Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The SwissTool owners club

Pacu · 584 · 83551

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Re: The SwissTool owners club
Reply #450 on: September 27, 2017, 05:17:06 AM
Hi guys. Just a quick question: can I use the SwissTool's Drive Extension for my Leatherman Charge?

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #451 on: September 27, 2017, 06:48:11 AM
Hi guys. Just a quick question: can I use the SwissTool's Drive Extension for my Leatherman Charge?
I'm sad to say I don't think it would work.  I can't confirm this as I don't have a Charge but Leatherman uses a bit extension that is designed to fit into their bit holder with the flatened sides. It works great that way and the knerling on its shaft makes it almost a stand alone tool.
The Victorinox drive is a standard 1/4" hex and would not fit into Leatherman's bit holder.  The Leatherman Bit extender can be used with the Victorinox ratchet or breakover though I would not advise it because there is a lot of play (slop) due to the flatened sides.
Hope this helps.
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #452 on: September 27, 2017, 07:54:14 AM
I'm sad to say I don't think it would work.  I can't confirm this as I don't have a Charge but Leatherman uses a bit extension that is designed to fit into their bit holder with the flatened sides. It works great that way and the knerling on its shaft makes it almost a stand alone tool.
The Victorinox drive is a standard 1/4" hex and would not fit into Leatherman's bit holder.  The Leatherman Bit extender can be used with the Victorinox ratchet or breakover though I would not advise it because there is a lot of play (slop) due to the flatened sides.
Hope this helps.
Extremely helps. The Vic extender is cheaper than Leatherman's so I asked.

Oh, well.

Thanks, Douglas!

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #453 on: September 27, 2017, 08:21:22 AM
I think Douglas is right...  :think: :salute:

The main problem you face when you mix LM and standard 1/4" bits is that the LM standard has beeen derived from 1/4" by flattening the sides, so from an original hexagonal profile (six sides, six corners) LM has made a profile which has only two of the original corners left, the four others and most of the adjoining faces having fallen prey to the flattening. In addition, to compensate (as it were) and to enable reversible bits, the LM bits have a longer shaft (insertion) length.
The thick end of the LM bit extender tries to take the best of two worlds. It has the 1/4" standard profile but the LM shaft length.

This means:
- LM bits and the thin end of the LM bit extender fit in the LM bit holder fine, same profile and shaft length.
- LM bits and the thin end of the LM bit extender do fit in a 1/4" bit holder or extender (i.e. the Victorinox 1/4" bit holder or ratchet), however use only two of the corners and less shaft length than they are made for -> not a nice fit and not one I would trust with a lot of torque. Usable in a pinch though, but expect damage if overtorqued.
- Standard 1/4" bits and the thin end of a 1/4" standard bit extender do not fit in the LM bit holder (obviously; wrong profile)
- LM bits and the thin end of the LM bit extender do fit into the the thick end of the LM bit extender. This is a bit of a compromise that LM has entered. The fact that only two of the corners are used for support is somewhat compensated for by the longer (LM) shaft length, although again I'd say the transferrable torque is somewhat limited with respect to standard 1/4".
- Standard 1/4" bits or the thin end of a 1/4" standard bit extender do fit in the thick end of the LM bit extender but go in too deep due to the longer (LM) shaft length needing to be accommodated. (Some people insert a few 1/4" nuts to prevent this.)

Note: there's also the Victorinox 4mm mini-bit standard, however this is excluded from the above.

Edit: I see an0nemus has already responded - hope this still helps.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 09:17:13 AM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #454 on: September 27, 2017, 02:55:00 PM

The main problem you face when you mix LM and standard 1/4" bits is that the LM standard has beeen derived from 1/4" by flattening the sides, so from an original hexagonal profile (six sides, six corners) LM has made a profile which has only two of the original corners left, the four others and most of the adjoining faces having fallen prey to the flattening. In addition, to compensate (as it were) and to enable reversible bits, the LM bits have a longer shaft (insertion) length.
The thick end of the LM bit extender tries to take the best of two worlds. It has the 1/4" standard profile but the LM shaft length.

This means:
- LM bits and the thin end of the LM bit extender fit in the LM bit holder fine, same profile and shaft length.
- LM bits and the thin end of the LM bit extender do fit in a 1/4" bit holder or extender (i.e. the Victorinox 1/4" bit holder or ratchet), however use only two of the corners and less shaft length than they are made for -> not a nice fit and not one I would trust with a lot of torque. Usable in a pinch though, but expect damage if overtorqued.
- Standard 1/4" bits and the thin end of a 1/4" standard bit extender do not fit in the LM bit holder (obviously; wrong profile)
- LM bits and the thin end of the LM bit extender do fit into the the thick end of the LM bit extender. This is a bit of a compromise that LM has entered. The fact that only two of the corners are used for support is somewhat compensated for by the longer (LM) shaft length, although again I'd say the transferrable torque is somewhat limited with respect to standard 1/4".
- Standard 1/4" bits or the thin end of a 1/4" standard bit extender do fit in the thick end of the LM bit extender but go in too deep due to the longer (LM) shaft length needing to be accommodated. (Some people insert a few 1/4" nuts to prevent this.)

Note: there's also the Victorinox 4mm mini-bit standard, however this is excluded from the above.

Thanks for expounding Dutch_Tooler. Its hard for me to fully comprehend by text so I also searched for image of both extenders and found this. Now I completely understand what you and Douglas said.

One on left is for Leatherman, one on right is for SAK

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #455 on: September 27, 2017, 04:04:00 PM

This means:

Thanks for expounding Dutch_Tooler. Its hard for me to fully comprehend by text so I also searched for image of both extenders and found this. Now I completely understand what you and Douglas said.

(Image removed from quote.)

You are exactly correct.  I too have seen that set up in some of my searches. I wonder how it worked out as an EDC and if it's still in use how much has it changed?
Good research.
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #456 on: September 27, 2017, 04:10:32 PM

This means:

(Image removed from quote.)

You are exactly correct.  I too have seen that set up in some of my searches. I wonder how it worked out as an EDC and if it's still in use how much has it changed?
Good research.

I stumbled upon it when I searched for the 4mm mini-bit standard mentioned by DT.

This guy is something! He's still actively posting.

https://ak-adventurer.net/category/tools-bit-kit/

I'm inpired by this tool sets  :tu:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 04:13:23 PM by an0nemus »

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #457 on: October 07, 2017, 05:21:13 PM

Sent on my SM-G930F with Tapatalk

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #458 on: October 07, 2017, 08:19:33 PM
Beautiful pic DT!!
Barry

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #459 on: October 08, 2017, 12:02:22 AM
Beautiful pic DT!!

Sent on my SM-G930F with Tapatalk

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline michaeljuan

Reply #460 on: October 18, 2017, 03:38:35 AM
I was going to  send my friend a link to the victorinox page for the swisstool and i can't find it anymore. Did they discontinue the non black version of the scissorless swisstool?
Victorinox: Swisstool, Manager
Leatherman: Wingman
Gerber: Shard
County Comm: Pocket Widgy

and more to come

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #461 on: October 18, 2017, 04:41:25 AM
:like: Great pic Poncho!!

Thanks Barry :hatsoff: I somehow missed this way back then :ahhh

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #462 on: January 03, 2018, 05:32:05 AM
[/url]1-2-18-5 by VaDimZH, on Flickr

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #463 on: January 06, 2018, 12:08:38 AM
[/url]1-5-18-2 by VaDimZH, on Flickr

[/url]1-5-18-3 by VaDimZH, on Flickr

[/url]1-5-18-1 by VaDimZH, on Flickr
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 12:27:29 AM by Vadim »

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #464 on: January 06, 2018, 05:39:10 AM
 :like: :like: :tu: :tu:
Barry

at Offline Peter1960

Reply #465 on: January 06, 2018, 07:34:36 AM
Excelllent pictures Vadim!  :tu:

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #466 on: January 06, 2018, 09:42:36 AM
Thank you so much!

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #467 on: January 07, 2018, 01:56:26 AM
wow , those pics are top shelf.  :o :o
:like:    :MTO:

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #468 on: January 07, 2018, 09:32:06 AM
G'Day,

I am now a part of the club too. I received an Ozzie Military BO version from a friend a few weeks ago. It was a total surprise to me and I must say I am rather impressed with the tool. It needed a good clean and a trip to the sharpening station, but it is now ready for more years of good service. I will get a leather pouch for it made in the near future. Currently it has the standard nylon sheath sans the SAK emblem. This is my first SwissTool and most likely not my last...

Cheers,

Pete
IMGP4429.JPG
* IMGP4429.JPG (Filesize: 116.2 KB)
IMGP4424.JPG
* IMGP4424.JPG (Filesize: 105.72 KB)
IMGP4421.JPG
* IMGP4421.JPG (Filesize: 115.46 KB)
IMGP4425.JPG
* IMGP4425.JPG (Filesize: 107.99 KB)

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #469 on: January 08, 2018, 01:48:28 AM

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #470 on: January 08, 2018, 02:23:44 AM
Excellent pics Vadim and pieter :like: :like:

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #471 on: January 08, 2018, 02:32:17 AM
hank you Poncho!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #472 on: January 08, 2018, 04:49:48 AM
They really are incredible Pietervn!  Vadim, gorgeous pic again!!
Barry

us Offline redmond

Reply #473 on: April 07, 2018, 03:57:48 PM
Thanks to Member this_is_nascar I have added a Standard SwissTool  to my multitool family:

Just enough honest wear to make it look well loved.
Greg
LM: PST II, Crunch (x2), Squirt, Micra, Skeletool, Rebar, Wave
SAK: Executive, Classic, Compact, Farmer, Fieldmaster, Huntsman, Explorer, SwissChamp, Climber, Camper, Pioneer, Pioneer X, Money Clip, Minichamp, Cadet, Super Tinker, Bijou, Excelsior, Swisstool, Wenger SGT Shortix  Plus, Traveler, Evo S18
 Gerber: Mr. Pinchy, MP600

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #474 on: April 07, 2018, 06:33:05 PM
Awesome!!! :like: :like:
Barry

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #475 on: April 07, 2018, 06:52:07 PM
Awesome!!! :like: :like:

+1 great looking kit there Redmond

I recently picked this RS up and I'm not going to apologise for posting the pic.

The SwissTool is an excellent tool though I'm interested to compare that with Leathernan
IMG_0544.jpg
* IMG_0544.jpg (Filesize: 404.45 KB)
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #476 on: April 07, 2018, 07:00:23 PM
I have both, Bill, and the difference is in the feel of the Swisstool.  It's almost like the difference between a custom knife vs a production model.   I love them both and both have their advantages, but the Swisstool feels like it's forged out of solid stainless.
Barry

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #477 on: April 07, 2018, 08:37:16 PM
I have both, Bill, and the difference is in the feel of the Swisstool.  It's almost like the difference between a custom knife vs a production model.   I love them both and both have their advantages, but the Swisstool feels like it's forged out of solid stainless.

Thanks Barry I've just picked up a Wave out of just this curiosity and my first impression is exactly as you describe. For all their similarities they're quite different beasts.
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #478 on: July 08, 2018, 12:11:22 PM
G'Day,

A year or so ago a good friend gifted me an Aussie Army BO Swisstool. I like it a lot!!! Being a lefty I found the blade position perfect for my daily food prep uses. Much better that my trusty LM Tools. The tool also started to grow on me. The quality and the Vic "snap" is one to experience. I also got one of our inmates Gohard to make me a leather sheath for it. I carried it for a while and started reading up on the different models available... A very slippery slope indeed. I saw the lovely shiney ones, the ones with a scissors and the different plier-heads. Oh my so many choices... Then one day I was browsing a famous selling site and saw these two beauties in Oz. Needles to say I had to rescue them from the shop. All that I could see in the pictures where a description of the tool and a box. I took the plunge and got a standard version and a week later the X model... These versions are the older ones with the "smaller" plier head. I must admit I prefer this one to the current one. And being left handed I should not have a problem with it - I hope. Seriously these are lovely tools.

The BO tool has got a lot of sentimental value and I did not want to keep using it and back in its sheath it went. Another leather sheath later (thanks Gohard) and I now have two beautiful black leather sheaths for two fantastic tools. I find that I use it more and more.

Enjoy the pics and a big thank you to Gohard, your work is FANTASTIC.

Pete

IMGP5970.JPG
* IMGP5970.JPG (Filesize: 179.02 KB)
IMGP5975.JPG
* IMGP5975.JPG (Filesize: 194.9 KB)
IMGP5973.JPG
* IMGP5973.JPG (Filesize: 198.49 KB)
IMGP5976.JPG
* IMGP5976.JPG (Filesize: 199.3 KB)

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club