Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber MP 600 D.E.T Fake.

Chako · 260 · 121868

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Gerber MP 600 D.E.T Fake.
Reply #30 on: March 23, 2010, 11:16:43 PM
Unfortunately, I left them a good review before I took a really close look at it. I jumped the gun on this one.  :-[

I have contacted eBay however and notified them of the goings on. I am quite pleased with it for the price. I did have my suspicions, but I must say, they aren't that bad quality wise for a fake. Once I opened the tool, the saw was a dead giveaway. Then I started to look online and found a few sites with different photos. The more I dug, the more I realized it was a fake. Then I went over it with a fine tooth comb comparing with my other Gerbers and quickly put together this thread to warn others about this one.

I won't fight the seller for 23 dollars. I have bought worse quality tools for more unfortunately. :( I did tell him he is selling fakes...he hasn't responded yet.

So long as everyone is warned about it, and Gerber knows about it, I have no qualms adding this one to the collection.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #31 on: March 24, 2010, 12:11:31 AM
Update. I phoned and talked to an eBay agent. They will be looking into it. I also informed them of this thread.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #32 on: March 24, 2010, 01:15:09 AM
... The eBay seller is called hugewish....

hugewish?   Odd name which resembles hogwash.    :D
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #33 on: March 24, 2010, 07:13:29 AM
Unfortunately, I left them a good review before I took a really close look at it. I jumped the gun on this one.  :-[

I have contacted eBay however and notified them of the goings on. I am quite pleased with it for the price. I did have my suspicions, but I must say, they aren't that bad quality wise for a fake. Once I opened the tool, the saw was a dead giveaway. Then I started to look online and found a few sites with different photos. The more I dug, the more I realized it was a fake. Then I went over it with a fine tooth comb comparing with my other Gerbers and quickly put together this thread to warn others about this one.

I won't fight the seller for 23 dollars. I have bought worse quality tools for more unfortunately. :( I did tell him he is selling fakes...he hasn't responded yet.

So long as everyone is warned about it, and Gerber knows about it, I have no qualms adding this one to the collection.

I gotta admit I did not pick my one as a fake  :( :(. I got my one with the view of trading it , but when I found that the Spike did not have a good lock up & could not trade it in that condition. I put it to the side wondering if I should send it in too Gerber . Glade I did not unwittingly trade a fake.
I am going to have a closer look at my one tonight. Great pick up Chako  :salute: :salute:
Strange model to copy init  :think: :think: :think: :think:.
If the price is too good to be true  ::) ::) :D :D :D :D

I just had a thought, I sure hope no service men/women bought any of these & it fails on them  >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 07:15:14 AM by MultiMat »

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #34 on: March 24, 2010, 09:12:35 AM
...get a rope  :rant:
SAW

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: March 24, 2010, 11:16:57 AM
I learned a bit last night. I did not know I could do an update to my feedback. I revisited my comment for this seller. Not as flashy as Fisting_chili's comment, but it is better than "all is warm and fuzzy with the world".

I also noted this seller has several "name brands" in between stars. I would wager those "name brands" are not really "name brands" at all.

I hear you MultiMat. It is such a well made copy isn't it? On mine, everything has a good solid lock including the C4 Spike.

If you didn't pay much for it, I would keep it as a cautionary tale if not a conversation piece.

I hear you loud and clear about soldiers buying this for front line duty. That thought really pissed me off. Even though it is a good copy of a Gerber, it still isn't a Gerber, and there is no telling what will fall off of it or break in an EDC situation.  :rant:

spam Offline Fisting_Chili

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: March 24, 2010, 02:04:57 PM
Hey Chako,
If you're still looking for a DET, keep an eye on this one...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gerber-07400-Multi-tool-600-DET-NIB_W0QQitemZ250603219284QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a591da954

Auction just ended on another of these for this seller at $45.00!    That is a good price!  This one is real too
“Do not go gentle, into that goodnight.  Rage....RAGE against the dying of the light!"

-Dylan Thomas

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: March 24, 2010, 03:18:40 PM
On a side note, my Gerb 600 is my most carried tool.  Need those easily accessible pliers often
and the tools although a bit stubby perform what I need of them usually and are so easy to
get open when outdoors with cold hands and fingers.  :tu:

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: March 24, 2010, 07:13:08 PM
Damn, this crap just doesn't end. 

Seller refunded me $20.00 for the one of the fakes and is still trying to get me to agree to cancel my bad feedback before sending the second refund.  I told him no and that my feedback was factual and did not have any personal attacks against him as a seller, but that others should be warned.

Now seller has changed his mind on giving me partial refunds and keep the tools, and wants me to send them both back for a full refund.  I don't think so.  He made the partial payment offer through ebays system and I accepted through ebay's system.  Deal is struck.  I called ebay and they told me to have him just give me my $20.00 and once verified, just call back and they'll close my case.

What a pain in the ass, but I will not be told what and how I can or cannot leave feedback for a deal that went south, through no fault of my own.  I even sent him this from ebay:

Sellers may not require buyers to leave specific Feedback or Detailed Seller Ratings.  Sellers also may not demand that buyers withdraw existing Feedback or Detailed Seller Ratings.  These prohibitions apply to all Feedback activity, whether prior to, during, or after delivery of goods or services described in the original listing.

Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:-->Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:

Listing cancellation

Limits on account privileges

Account suspension

Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings

Loss of PowerSeller status

Feedback rating and/or comment removal

Some Examples
"A seller receives payment from a buyer and then tells the buyer, “Leave me positive Feedback or I will not ship your item.”
“Do not go gentle, into that goodnight.  Rage....RAGE against the dying of the light!"

-Dylan Thomas

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: March 24, 2010, 07:40:23 PM
My DET is not here yet but recieved this email from the seller today.

"My friend , I just be told by some buyer , that the item I sold to you maybe not a real one. When you receive it , please send back it to me,  I will make full refund to you. Sorry for all the troubles I made,and thanks for your help. I don't mean to cheat anyone of my buyer. Thanks."

Dennis

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: March 24, 2010, 08:06:09 PM
My DET is not here yet but recieved this email from the seller today.

"My friend , I just be told by some buyer , that the item I sold to you maybe not a real one. When you receive it , please send back it to me,  I will make full refund to you. Sorry for all the troubles I made,and thanks for your help. I don't mean to cheat anyone of my buyer. Thanks."

Interesting.  I wonder if that came before or after I opened a claim with ebay's trust and safety department over his attempts to extort positive feedback from me.  Because I refused to cancel my negative feedback about him, he has changed his mind on the second item and is now requiring me to send it back before I can get my full refund on it.

-Dylan Thomas

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: March 24, 2010, 11:44:11 PM
Got this email a couple hours after the last one.

"When you receive the message ,please connect me.
And if you like the item and feel worth the price, you could keep it. And I'd like to send back 10USD to slove the problem. And hope you could just leave me a positive feedback."

Dennis

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: March 25, 2010, 01:03:19 AM
Hmmm, I'd suspected these DET's might be fakes, based on the low price and where the seller was based. :-\ An even bigger clue was that the seller (hugewish) was the same guy who sold me this:

Must be some Chinese factory is really going after Gerber big time. >:( What will be next? Fake Suspensions?! :ahhh
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: March 25, 2010, 01:22:27 AM
Well after phoning eBay and talking with one of their agents. It seems that I was offered the same deal with the 10 dollars refund. I took it. :)

That makes for a nice cheap example of a fairly good fake.

Fisting_Chili, I also opened a case against him shortly after you did.  :salute:

Bob, looks like it.

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: March 25, 2010, 03:11:02 AM
Well after phoning eBay and talking with one of their agents. It seems that I was offered the same deal with the 10 dollars refund. I took it. :)

That makes for a nice cheap example of a fairly good fake.

Fisting_Chili, I also opened a case against him shortly after you did.  :salute:

Bob, looks like it.

Power to the people! :tu:

-Dylan Thomas

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: March 25, 2010, 02:29:26 PM

And if you like the item and feel worth the price, you could keep it. And I'd like to send back 10USD to slove the problem. And hope you could just leave me a positive feedback."

You guys think there is ANY chance this seller didn't know he was selling fakes and is a victim himself?  I find it weird that he originally offered to let me keep the tools and give me a partial refund, but once I refused to cancel my negative feedback, he changed his mind and insisted he needs both tools back so he can take them all back to the factory for refund....BUT....that he is still offering partial refunds to both you and Chako.  Hmmm....

-Dylan Thomas

us Offline sawman

Reply #46 on: March 25, 2010, 05:53:19 PM
I think he had to know at some point what he was selling. If not the very beginning, then after all the complaints of fakes started.
SAW

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: March 25, 2010, 06:58:08 PM
I think he had to know at some point what he was selling. If not the very beginning, then after all the complaints of fakes started.

Well, I call Bullsh**.  He is still putting up new ads
http://cgi.ebay.com/GERBER-MULTI-TOOL-PLIER-STAINLESS-CARBIDE-CUTTER-H1_W0QQitemZ220578681434QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item335b83925a

-Dylan Thomas

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: March 25, 2010, 07:02:57 PM

You guys think there is ANY chance this seller didn't know he was selling fakes and is a victim himself?  I find it weird that he originally offered to let me keep the tools and give me a partial refund, but once I refused to cancel my negative feedback, he changed his mind and insisted he needs both tools back so he can take them all back to the factory for refund....BUT....that he is still offering partial refunds to both you and Chako.  Hmmm....

I find it hard to believe that he did'nt know they were fake. And even if he did'nt know at the beginning he should  know now. But that is'nt slowing him down any. Still several auctions going on.
Dennis

us Offline sawman

Reply #49 on: March 25, 2010, 07:09:56 PM
Do they still have the "Ask seller a question" option for Ebay auctions? If so, you could ask "Why are you selling fakes?" for all to see...  :-\
SAW

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: March 25, 2010, 07:14:52 PM
Do they still have the "Ask seller a question" option for Ebay auctions? If so, you could ask "Why are you selling fakes?" for all to see...  :-\
They still have it. But even if he answers it won't show up on the auction page unless he wants it to. Its an option
Dennis

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #51 on: March 25, 2010, 08:47:13 PM

Not a chance.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #52 on: March 25, 2010, 11:11:03 PM
Not only does he know they are fakes, he is also selling other tools as Gerbers, when they aren't. He bookends the name brand between black stars, telling me that it is a fake Item. If you look at his items, Gerber isn't the only name brand being ripped off.

Likewise, he is selling one of these tools.

At least it doesn't have Gerber on the tool, but he calls it a Gerber and it is between those black stars to draw attention to that fact.

The guy is guilty of peddling known fakes.

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: March 25, 2010, 11:58:06 PM
Not only does he know they are fakes, he is also selling other tools as Gerbers, when they aren't. He bookends the name brand between black stars, telling me that it is a fake Item. If you look at his items, Gerber isn't the only name brand being ripped off.

(Image removed from quote.)

At least it doesn't have Gerber on the tool, but he calls it a Gerber and it is between those black stars to draw attention to that fact.

He and I are still going at it.  Now he is telling me (again!!!) that if I cancel my feedback, he will issue me the 20.00 refund for the second tool (1st one has already been refunded).  A few minutes before he was telling me to mail both tools back and he'll refund me my full amount.   I told him no, I'll send one back because the other one was already resolved and agreed upon...case closed.  Then he said if I send both tools back, he'll refund me the remaining balance for my full price minus the 20.00 he already paid me.  Isn't that the exact same thing? 

Then he goes into the whole thing about how he pays 15 for them so by him paying me the 20, it was his good faith gesture so I'd cancel my feedback.  Uh...no.  I never agreed to that.  Dude is nuts. 

I think anyone that deals with this counterfeit seller should nail him in feedback.

-Dylan Thomas

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #54 on: March 26, 2010, 01:38:32 PM

HOW is that Lansky a fake? Because it doesnt come from Lansky? It's the same exact tool.

http://www.worldtools.com/tools/lansky-function-multitool-p-5996.html

I can tell you this eBay seller probably has a direct contact at the Chinese factory that Lansky's "sourcing agent" used; it's one of the pitfalls of sourcing from China.

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: March 26, 2010, 01:45:39 PM

HOW is that Lansky a fake? Because it doesnt come from Lansky? It's the same exact tool.

http://www.worldtools.com/tools/lansky-function-multitool-p-5996.html

I can tell you this eBay seller probably has a direct contact at the Chinese factory that Lansky's "sourcing agent" used; it's one of the pitfalls of sourcing from China.

Well one thing I noticed right off the bat looking at your link is that the Lansky in this photo has the words facing the opposite direction.  Instead of them facing in toward each other, they face outward, away from each other.  Probably just another well conceived fake made of inferior materials and inferior design.

-Dylan Thomas

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #56 on: March 26, 2010, 01:51:55 PM

Funny you said that, Spyderco scrapped their 1st byrd knife model because the factory was selling it out the back door from the start.

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #57 on: March 26, 2010, 01:58:58 PM

Well one thing I noticed right off the bat looking at your link is that the Lansky in this photo has the words facing the opposite direction.  Instead of them facing in toward each other, they face outward, away from each other.  Probably just another well conceived fake made of inferior materials and inferior design.

that's a pretty generic Chinese MT to start with, and nobody is going to "tool up" to make a "fake" so they can move a few units on Ebay; they'd never recoup their investment.

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: March 26, 2010, 02:30:33 PM

that's a pretty generic Chinese MT to start with, and nobody is going to "tool up" to make a "fake" so they can move a few units on Ebay; they'd never recoup their investment.

Not sure what you mean by "tool up"?  It it is anything like the MP 600 DET that started this thread, then it is most likely that it is not made to the exact standards of the real Lanskys.    Maybe they shaved a bit off the thickness of the steel gauge or maybe they have cheaper locking mechanisms, or maybe the steel quality is just not the same grade.  Its bad enough selling their tools under another company's name (one with a long history of excellence and a known reputation), but to sell inferior products under that company's name is even worse.  Like others, I wonder if anyone in the armed services bought any of these inferior tools.

-Dylan Thomas

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #59 on: March 26, 2010, 05:59:12 PM
THAT Lansky tool is a generic multitool; they either paid a sourcing agent to procure it or licensed their brand to someone like Alltrade. I seriously doubt anyone from Lansky has ever set foot inside that Chinese factory.

I LIVE in Yangjiang, China about 4 months out of the year to watch over production; rarely do I see any Americans, and if I do, they are there for 1-2 days max. Can't blame em, it's a sh*thole city, not even a McDonalds.

Like the other poster mentioned, this seems to be a Chinese supplier issue, selling unauthorized versions, maybe even ones that failed QC inspection. But the notion some factory would invest in all that tooling to make some replicas to sell on eBay (how else are they going to sell them?) is very naive.

Take a close look at the fasteners on the "fake" Gerber and see how they resemble these other tools the seller posted? someone is dipping in the same parts pin if u ask me.

I haven't compared closely against the Carolina stuff coming out of China nut it wouldn't shock me if these "Gerbers" were coming out the backdoor.

Just my $.02

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD