Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Main Difference Between Europe And The USA

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: The Main Difference Between Europe And The USA
Reply #60 on: March 29, 2010, 10:49:04 PM
You know ,if you read my posts, that I love UK :)
just joking too :)

(when you're visiting, feel free to tell me and ask for a tour of florence. i can't host, but... :))

(how could someone destroy a zippo without some kind of machinery?)

Haha. They made me remove the cotton wool from the inside of the Zippo  ::) Apparently it's a security risk, even though you could buy those plastic Bic lighters after going through the security checkpoint  :think:

They (with Typical German efficiency) even had a little, white box, with a lock and ACHTUNG stickers all over it, containing the "lighter destroying kit" :D When I said they couldn't confiscate it, out came the box, complete with tweezers to remove the wadding - the box was full of petrol soaked wadding from other unlucky travellers. If I hadn't have been so annoyed, I'd have been laughing out loud.

Still at least noone was able to hijack my plane with a Zippo, so I go home safely ;)

PS: Florence is definitely on my list of places to visit :tu:

I have said this before,

If I could speak enough Italian to find meaningful work in Toscana, I would move TODAY.  It is one of the only places I have ever been where I felt like I was "home".  Absolutely beautiful.  I think of it regularly and want to return there soon. Sardauker, you're a lucky man.  :salute:

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #61 on: March 29, 2010, 10:50:25 PM
we have Lance :D

:like:    :MTO:

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: March 29, 2010, 10:51:39 PM
Bout time someone picked on N. America , we are always slagging off the Brits . BTW , pirates are way cooler than Ninjas , they get all the wenches .

Chris

it Offline sardauker

• Just arrived
Reply #63 on: March 29, 2010, 10:52:40 PM
You know ,if you read my posts, that I love UK :)
just joking too :)

(when you're visiting, feel free to tell me and ask for a tour of florence. i can't host, but... :))

(how could someone destroy a zippo without some kind of machinery?)

Haha. They made me remove the cotton wool from the inside of the Zippo  ::) Apparently it's a security risk, even though you could buy those plastic Bic lighters after going through the security checkpoint  :think:

They (with Typical German efficiency) even had a little, white box, with a lock and ACHTUNG stickers all over it, containing the "lighter destroying kit" :D When I said they couldn't confiscate it, out came the box, complete with tweezers to remove the wadding - the box was full of petrol soaked wadding from other unlucky travellers. If I hadn't have been so annoyed, I'd have been laughing out loud.

Still at least noone was able to hijack my plane with a Zippo, so I go home safely ;)

PS: Florence is definitely on my list of places to visit :tu:

I have said this before,

If I could speak enough Italian to find meaningful work in Toscana, I would move TODAY.  It is one of the only places I have ever been where I felt like I was "home".  Absolutely beautiful.  I think of it regularly and want to return there soon. Sardauker, you're a lucky man.  :salute:

I think the same about the most of you and your countries.
what about neighbour's grass?

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #64 on: March 29, 2010, 10:56:34 PM
I just think it would neat to visit a country whose history is so much older than the US.  I love historical places: the big touristy places but mainly the little out of the way places that isn't on some kind of travel brochure.  I would love to just go explore some different places and one of these days maybe I'll get so see some of them.  :)

You want to get yourself to Greece or Italy then. There are older remains and ruins around the world of course, but with the Ancient Greek or Roman history you get the complete story and sense of just how insignificant each of us actually is....

We're all just a brief blip in an awful lot of history. Plus, the food, sun and women are quite acceptable too :D
I used to come here a lot.

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #65 on: March 29, 2010, 11:07:25 PM
I just think it would neat to visit a country whose history is so much older than the US.  I love historical places: the big touristy places but mainly the little out of the way places that isn't on some kind of travel brochure.  I would love to just go explore some different places and one of these days maybe I'll get so see some of them.  :)

You want to get yourself to Greece or Italy then. There are older remains and ruins around the world of course, but with the Ancient Greek or Roman history you get the complete story and sense of just how insignificant each of us actually is....

We're all just a brief blip in an awful lot of history. Plus, the food, sun and women are quite acceptable too :D
Greece is at the tip top of places of I want to go.  Oh, if it's even a fraction as beautiful in person as it is in picture I'd be a very very happy woman. 
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: March 29, 2010, 11:11:15 PM
I've never been to the US. Inevitably, I think my work will take me there before long, many of my colleagues have started travelling out there, but tomorrow I'm working on a proposal for a project in South East Asia  :o

Will you be heading out yourself Dave?

I stay away from home with work a few nights a month  :-\ At first it was a great novelty but it wears off quite quickly  ::) Then again I'm normally only ever as far as Manchester  :ahhh

Went to Belgium for a week once; that was fun  :tu: :cheers:

us Offline Pacu

Reply #67 on: March 29, 2010, 11:13:53 PM
Austrailia is my favourite part of Europe...next to Chile and Rhodesia.  ::)

Seriously though i might get over to England this year building Best Buys....or China, Turkey and Mexico

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #68 on: March 29, 2010, 11:17:08 PM

Greece is at the tip top of places of I want to go.  Oh, if it's even a fraction as beautiful in person as it is in picture I'd be a very very happy woman. 

This is my favourite photograph from a holiday on the Greek island of Thassos a few years ago. It's still relatively unspoiled by tourism (for now at least), and is a thoroughly beautiful place :)

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #69 on: March 29, 2010, 11:22:17 PM
I've never been to the US. Inevitably, I think my work will take me there before long, many of my colleagues have started travelling out there, but tomorrow I'm working on a proposal for a project in South East Asia  :o

Will you be heading out yourself Dave?

I stay away from home with work a few nights a month  :-\ At first it was a great novelty but it wears off quite quickly  ::) Then again I'm normally only ever as far as Manchester  :ahhh

Went to Belgium for a week once; that was fun  :tu: :cheers:

More than likely on my own. I don't mind the travel so much any more, as I get a lot of say in whether I do or not! 15 years ago, I went where I was sent. I've had apartments in Holland, France, Italy, Spain, Austria - I think that's it! Projects varying between 6 months and two years.

I changed jobs about 10 years ago, because I was missing my kids growing up, and I'm so glad I did. These days they don't even notice I'm missing so I can follow the better paying jobs again without recrimination or guilt :D

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: March 29, 2010, 11:28:24 PM
That sounds pretty cool  :tu: I know what you mean about missing the kids growing up though  :-\

If you need someone to carry your bags let me know  :pok: I can be paid in Leathermans; you have enough to employ me for a long time :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #71 on: March 29, 2010, 11:37:27 PM
That sounds pretty cool  :tu: I know what you mean about missing the kids growing up though  :-\

If you need someone to carry your bags let me know  :pok: I can be paid in Leathermans; you have enough to employ me for a long time :D

Trust me, there's no glamour in the way we travel. Cheapest available flight every time. Use public transport instead of Taxis wherever possible. Cheapest hotels etc.....  Nobody ever believes you when you tell them this, but the actual getting to where you're going bit is not much fun at all. In fact I hate it.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #72 on: March 29, 2010, 11:39:35 PM
Austrailia is my favourite part of Europe...next to Chile and Rhodesia.  ::)

Seriously though i might get over to England this year building Best Buys....or China, Turkey and Mexico

Well let us know if you make it across, you're almost certain to be near one of us. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline BlueDot

Reply #73 on: March 30, 2010, 04:38:27 AM

I've traveled around enough to know that there are good and bad people everywhere.  Having said that, some of my best memories in Europe are from traveling in Italy (history), Spain (relaxing, friendly people), and Germany & England (most everything).  
Would love to visit New Zealand still.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 04:40:25 AM by BlueDot »
There are just 10 types of people in the world:  those who understand binary number systems, and those who don't

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #74 on: March 30, 2010, 08:57:39 PM
Pirates? Ninjas?

VIKINGS!!!! :viking:
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #75 on: March 30, 2010, 09:35:09 PM
Pirates? Ninjas?

Danish Vikings of course...

Holger Danske..

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: March 30, 2010, 10:04:13 PM
Vikings were world class party animals , back in the day . but now you guys are a bit overgoverned . I kinda wish you guys still owned Northern England and Scotland .

Chris

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #77 on: March 30, 2010, 10:23:28 PM
I'm decended from Viking's so they get my vote too :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: March 30, 2010, 10:30:05 PM
I'm of nominal scottish extraction , but tall and blonde , so I must have some in me too . Typical Celts are short , ugly , and got hair like bog brushes .

Chris

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #79 on: March 30, 2010, 10:34:15 PM
Pirates? Ninjas?

Danish Vikings of course...

(Image removed from quote.)

Holger Danske..

Danish,Norwegian.....Potato, patato....We both kicked some butt and partied like it was 1999
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #80 on: March 30, 2010, 10:35:44 PM
I'm of nominal scottish extraction , but tall and blonde , so I must have some in me too . Typical Celts are short , ugly , and got hair like bog brushes .

Chris
:rofl: :rofl:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #81 on: March 30, 2010, 10:52:04 PM

Chris

So you've seen pictures of me then?  Damn my celtic blood!  :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #82 on: March 30, 2010, 11:54:16 PM

Chris

Depends which part of Scotland your family came from.  The Vikings did colonise bits and pieces, Islands mostly I believe, Shetland most famously but also the Orkney's and Hebrides.   

BTW can I point out that Vikings could easily be considered Pirates? :D

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #83 on: March 31, 2010, 02:07:58 AM

Chris

Depends which part of Scotland your family came from.  The Vikings did colonise bits and pieces, Islands mostly I believe, Shetland most famously but also the Orkney's and Hebrides.   

BTW can I point out that Vikings could easily be considered Pirates? :D

Oooh!

Strong point!  Berserker Pirates!  I might be persuaded to change my opinion... :think:

...and of course, British Ninjas most likely descended from the conquering Normans, which were basically Vikings too, so there you have it. :-\

us Offline BlueDot

Reply #84 on: March 31, 2010, 02:59:58 AM

Europe or the USA?         ;)
There are just 10 types of people in the world:  those who understand binary number systems, and those who don't

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #85 on: March 31, 2010, 03:08:20 AM
I hope this isn't hijacking but, I just discovered that I'm a lot more like my UK brothers and sisters here than I thought.  I just got some updated info about my maternal grandfather's genealogy info which pretty much ends with Wales and my grandmother's family is apparently from Yorkshire.  Interesting.  :)   
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

Offline geoemt

Reply #86 on: March 31, 2010, 04:21:30 AM
 :rofl: Found this image, it has explicit language...sorry.

http://i.imgur.com/ZyVws.jpg
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 04:49:34 AM by Anthony »
<

us Offline Pacu

Reply #87 on: March 31, 2010, 04:31:59 AM
lol ;)

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #88 on: March 31, 2010, 04:44:04 AM
So I feel proud of the USA I don't see that as a problem in anyway

I the US should get half credit for Einstein :D

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #89 on: March 31, 2010, 09:38:03 AM
:rofl: Found this image, it has explicit language...sorry.

http://i.imgur.com/ZyVws.jpg

:D That sums it up rather well. :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%