Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber MP 600 D.E.T Fake.

Chako · 260 · 121864

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
on: March 23, 2010, 03:38:50 AM
Gareth's note:- This might be a little late but given that there still seems to be these MTs readily available on Ebay I thought I'd make this thread a sticky so folks know what to watch out for. :-\

I just got my “OEM Gerber MP 600 D.E.T” in the door. I took a close look at it and knew immediately that it was what I suspected…a fake. I am happy regardless because I didn’t spend much, and it is rather astonishingly well made for a fake. Regardless, I am sure Gerber isn’t happy about this even though I am quite happy to get such a good copy for the collection. Now all I need to do is get a real one down the road and I am set.

I am going to list all the things that tipped me off about this tool being off sort of speak.

The first thing that you will notice is the sheath. The sheath has the Gerber symbol, however, it is made of rather thin and cheap material.

If you take a look on the back, you will see how loose the belt loops are. No Gerber sheath is this bad.

It does look good. They got the likeness very close. So close that it is difficult to tell its pedigree from this photo.

With the tools opened however, you do notice a few things off, such as very slight tool shapes, wrong configuration, odd looking pliers, etc.

Now lets compare it to a real Gerber. The closest I had was this BO MP 600 model. Comparing them, you can tell right off the bat that the BO on the Gerber is better. I may be wrong, but the BO is just black paint on the fake. They do look very similar don’t they?

From the sides, there are a few places to see the differences though. In all Photographs, the fake is on the left and the real is on the right.

All the Gerber MP 600s that I own have stainless imprinted on the handles just above the tool lock tabs. The fake Plier lock tabs are of a shinier black plastic and aren’t as well formed as the real deal. They also bulge outwards a bit compared to the real ones.

Looking closer, you can see that the fake handles aren’t as angular as the real Gerber. It is more rounded as it goes towards the plier head. A few marking details are off as well. I must say, the ruler impressions are dead similar to the Gerber. I am a bit impressed with that.

Looking at the washer spaces, you will see that the washers are thicker. This of course means that the individual tools are also thinner then the real Gerber.

Although the handles are very close to the original, upon closer inspection, you can see that they used a slightly thinner sheet metal.

Looking at the inside of the handles at the locking mechanism, there are some subtle differences. The fake’s spring is smaller and the locking plate looks cheaper than the original.

The eBay seller is called hugewish, and although he states that he is from Hong Kong, the package came from Singapore with a return mail address:

30 Kaki Bukit Rd 3 #06-
03/04 Empire Techno Ctr
Singapore 418713

So there you have it. A not that badly made knock off of a good Gerber tool. Oh did I forget to mention that the plier heads rattle like the dead.  :D
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 06:30:50 PM by Gareth »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Re: Gerber MP 600 D.E.T Fake.
Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 04:38:01 AM
nice comparison man :salute: looking at the diferences the gerber looks really nice(fit&finish) now i cant wait for my MP600 :ahhh
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 04:47:16 AM by cliosguy »
A

Offline Kmarr

Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 04:45:29 AM
You bought this on purpose know it might be a fake? Was it for comparison purposes since it was cheap?

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 04:55:02 AM
I have one on the way. Also from hugewish. Bought it on the 11th so should be here soon.  I already have a DET  so I can compare.

Nice pics as usual Chako.
Dennis

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 05:07:50 AM
I kind of love it when collecting extends to look-alikes and downright knockoffs. :rofl:

Thanks for the picture comparisson, very enlightening. :tu:
Got those frog legs.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 05:17:28 AM
Hey, I took a chance. I wasn't 100% sure it wasn't genuine. My BS meter did go off the charts though based on the price. For what I paid for it, I am more than happy. If nothing else, it is a conversation piece

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 06:34:54 AM
Thanks for the pictures and your write up.  What really burns me to no end is a copy
is one thing but a copy using the name on it of the company your imitating is quite
another.  It's awful.  :-\

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 06:35:06 AM
Interesting. Think it's worthwhile to alert Gerber to this?

A few years ago the firearms accessory the Grip Pod became an item that was issued to certain US Military members, over the course of time poorly made Chinese clones managed to get into the supply system and cause problems for frontline troops. Being that the EOD tool is sometimes issued and used by US Military personnel it may be worth an email to let Gerber know so they can make sure their supply line doesn't get compromised.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 07:04:33 AM
A Gerber MUT...   :think:  :D
Great comparison, Chako..  :tu:

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 08:23:52 AM
do u realize how much trouble it is to create ALL of those stamped parts?

someone went thru an awful lot of trouble to make a counterfeit.

nice job on the comparisions BTW

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 11:16:07 AM
I agree with you Sean 100%. I thought it might be a fake. Once I got it in, some things told me it wasn't real. It doesn’t reach the Gerber quality level by far.

Quoted from Fisting_chilil

It is fake.  Gerber confirmed and know about these guys and are currently looking into a law suit.  I am in negotiations w/the seller to get my money back.  They seem very concerned w/bad feedback, so I told them I'd give them good feedback as long as I could just get my money back.  He agreed, but now we are haggling over him paying for the postage back and me giving feedback AFTER I get my refund, not before like he wants, lol.  I plan on getting my money back, giving good feedback, then forwarding all my email threads to eBay as proof of how he coerced good feedback from me by with holding my refund.  Hopefully they will then cancel his account all together.

smurfs.

It looks like Gerber already knew about these fakes, and are taking action against them. They must be making a profit by selling these at less than 30 dollars. I know a real Gerber MP 600 D.E.T runs around 90 on eBay. As a collector, I am happy with it. If I wasn't a collector, I would be royally ticked off.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 11:40:17 AM
Thanks for the heads up :tu:  Not being a Gerber collector I'm not sure I would have been able to spot the difference which is worrying, as that means there will be a lot of people out there buying these thinking they are the real deal :(
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 11:55:11 AM
Yes, this is a rather good copy.

Best bet for anyone out there who are viewing a possible purchase on eBay or elsewhere, that white USA is a dead giveaway. On a real Gerber, it is usually stamped and blends into the handles. This one is white paint and silk screened/printed on it. They really wanted to tell people that the tool was made in the US and thus made it prominent.

Offline andre0407

Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 12:30:12 PM
If it comes from Singapore... I reckon I could go pay them a visit and see what it's all about...

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 01:23:00 PM
Wow, that's a bit of a league above the usual knock-off / copies you come across isn't it?

I'm off to check my Gerber's are real......
I used to come here a lot.

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 03:11:44 PM
If it comes from Singapore... I reckon I could go pay them a visit and see what it's all about...

seller might be based in Singapore, but that tool comes from China

spam Offline Fisting_Chili

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 07:13:08 PM
Here is an update from my purchases of these fakes (I bought 2..yeah...I know...).

They are now trying to coerce me into leaving them positive feedback with full marks to get my money refunded to me.  I've been going back and forth with them all night and all day today.  I've also found out that ebay will refund all my cost themselves, so I told the seller that I will not leave him good feedback and will get my refund through ebay.

This is the feedback I just left for the two I purchased:  THESE ARE FAKE!  SELLER OFFERING REFUND ONLY IF I LEAVE POSITIVE REVIEW FIRST!!! 

Chako and anyone else that bought from this guy, I really hope you all do the same.

I've opened counterfeit claims on both my items with ebay.

The following is taken directly from the emails between the seller and myself:

Me:That is coersion.  I will not be forced into anything on the threat of not getting my money back.  I'll just get my refund from eBay when I file a fraudulent claim.

Seller:After you leave me two positive feedback with full marks. Ok ?

Me:That would be fine with me, up to you.  When will the refund of $51.98 go into my paypal?

Seller:My friend. I mean you could keep the items and don't need to send back ,because the postage will cost a lot .

Me:"Ok, leave me two positive feedbacks and I refund all of the 50USD back to you."
That is coercion.

If you want to solve the problem, just give me my full refund and I'll send the tools back.  That is the only answer.

Seller:I just want to slove the problem. I don't mean to coerce you .

Me:Not acceptable.  I could get my money back from ebay by filing a fraudulent claim without having to be coerced into leaving you positive feedback.

Seller: Ok, leave me two positive feedbacks and I refund all of the 50USD back to you .
“Do not go gentle, into that goodnight.  Rage....RAGE against the dying of the light!"

-Dylan Thomas

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 07:14:10 PM
I have one on the way. Also from hugewish. Bought it on the 11th so should be here soon.  I already have a DET  so I can compare.

Nice pics as usual Chako.

Biggest tell all is the fact that their DET is missing the Remington Saw that the real models have.
“Do not go gentle, into that goodnight.  Rage....RAGE against the dying of the light!"

-Dylan Thomas

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 07:16:00 PM
Thanks for the pictures and your write up.  What really burns me to no end is a copy
is one thing but a copy using the name on it of the company your imitating is quite
another.  It's awful.  :-\

I've notified Gerber of their ads (I say "their" because the seller is selling these items with two separate ebay accounts), as well as notified the website whose picture they stole and doctored to sell their fake items.

-Dylan Thomas

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 07:23:29 PM

Here is the info if you're inclined.
Name:
Li Hui
Address:
Room 302,No.158, Xin LiangXi RenJia
WuXi,214000
China
telephone:
+86-510--85892518

No idea if they are close to you or not.  Ebay has contacted them and the seller agreed to issue a full refund if I send them back.  Packing them up now.

-Dylan Thomas

Offline Kmarr

Reply #20 on: March 23, 2010, 08:23:09 PM
WOOOOOOOOO I LOVE SEEING SOME ACTION! :D

Did they try to pass it off as an original Gerber?  Thats very much fraud.  They have fake rescue tools on ebay that say "warning: this is not Victorinox" as the opening to the description. That ain't fraud.  I think anyone who bought imitation items from them should ban together and shut those jackasses down.  Especially since these smurf-tools end up in the military. bad idea :-\

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 23, 2010, 08:29:12 PM
WOOOOOOOOO I LOVE SEEING SOME ACTION! :D

Did they try to pass it off as an original Gerber?  Thats very much fraud.  They have fake rescue tools on ebay that say "warning: this is not Victorinox" as the opening to the description. That ain't fraud.  I think anyone who bought imitation items from them should ban together and shut those jackasses down.  Especially since these Colorful Enunciation-tools end up in the military. bad idea :-\

Here is a link to one of his auctions for these items.  Fully claim they are Gerber and even doctored the pictures on a real Gerber website and pasted it in his ad.
http://cgi.ebay.com/GERBER-MULTI-TOOL-PLIER-STAINLESS-CARBIDE-CUTTER-H1_W0QQitemZ320503535204QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9f7fd664

One thing for anyone leaving feedback...make sure you write "FAKE GERBER" in your feedback because for some reason, when I look at his feedback now, my items are locked as "private" instead of "view item" so anyone looking at my feedback will not know that it was the Gerbers my feedback stated were fake.  grrrr

-Dylan Thomas

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 08:41:13 PM
This boils my blood  :rant: being a huge fan of Gerber MTs, most because some people will actually think this is representative of Gerber's product.... !@$*%
SAW

Offline Kmarr

Reply #23 on: March 23, 2010, 08:41:51 PM
Wow they really make it abundantly clear that it is a GERBER.  It would have fooled me by looking at it cuz I know little about gerbers.  Looks a little suspicious that it is advertised for $96  on Gerber-tools.com and is going for $17.99.  

You might even be able to take this beyond ebay cuz it is noticibly counterfeit.

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: March 23, 2010, 08:42:57 PM
This boils my blood  :rant: being a huge fan of Gerber MTs, most because some people will actually think this is representative of Gerber's product.... !@$*%

Yeah...they are great tools.  I'm still trying to figure out how to convince Chako to trade me his yellow and black one.... :D

-Dylan Thomas

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #25 on: March 23, 2010, 09:11:37 PM
I know it's really bad and all that, but if anyone has a spare one............
I used to come here a lot.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #26 on: March 23, 2010, 09:17:11 PM
:D

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: March 23, 2010, 09:18:57 PM

Funny you mention that Dave...I just happen to have two extra.  The seller finally agreed to refund me the amount of $40.00.  I paid $25.99 each for the two I bought for a total of $51.98.  It would cost me $13.45 to ship them back to him, so he made the offer of letting me keep them and he'd refund me my total minus what it would cost me to ship them back.  So...case closed.  I've contacted all that should know about this seller, so that is that.

So...as I was saying...I now have two of these tools.  Wanna trade?  :D  Also Chako, if you move to get your money back, I'll trade you the other one!  LOL!

-Dylan Thomas

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #28 on: March 23, 2010, 09:53:37 PM

Funny you mention that Dave...I just happen to have two extra.  The seller finally agreed to refund me the amount of $40.00.  I paid $25.99 each for the two I bought for a total of $51.98.  It would cost me $13.45 to ship them back to him, so he made the offer of letting me keep them and he'd refund me my total minus what it would cost me to ship them back.  So...case closed.  I've contacted all that should know about this seller, so that is that.

So...as I was saying...I now have two of these tools.  Wanna trade?  :D  Also Chako, if you move to get your money back, I'll trade you the other one!  LOL!

i hope you stick it to the seller in eBay Feedback though, he/she obviously is concerned about looking "legit"

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: March 23, 2010, 09:56:26 PM

i hope you stick it to the seller in eBay Feedback though, he/she obviously is concerned about looking "legit"

This is what I left: THESE ARE FAKE!  SELLER OFFERING REFUND ONLY IF I LEAVE POSITIVE REVIEW FIRST!!!

However, for some reason my feedback is locked so where it usually says "view item" and you can click it to see, now it just says "private" and you cannot click it.  Whomever leaves feedback should put FAKE GERBER in their title so others will know what item is counterfeit.

-Dylan Thomas

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD