Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tanto Blade Multitool

Viper · 19 · 3322

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Tanto Blade Multitool
on: July 20, 2007, 05:48:51 PM
Tanto is my favorite blade style, but it seems to be the only style that multitools don't use. Lately I've started just carrying around a CRKT K.I.S.S in my pocket, along with my multitool, but I would much rather have it all in one. So please tell me if you find a multitool with a tanto blade.
Also, when searching for a tanto bladed multitool (I never found one) I came across a KA-BAR folding knife called the Mule, and I'm going to get one with a tanto blade (rather than the standard clip point).

Also, I guess if nothing else, you can post your favorite blade style here, because that's what a lot of you would do anyway.
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Tanto Blade Multitool
Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 06:18:09 PM
A tanto blade isn't overly functional for most tasks.  Adequate yes, but it is a weapon styled point, not a utility point.  Multitools aren't really good for combat, nor are they designed for piercing, so why put a tanto point on one?  In addition, with the American styled tanto made famous by Cold Steel, the leading edge can be and often is sharpened seperately from the main edge, meaning there is twice as much maintenance on a tanto versus a more traditional point style.

I like a spear or drop point blade best- it retains most of the thickness right to the point and keeps the point safely within the body of the tool without having to sink the whole thing in like you would have to do with a tanto point.  I also like a nice sheepsfoot on a multitool for those times when you have to cut something without damaging whatever is underneath, whether it be dramatic like a car accident rescue or mundane like removing the strap off a bunch of newspapers or catalogues.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 06:54:44 PM
I find the tanto point useful for many things besides combat.

Every time I hear something about multitools for self defence, I think of the time my sister's friend saw my XLT, and said "That's stupid, the best you could do is throw it at someone."
[

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 08:05:59 PM
I find the tanto point useful for many things besides combat.

Every time I hear something about multitools for self defence, I think of the time my sister's friend saw my XLT, and said "That's stupid, the best you could do is throw it at someone."
;D ;D ;D

like it,

I had a cs tanto which i eventualy sold as i never used it so i,d be interested to know what you use a tanto blade for, as i found them to compromised for any of the cutting/slicing i was doing?
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 10:41:36 PM
Among other things, I thing the angle where the main blade turns and goes to the point is useful for cutting boxes, especially the tape, which is the most common thing I use a knife for at my job. The only other thing that I use a knife for frequently, is fishing, and in most fishing tasks, (cutting line, etc.) the type of blade doesn't really matter.
[

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 11:31:18 PM
ok thanks mate
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 05:21:41 AM
I don't know of any Tanto-equipped multitools.

Recently I've come to favor a Wharnecliffe blade for a number of reasons. The knife on the Gerber Diesel is a good example. (except that I do not care for the serrations on it.)

* Diesel blade.jpg (Filesize: 41.87 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 07:19:25 AM
Yeah, I'm getting a Deisel soon too. I was searching for a tanto bladed multi-tool, and my spirits were lifted when I found one, but quickly sank when I saw that it was a Diesel, and some idiot said it had a tanto blade.

BTW, here is the KABAR that I ordered.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-48913491780057_1956_100810210
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 07:21:24 AM by Viper »
[

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 01:27:30 PM
Recently I've come to favor a Wharnecliffe blade for a number of reasons. The knife on the Gerber Diesel is a good example. (except that I do not care for the serrations on it.)

I agree.

Since getting the Gerber Suspension, I've come to appreciate having a Wharncliffe plain edge and a sheepsfoot serrated edge.  They could be a little longer, but they are quite useful as is.

I think a Wharncliffe is a great blade choice for a general utility knife.

I'd love to have a folding knife with pocket clip and two three-inch locking blades:  a Wharncliffe plain edge and a sheepsfoot serrated.  Anyone know of a knife like that?

N

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 04:31:14 PM
That's a cool knife Viper.

Maybe Leatherman will come out with some diffrent blade designs for their folding knife series...
[

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 04:14:25 PM
I go against popular belief.  Dont get me wrong Spearpoints are the best all around blade style for anything anyone would ever want to do.  However, the tanto blade design (especially the chisel ground type) has a major advantage.  That advantage is sharpenabaility.  Most Tanto blades have little or no blade curvature (at least the ones on most of my tanto bladed folders).  It would be hard to properly butcher a deer with one but you definately would only be a few seconds from making a blade razor sharp to cut some meat if you had to.  They are virtually "idiot proof" in the sharpening department.  I would like to see leatherman introduce a tanto blade to their tools.  I know that Victorinox never will.     

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 10:16:26 PM
Yeah, I was surprised when Victorinox had a clip point on the WorkChamp XL, I think that's the only time they trailed away from the drop point, withthe exception of their gardening tools and cooking knives (I don't consider those multitools).
[

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 10:25:37 PM
Here's a question that has a few answers depending on who you ask:  Wherre did the tanto blade originate and for what purpose?  I've heard two diffrent stories..lets see if either show up here ;D
[

Offline joebw

Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 01:01:11 AM
Hi CQC-7,

I agree with you on sharpening the Tanto blade.  However the Wharnecliffe blade has the same attribute and is a more conventional (sheeple-friendly) style.

Use what you like.  There has to be variety if we are to really be multi-tool folks.

;) Joe

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 02:30:39 AM
It's based off of the Japanese Katana and Wakizashi blades, and is known as the "Americanized Tanto Blade".
Brought to the west by a knife company.... Cold Steel, I think.
[

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 04:37:19 AM
That's what I've heard...if a full size sword was broken, it was modded into a tanto style blade. 
[

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #16 on: July 23, 2007, 06:32:59 AM
I really do not know the origin of the tanto blade.  I believe that The tanto and wharncliffe blade are very utilitarian in their shape.  Can you skin an elk with em, yes, but is it the best tool for the job, no.  To me the tanto blade is a "working blade" and it serves as the best choice for a "working knife."  By this I mean that it is good for anything that you would use a knife for on a day to day basis when you may encounter several tasks requiring a cut.  Because of its use it requires sharpening often if you have to take a lot of time to sharpen you lose time, and time is money especially when you depend on your tools to come through for you.  I know many butchers that use a fillet knife almost exclusively for their tasks.  It is good for everything a butcher needs to do with a knife outside of skinning a carcass and it can even be used for that.  I also believe that it comes down to what you are comfortable with.  I like tanto blades.  I carry a CQC-7 almost everyday.  A few seconds after I think that it is dull it is splitting hairs again.  Another blade shape takes more time and care to sharpen properly.  If I am hunting I carry a spearpoint blade or skinning blade because it is a specialized tool made for that task.  But for EDC a tanto is a great blade style.  It handles what I need to do.  If I think I need a specialized tool I probaly have it with me.     

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 07:52:14 AM
It also depends on the type of steel the company uses.
[

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 04:52:07 PM
I agree with that.  I am very liberal in what I like in a utility blade when the discussion turns to steel.  I like the "wondersteels," but I also like carbon steel as well.  If anything, I dont like the middle of the road steel.  You can have that 440, 420, etc, although I have many knives made of that steel that I like.  I guess that you cannot have everything that you want.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95
PayPal Fees: $4.26
Net Balance: $77.69
Below Goal: $222.31
Site Currency: USD
26%