Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber MP 600 D.E.T Fake.

Chako · 260 · 121890

spam Offline Fisting_Chili

• No Life Club
Re: Gerber MP 600 D.E.T Fake.
Reply #60 on: March 26, 2010, 06:17:25 PM
THAT Lansky tool is a generic multitool; they either paid a sourcing agent to procure it or licensed their brand to someone like Alltrade. I seriously doubt anyone from Lansky has ever set foot inside that Chinese factory.

I LIVE in Yangjiang, China about 4 months out of the year to watch over production; rarely do I see any Americans, and if I do, they are there for 1-2 days max. Can't blame em, it's a sh*thole city, not even a McDonalds.

Like the other poster mentioned, this seems to be a Chinese supplier issue, selling unauthorized versions, maybe even ones that failed QC inspection. But the notion some factory would invest in all that tooling to make some replicas to sell on eBay (how else are they going to sell them?) is very naive.

Take a close look at the fasteners on the "fake" Gerber and see how they resemble these other tools the seller posted? someone is dipping in the same parts pin if u ask me.

I haven't compared closely against the Carolina stuff coming out of China nut it wouldn't shock me if these "Gerbers" were coming out the backdoor.

Just my $.02

Interesting....I honestly don't know enough(or anything really...) about  Lanskys to say, so I'll just shut my maw on that one, lol.  So you mean that Lansky licensed their name to a generic distributor like Alltrade (not sure if I understand that fully) and that alltrade paid for the right to use Lansky's name as they wish? 

I can say, from speaking with Gerber here in Portland, that the DET's this seller is putting out are in no way authorized or connected to the Gerber company at all. No permissions were given and they are looking into legal action.
Thanks!
“Do not go gentle, into that goodnight.  Rage....RAGE against the dying of the light!"

-Dylan Thomas

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #61 on: March 26, 2010, 06:50:15 PM
That "fake" Gerber is def unauthorized  :rofl:

I'm just suggesting that the source of the problem probably has ties to Gerber's Chinese supplier network.

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: March 26, 2010, 06:53:17 PM
That "fake" Gerber is def unauthorized  :rofl:

I'm just suggesting that the source of the problem probably has ties to Gerber's Chinese supplier network.

Ahhh!  got it.  Thanks for the clarification :D
“Do not go gentle, into that goodnight.  Rage....RAGE against the dying of the light!"

-Dylan Thomas

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #63 on: March 26, 2010, 07:00:27 PM
Also, just to clarify, I'm a merely offering an informed opinion (hopefully); I don't have any hard evidence in this case. But then again, solving their headaches isn't part of MY job description.

8)

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: March 26, 2010, 07:02:39 PM
Also, just to clarify, I'm a merely offering an informed opinion (hopefully); I don't have any hard evidence in this case. But then again, solving their headaches isn't part of MY job description.

8)

Funny, when I worked with lawyers, I always used to tell them, "YOUR rush is not MY priority" :tu:

-Dylan Thomas

Offline mhhanson

Reply #65 on: March 26, 2010, 08:23:47 PM
This is highly likely an example of why you have to really watch what is happening with overseas production.  It can happen with any outsourced production, but overseas where you are not there watching, it can really show up.  There have been companies ruined by the clones that rolled off of unsupervised lines.  They transferred the technology and were transferred out of business.

It is just too easy when there is no one around to walk the product out of the back door.  If nothing happens then it just gets worse until you see your product sitting at half price next to your official one.  Then they say sorry and go on to the next sucker.

This is not a Xenophopic chant, I have seen good stuff done off shore or by contract, honestly, but usually to get it, you pay a premium to get it, have your people there and on a first name basis with the company, and/or own the plant.  When outsourcing, it is very much buyer beware and requires more effort than most companies realize.  It is not just the MBA attitude, lets get of that troublesome, dirty plant and rake in the dough, it is harder work wth the travel as running that dirty, troublesome plant or you end up in a process that starts with Chapter and ends with 11 or 7.

My vote goes for this one walked out the back door.

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: March 26, 2010, 09:20:03 PM
Mine showed up today.  Couple pics beside the real one..

Dennis

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: March 26, 2010, 09:46:17 PM
Alright, my ordeal is finally over.  I proposed he give me a $10 refund on the second one and we'll call it even.  Went back and forth, back and forth as I tried to weedle him that if he spent 15 on it and I bought for 25, giving me a 10 refund would make him brake even and would at least close the fraud case and the feedback extortion case I have open against him.    Ebay would require me to send it back with delivery confirmation...which to China would cost me over 25.00 but I didn't tell the seller that.   So he thinks I only lose the $15, but if I had to ship it back I would have lost even more.

Its done and I'm glad.

-Dylan Thomas

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: March 26, 2010, 09:52:07 PM
Now...do you think I can sell these on ebay if I list them as Gerber fakes???   :rofl:

-Dylan Thomas

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #69 on: March 26, 2010, 10:00:24 PM
Now...do you think I can sell these on ebay if I list them as Gerber fakes???   :rofl:

eBay really helps perpetuate this sort of unauthorized/counterfeit business by allowing these overseas sellers to maintain auctions - the companies affected have little recourse against the seller(s), other than maybe shutting down their eBay accounts.

If someone were stupid enough to import those things to the US and then sell them, then they could get hit with trademark/patent infringement suits like whoa :twak:

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #70 on: March 26, 2010, 10:15:03 PM
Its all about presentation :P

Title: Genuine INFAMOUS Gerber FAKES!!!

Description:  Yes these are the real deal!  These are not just any old knock -off, NO! These are the truly infamous ones that you've heard all the woeful tales about.  The clandestine oriental deals, the black mail, the retaliation, the horror of negative feedback  :o

Become the end of this internet legend and own one of THESE <insert picture>

You know you'll regret it if you don't win this, there are no second chances.  You've followed the drama, now's your chance to be part of it.
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: March 26, 2010, 10:18:28 PM

Description:  Yes these are the real deal!  These are not just any old knock -off, NO! These are the truly infamous ones that you've heard all the woeful tales about.  The clandestine oriental deals, the black mail, the retaliation, the horror of negative feedback  :o

You know you'll regret it if you don't win this, there are no second chances.  You've followed the drama, now's your chance to be part of it.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

-Dylan Thomas

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #72 on: March 26, 2010, 10:25:27 PM

Neil's on the sauce again ::) :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #73 on: March 26, 2010, 10:26:28 PM
Just a slight headache actually  :twak:
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #74 on: March 26, 2010, 10:30:54 PM
Just a slight headache actually  :twak:
So have I now >:( :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #75 on: March 26, 2010, 10:37:46 PM
Mine is a real Lansky. I checked Lansky’s official site when I bought it and it matched.

That tool is generic. All those examples are basically the same tool made by the same factory, with different cosmetics specific to the buyer.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: March 26, 2010, 10:40:27 PM
You've followed the drama, now's your chance to be part of it.[/center]

Damn...that is killing me! :rofl:

-Dylan Thomas

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #77 on: March 26, 2010, 11:29:43 PM
Mine is a real Lansky. I checked Lansky’s official site when I bought it and it matched.

That tool is generic. All those examples are basically the same tool made by the same factory, with different cosmetics specific to the buyer.

also the fasteners used on the tools next to the Lansky look very much like the one used on the "fake" Gerber

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #78 on: March 26, 2010, 11:53:37 PM
That is because that middle one is what the seller is selling as a Gerber...which it isn't. I bought that one somewhere in town for a song and a dance. It wasn't pretending to be anything other then what it is. The Lansky is real, and was in the right packaging and all. I got that one from the local gun shop. The other is another version of the same tool. It is a very common type of tool that can be found with plenty of cosmetic variations. The tools inside of these are all the same though.

That seller is using the middle cheap tool and trying to tell people it is a Gerber. If you don't know what your looking for, some unsuspecting person might think it is a Suspension or some other like shaped Gerber.

Seeing that eBay hasn't done anything to this guy, it looks like they are quite happy in getting their fees from him above making the um....er...."eBay experience" a safe one for buyers.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 11:57:21 PM by Chako »

• No Life Club
Reply #79 on: March 27, 2010, 12:07:06 AM
That is because that middle one is what the seller is selling as a Gerber...which it isn't. I bought that one somewhere in town for a song and a dance. It wasn't pretending to be anything other then what it is. The Lansky is real, and was in the right packaging and all. I got that one from the local gun shop. The other is another version of the same tool. It is a very common type of tool that can be found with plenty of cosmetic variations. The tools inside of these are all the same though.

That seller is using the middle cheap tool and trying to tell people it is a Gerber. If you don't know what your looking for, some unsuspecting person might think it is a Suspension or some other like shaped Gerber.

Seeing that eBay hasn't done anything to this guy, it looks like they are quite happy in getting their fees from him above making the um....er...."eBay experience" a safe one for buyers.

That just goes against my principles.  Bugs the hell out of me.

-Dylan Thomas

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #80 on: March 27, 2010, 12:15:31 AM

Someone should compare the "fake" 600 to that model

Like i said, if this was a "counterfeit," someone went thru a lot of trouble and expense to make the tooling necessary to make a pretty close facsimile. Which doesnt make a whole lot of business sense, because Ebay is one of the few venues where a seller could get away with passing this off as the real thing.

This is highly likely an example of why you have to really watch what is happening with overseas production.  It can happen with any outsourced production, but overseas where you are not there watching, it can really show up.  There have been companies ruined by the clones that rolled off of unsupervised lines.  They transferred the technology and were transferred out of business.

It is just too easy when there is no one around to walk the product out of the back door.  If nothing happens then it just gets worse until you see your product sitting at half price next to your official one.  Then they say sorry and go on to the next sucker.

This is not a Xenophopic chant, I have seen good stuff done off shore or by contract, honestly, but usually to get it, you pay a premium to get it, have your people there and on a first name basis with the company, and/or own the plant.  When outsourcing, it is very much buyer beware and requires more effort than most companies realize.  It is not just the MBA attitude, lets get of that troublesome, dirty plant and rake in the dough, it is harder work wth the travel as running that dirty, troublesome plant or you end up in a process that starts with Chapter and ends with 11 or 7.

My vote goes for this one walked out the back door.

Great observations.

IF i were a betting man, i would put my money on either a current (or former) Gerber component supplier.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #81 on: March 27, 2010, 12:58:34 AM
That is an MP400, which is smaller than the MP600 line. Comparing the fake 600 D.E.T. to a smaller tool makes no sense when the fake is the same size as the real 600.

I do agree with you tough, someone went to a lot of trouble in copying the real Gerber. My only guess is that the real one is close to 100 US on eBay, and someone along the way felt bad about selling them for that price and making a huge profit, and started to sell them for under 30 bucks.

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #82 on: March 27, 2010, 01:00:33 AM
Mine showed up today.  Couple pics beside the real one..
(Image removed from quote.)

See I am not a complete fool , bloody close copy  :( :( :(.
I would be keen to hear from Gerber about this , surely they used some Gerber parts to make this copy.  :think: :think: :think:
Like Multitaskertools  says, those fasteners on the Fake scream Gerber.
Supplier gone rouge maybe we wont hear from Gerber  :think: :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #83 on: March 27, 2010, 01:10:38 AM
Different plier head mold though. And different handle stamping dies. And different blades. And different slide lock releases.

Does it seem likely that the supplier of genuine Gerber screws would go out and purchase ALL of the other tooling necessary to produce all the other components? :think: I wouldn't think so. :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #84 on: March 27, 2010, 01:17:52 AM
That is an MP400, which is smaller than the MP600 line. Comparing the fake 600 D.E.T. to a smaller tool makes no sense when the fake is the same size as the real 600.

you miss my point; I'm saying the components on the "fake" 600 look like they're made by the same place that makes the mp400

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #85 on: March 27, 2010, 01:18:49 AM
Different plier head mold though. And different handle stamping dies. And different blades. And different slide lock releases.

OK one thing is clear than , I am a complete fool  :D :D :D :D :D :D :( :P

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #86 on: March 27, 2010, 01:25:16 AM
No they aren't. The tools have subtle differences, even to the genuine MP 600. There is a slight difference in shapes, etc. Definitely in thickness. They are thinner than any Geber tool found on the 400/600 line.

MultiMat, if you look closely on yours, you will also note that the fasteners are not exact either. Bloody close, but they do not match my other MP 600s.

Yeah, it is a good fake. Surprisingly well made at that considering its lack of a pedigree.

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: March 27, 2010, 01:29:36 AM
No they aren't. The tools have subtle differences, even to the genuine MP 600. There is a slight difference in shapes, etc. Definitely in thickness. They are thinner than any Geber tool found on the 400/600 line.

MultiMat, if you look closely on yours, you will also note that the fasteners are not exact either. Bloody close, but they do not match my other MP 600s.

Yeah, it is a good fake. Surprisingly well made at that considering its lack of a pedigree.

Agreed.  Everything is close. But nothing is exactly the same.
Dennis

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #88 on: March 27, 2010, 01:33:24 AM

Agreed.  Everything is close. But nothing is exactly the same.

Sure seems like a lot of work for how few they'll actually be able to sell :think:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #89 on: March 27, 2010, 01:52:05 AM

OK one thing is clear than , I am a complete fool  :D :D :D :D :D :D :( :P
Finally something we can all agree on :shrug:                                                                                          :D

Dennis

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD