Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone know anything about wireless wifi?

AJ · 6 · 1584

Offline AJ

Anyone know anything about wireless wifi?
on: July 24, 2007, 04:46:50 AM
I am on a laptop in the house with wifi connection.
The wireless router is connected to the desktop pc.

I have had this set up for a year or so now and every month or so we will not be able to make a connection online with ether computer, the pc or laptop.

What I end up having to do is to unplug the wifi box for 30 seconds or so and everything works ok again.

Today it's being a pain the the butt and we have to unplug it every couple hours to reset it.

Is my router going bad?
I have not tried the hard reset button on the back yet. I do have it set up so you need to enter numbers into the laptop to make a connection so the wifi is not just open to everyone and anyone that is close enough.

If I do the hard reset button on the back I may have to set that all up again, right?

Anyone else ever have this kind of trouble with there wifi?
[

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Re: Anyone know anything about wireless wifi?
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 06:24:26 AM
I had a problem somewhat like that.  With mine, it was that the router wouldn't obtain an IP address automatically. 

I would suggest checking your IP address settings.  What router do you have?
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline AJ

Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 06:31:31 AM
It's a Linksys -G 2.4 GHZ
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 01:32:52 PM
My guess is that it's a router problem since you have the same effect with both computers.  Is this a modem you own or one that you rent from your service provider?  Mine is from the service provider so I can replace it as often as I like! :P

If you own it then I don't suggest you be so cavalier in trying to replace it.  The only thing I can suggest is to try the hard reset button or contact Linksys customer service to see what they suggest.  Linksys is usually a pretty good name so there shouldn't be too many problems. 

You shouldn't have to worry about going through the setup process again.  The 26 digit number (mine is 26, yours may be different) that you have to enter to access the 'net through the modem shouldn't change if you reset it, so I'd say it's worth a try.

But then I have two out of three computers in pieces at the moment, so maybe I'm not the best guy to ask!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 03:17:26 PM
You can always try plugging the ethernet cable directly into the modem (bypassing the router) when this problem occurs.  That would tell you if it's the modem or the router.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline AJ

Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 12:36:04 AM
I hit the reset button on the back of the unit first thing this morning as it was not working again.
It has been working just fine all day today. :)

Hope that puts a end to the trouble for good.

Thanks.
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44