Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber MP 600 D.E.T Fake.

Chako · 260 · 122511

spam Offline Fisting_Chili

• No Life Club
Re: Gerber MP 600 D.E.T Fake.
Reply #120 on: March 31, 2010, 03:54:23 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gerber-Multi-Plier-600-Yellow-Lumilite-AA-Flashlight_W0QQitemZ370214809132QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item563285ae2c

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gerber-Multi-Plier-600-Black-Needle-Nose-Sheath-NEW_W0QQitemZ380220000809QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5886e0ca29

both sellers are US-based, but the price (Buy It Now for less than $35) and qty (more than 10 available) make me wonder :think:
Those are real.  I bought one of the yellow set (Damn you Chako!!!).  One thing to, is I look at the seller rating and with both of theirs in the thousands, I'd trust it. 
“Do not go gentle, into that goodnight.  Rage....RAGE against the dying of the light!"

-Dylan Thomas

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #121 on: March 31, 2010, 03:56:36 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gerber-Multi-Plier-600-Yellow-Lumilite-AA-Flashlight_W0QQitemZ370214809132QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item563285ae2c

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gerber-Multi-Plier-600-Black-Needle-Nose-Sheath-NEW_W0QQitemZ380220000809QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5886e0ca29

both sellers are US-based, but the price (Buy It Now for less than $35) and qty (more than 10 available) make me wonder :think:
Those are real.  I bought one of the yellow set (Damn you Chako!!!).  One thing to, is I look at the seller rating and with both of theirs in the thousands, I'd trust it. 

Something's amiss if they can sell at those prices, and everyone else is around 60...

or maybe im just paranoid :ahhh

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #122 on: April 03, 2010, 02:45:01 PM
Just got one of these DET's in via Australia (thanks MAT!) and sure enough its fake as a three dollar bill. :P Every single component - at least 20 different parts - has been copied and remade. Nothing is original Gerber. An amazingly thorough job of counterfeiting to be sure. But the clues are there and easy to spot once you know what to look for.

The plier head for instance looks good at arms length, but I wonder how well the crimper jaws would really work? The crimp profile is much better formed on the genuine article:

You guys have already pointed out the other major shortcomings in the handles and blades. One other thing worth mentioning though is the slider spring-clips. They are barely held on on the fake model! I was able to pop them off easily with just my fingernail. No way you could do this on a real Gerber! :o

Once apart, you can see other differences between a real Gerber plier head casting and the fake one.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• No Life Club
Reply #123 on: April 03, 2010, 03:01:28 PM
Just got one of these DET's in via Australia (thanks MAT!) and sure enough its fake as a three dollar bill. :P Every single component - at least 20 different parts - has been copied and remade. Nothing is original Gerber. An amazingly thorough job of counterfeiting to be sure. But the clues are there and easy to spot once you know what to look for.

The plier head for instance looks good at arms length, but I wonder how well the crimper jaws would really work? The crimp profile is much better formed on the genuine article:

(Image removed from quote.)

You guys have already pointed out the other major shortcomings in the handles and blades. One other thing worth mentioning though is the slider spring-clips. They are barely held on on the fake model! I was able to pop them off easily with just my fingernail. No way you could do this on a real Gerber! :o

Once apart, you can see other differences between a real Gerber plier head casting and the fake one.

Who'd you buy from?  The seller?  Is it the same guy?  Thats cool you can take it all apart like that and I agree ...they are damn well made fakes, but fakes none the less.  I hope no service personnel bought them to use in the field...
“Do not go gentle, into that goodnight.  Rage....RAGE against the dying of the light!"

-Dylan Thomas

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #124 on: April 03, 2010, 03:19:46 PM
I do believe Mat originally obtained mine from the same Hugewish shyster that you fellows did.

And it's NOT cool that it comes apart this easily! :P The damn thing would probably disintegrate just when you needed it the most! :ahhh

In my opinion, they built this fake one to look good only while still in the package. (painted black metal instead of proper B.O. finish, flimsy plastic lock releases, thin gauge metal handles, etc)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #125 on: April 03, 2010, 03:29:00 PM
Agreed.

Most fakes only need to dupe the unwary online for the sell.

I know about the easy disassembly. I did that to mine the other day. It goes back together as easy as it comes apart.  :D

I do like these fakes though. I have a Mammut that should make landfall sometime in the next 2 to 3 weeks.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• No Life Club
Reply #126 on: April 03, 2010, 03:43:43 PM
Agreed.

I know about the easy disassembly. I did that to mine the other day. It goes back together as easy as it comes apart.  :D

I do like these fakes though. I have a Mammut that should make landfall sometime in the next 2 to 3 weeks.

Mammut? ???

-Dylan Thomas

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #127 on: April 03, 2010, 03:53:04 PM
Agreed.

Mammut? ???

Fake (junk) Wave :P

• No Life Club
Reply #128 on: April 03, 2010, 04:03:13 PM
Agreed.

Mammut? ???

Fake (junk) Wave :P
Haha,  how do you get "fake wave" from "mammut"?? 

-Dylan Thomas

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #129 on: April 03, 2010, 04:10:52 PM
Mammut is German for mammoth, and is also the name of an import company. What comes out the back end of the mammoth is the crap Wave knock off they sell:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,5657.0.html

• No Life Club
Reply #130 on: April 03, 2010, 04:11:53 PM
Mammut is German for mammoth, and is also the name of an import company. What comes out the back end of the mammoth is the crap Wave knock off they sell:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,5657.0.html
Ahhh...thats pretty funny and clever!

-Dylan Thomas

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #132 on: April 03, 2010, 10:28:07 PM

does the fake accept the real plier head?

just curious
I

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #133 on: April 03, 2010, 10:30:10 PM
does the fake accept the real plier head?

just curious

It does! (man these guys copied it to a tee) :P

Offline Kmarr

Reply #134 on: April 04, 2010, 03:58:07 AM
What crafty little buggers!

Also, I didn't know it was that easy to take out the plier, now more mod ideas just came into my head :ahhh
so many mods and I have not yet finished one!! :ahhh

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #135 on: April 04, 2010, 09:38:37 AM
What crafty little buggers!

Also, I didn't know it was that easy to take out the plier, now more mod ideas just came into my head :ahhh
so many mods and I have not yet finished one!! :ahhh

there made to do that though
I

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #136 on: April 10, 2010, 02:54:27 AM
Well it didn't take long for our boy to find himself back on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/GERBER-MULTI-TOOL-PLIER-STAINLESS-CARBIDE-CUTTER-H1_W0QQitemZ180490738622QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2a06161bbe

Now goes by the name mamawed2009 from China.

Note the stars around the name brand in the title...a dead giveaway. This item is fake. Note the USA that is painted on as opposed to punched into the handles. That sheath is made of thin materials also.

I reported him for all the good that will do.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #137 on: April 10, 2010, 08:56:12 AM
"Awesome eBayer" huh? ::)

don't know if it's the SAME seller, definitely using HUGEWISH images

Like I said, until something is done on the supply chain side to choke off the supply of these "fakes", they will have difficulty stopping these auctions

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #138 on: April 13, 2010, 09:24:12 PM
Well it didn't take long for our boy to find himself back on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/GERBER-MULTI-TOOL-PLIER-STAINLESS-CARBIDE-CUTTER-H1_W0QQitemZ180490738622QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2a06161bbe

Now goes by the name mamawed2009 from China.

Note the stars around the name brand in the title...a dead giveaway. This item is fake. Note the USA that is painted on as opposed to punched into the handles. That sheath is made of thin materials also.

I reported him for all the good that will do.

im glad i just read this as i came across this today on ebat and thought wow thats cheap,  :-\   :cheers: ill give it a miss  :tu:

paul

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #139 on: April 30, 2010, 05:39:26 AM
so much for eBay stepping in huh? now the seller has a perfect 100% feedback rating again  :think:

• No Life Club
Reply #140 on: April 30, 2010, 03:19:26 PM
so much for eBay stepping in huh? now the seller has a perfect 100% feedback rating again  :think:

I've pulled up that seller's for sale items and for each of the Gerbers, have reported the items as fake.

-Dylan Thomas

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #141 on: April 30, 2010, 03:41:41 PM

I've pulled up that seller's for sale items and for each of the Gerbers, have reported the items as fake.

no doubt, but my point remains, eBay helps provide a safe haven for these types of sellers - which is why, IMHO, the only way to root out the problem is to address it from the supply chain side

• No Life Club
Reply #142 on: April 30, 2010, 03:57:13 PM

no doubt, but my point remains, eBay helps provide a safe haven for these types of sellers - which is why, IMHO, the only way to root out the problem is to address it from the supply chain side

They deleted the seller's other handle that was selling most of the Gerbers though, so ebay did actually take some action.  Was a bit slow, but something at least.  Also, I noticed that the current seller, at one time, had at least 10 of the Gerbers listed and now only has 1.  Used to have at least 3 pages of items for sale and now has less than 1.  Maybe action is still in the works.

-Dylan Thomas

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #143 on: April 30, 2010, 09:59:12 PM
The open auction reads: "more than 10 available."
 :oops:

Offline kl27x

Reply #144 on: May 08, 2010, 11:16:41 PM
Is it just me, or does reading this thread make anyone else want to specifically seek out a fake Gerber MT at a smoking low cost? :)

Offline Kmarr

Reply #145 on: May 08, 2010, 11:23:40 PM
 :angel:

Reading about how horrible the fake rescue tool was made me want to get one...

...so I did :D

• No Life Club
Reply #146 on: May 08, 2010, 11:31:44 PM
Is it just me, or does reading this thread make anyone else want to specifically seek out a fake Gerber MT at a smoking low cost? :)

I have one I'll trade you or sell to you!  Pm me if interested :D

-Dylan Thomas

Offline thundernoodle

• A War Hammer. The only tool you really need!
Reply #147 on: June 04, 2010, 10:33:25 PM
if you go on his ebay page you can report item. i just did and reported that he was selling them before under the username hugewish. if you also look at a couple of his items for sale ie (Browning) its got hugewish over the picture. Ebay must do something if they get many reports  :D

• No Life Club
Reply #148 on: June 04, 2010, 11:11:03 PM
:angel:

Reading about how horrible the fake rescue tool was made me want to get one...

...so I did :D

You dork, lol!  I have one just sitting around!  Coulda traded you something for it. :D

-Dylan Thomas

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #149 on: June 15, 2010, 05:30:36 AM
i hate to say i told you so, but the same seller STILL has a perfect 100% feedback on eBay + numerous fake Gerbers for sale

http://shop.ebay.com/mamawed2009/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%