instrument
1    Pencil
4    Safety Pins

Sewing
1    Sewing Needle, #18, Chenille
1    Sewing Thread, Bobbin #69, Nylon

Survival Instructions
1    Waterproof Survival Instructions

Survival Tools
1    Aluminum Foil, Heavy Duty, 3 Sq. Ft.
1    Compass, Button, Liquid Filled
4    Fish Hook, #10
1    Fresnel Magnifier
10    Nylon Cord, #18, Braided, (10 ft. 100lb test)
1    Pocket Survival Pak Contents List
6    Safety Wire, Stainless Steel, (6 ft of 0.020")
1    Scalpel Sterile, Disposable, #22 Blade
1    Signal Mirror, Rescue Flash
1    Snap Swivel, Size 12
1    Spark-Lite
2    Split Shot, Lead B
4    Tinder Quick
1    Waterproof Paper
1    Whistle, Rescue Howler

This shows them putting it together  :tu:
http://www.equipped.org/psp_slideshow/pspslideshow.htm

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Re: What To Put In Your PSK?
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 09:05:32 PM
For the $ paid it's a nice basic starter kit, I've given a few away as presents and keep one in my edc bag along with a Pocket Medic :cheers:

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 03:46:23 AM
I have the Doug Ritter kit and like it a lot.

I added some of these for water carry: http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Seal-Breast-Milk-Storage/dp/B00005BLJ3

..or I suppose if you needed to EDC breast milk..  :think:

And I put one of the County Comm LED pocket lights in it.. I ditched a few of the safety pins and dropped in some small stainless nails and eye screws. Even with that you could still fit some lifeboat matches... or maybe a small Bic lighter if you dropped the LED.
G

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 09:54:41 AM
There not too bad, but I think it's better to just build your own out of quality bit's and pieces :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 02:17:58 PM
There not too bad, but I think it's better to just build your own out of quality bit's and pieces :)
+1 It took me some time to get it all together in a small but fully functional kit but it's doable.  The prepackaged ones are nice, but I got a better mix of stuff when I did it myself. 
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 02:37:23 PM
I think those are more like a play pack, if you really find yourself deep in it I'm not sure how useful those are.

Of course this is just guessing since I've never been in the situation.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 05:29:19 AM
Just made Altoids version, not sure when I'll ever use it, since I'm mostly in the city/suburbs and the contents are pretty useless, and if I'm in unpopulated area I'd bring something bigger.

Safety pins, fishing kit, steel wires, waxed jute twine, waterproof strike anywhere matches, water purification tabs, sewing kit, whistle, razor blade, duct tape, dental floss, aluminum foil.

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 05:39:39 AM
I don't really subscribe to the PSK regime at all, which some people consider weird as I frequent the backcountry. I always have just a fixed blade and lighter on me, as well as my headlamp, which covers about everything I would realistically need to survive (I have tried, 48 hours with just those tools, survived :)). As for kits I do carry, I have a Adventure Medical Kit Ultralight and Watertight .3 and .7, the .3 is more everyday/daytrips, the .7 is better for larger groups, and I also carry a drybag of some useful stuff like matches, spare lamp, SAK, hand warmers, which stays in the bottom of my pack. When I ski I carry a repair kit, because post-holing 5km back to the car in the dark is something we all would hate to do. That kit contains glue, self tapping screws and a metal plate with predrilled holes to reattach parts of the ski, hose clamps, zip straps, duct tape, golf tees, sewing kit (jacket rips are common in the trees), binding screws and several spare binding parts, and a small driver kit. It covers basically everything I need to repair ski wise.
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 06:05:45 AM
I'm not going into the contents of my whole kit but one of those foil survival blankets is a must in my opinion.

Not just for keeping yourself warm and dry (the tougher ones are great for this), but for medical reasons.  In my local ED we use them all the time for patients in shock or with hypothermia.  They are just such useful bits of kit and so light and easily portable.  I've got them scattered about all over the place :)

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 07:59:05 AM
I don't really subscribe to the PSK regime at all, which some people consider weird as I frequent the backcountry. I always have just a fixed blade and lighter on me, as well as my headlamp, which covers about everything I would realistically need to survive (I have tried, 48 hours with just those tools, survived :)). As for kits I do carry, I have a Adventure Medical Kit Ultralight and Watertight .3 and .7, the .3 is more everyday/daytrips, the .7 is better for larger groups, and I also carry a drybag of some useful stuff like matches, spare lamp, SAK, hand warmers, which stays in the bottom of my pack. When I ski I carry a repair kit, because post-holing 5km back to the car in the dark is something we all would hate to do. That kit contains glue, self tapping screws and a metal plate with predrilled holes to reattach parts of the ski, hose clamps, zip straps, duct tape, golf tees, sewing kit (jacket rips are common in the trees), binding screws and several spare binding parts, and a small driver kit. It covers basically everything I need to repair ski wise.

So you do carry a PSK, you just pack it everytime instead of pre-packed.

Offline andre0407

Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 06:44:33 PM
I think having some pictures of edible/ poisonous plants in the area you are going to be in in your PSK is helpful?

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 08:25:23 PM

So you do carry a PSK, you just pack it everytime instead of pre-packed.

You might be right J... never thought of it that way :think:
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%