Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

mouse challenge

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
mouse challenge
on: May 12, 2019, 07:16:36 AM
I dare you to clean your computer mouse and not

Mine is about 8 years old and scroll wheel was not spinning good. After I took cover off and tapped the bottom while holding upside down, all manner of filth came out; Lint, dust, dirt, skin, paper, food, eyelashes, hair, eyebrows,,,,and still not working good.

Hit with air duster, toothpicks and after about 1 hour I managed to wedge out a small piece of paper along with more debris from the list and its working like a champ, but it should be in the trash....after seeing this I don't think I will touch another persons mouse without a bottle of hand sanitizer nearby. These things are gross  :rofl:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 07:33:03 AM by Blackbeard »
BB :B:

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Re: mouse challenge
Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 07:33:02 AM
Good lord man!!  I have taken two of mine apart in the past and never all that come out. Sure some dust but that was about it.

Now, at work, I looked into one of the keyboards once. They looked like your mouse!!  Nasty!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 07:39:31 AM
Good lord man!!  I have taken two of mine apart in the past and never all that come out. Sure some dust but that was about it.

Now, at work, I looked into one of the keyboards once. They looked like your mouse!!  Nasty!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was probably worse then it should have been due to age and never cleaning it before, but it's probably worth the money just to buy a new one

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 10:28:28 AM
I usually just replace mine every 3 years or so... something always starts acting up.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 10:37:50 AM
Usually I clean it whenever I was munching on something, and bits and pieces fell into the crack of the keyboard, that happens about every few months. :popcorn:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 10:40:38 AM
Clean it every now and again, never seen anything too terrible.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 10:44:17 AM
Actually since we stopped having balled mice and gone optical they seem to get less gunked up.

The good ole days of cleaning gunk off the rollers and washing the ball itself with dish soap...

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 11:16:26 AM
Actually since we stopped having balled mice and gone optical they seem to get less gunked up.

The good ole days of cleaning gunk off the rollers and washing the ball itself with dish soap...

I remembered that!  Balled mice does require more regular maintenance...I wonder how do people clean those big ball tracker mouse though.

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 12:53:02 PM
It was fun to take the ball out of a coworker's mouse without them knowing.  >:D
My modern adaptation is to tape over the sensor of an optical mouse.  :D

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 02:06:38 PM
It was fun to take the ball out of a coworker's mouse without them knowing.  >:D
My modern adaptation is to tape over the sensor of an optical mouse.  :D

Thank you, Syncop8r!   >:D >:D >:D

us Offline cody6268

Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 10:22:41 PM
Haven't had a trackball mouse since we got rid of the old HP Pavilion from 2002 about 4 years ago.

For me, the switch in the middle button always fails within a couple years or so. I went with MadCatz (seeing as after the company went bust, their products were being liquidated at pennies on the dollar), and I've not had an issue with my RAT 1s or RAT M, and have the added benefit of programmable buttons for whatever.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 12:25:02 PM
Haven't had a trackball mouse since we got rid of the old HP Pavilion from 2002 about 4 years ago.

For me, the switch in the middle button always fails within a couple years or so. I went with MadCatz (seeing as after the company went bust, their products were being liquidated at pennies on the dollar), and I've not had an issue with my RAT 1s or RAT M, and have the added benefit of programmable buttons for whatever.

Just FYI...

The R.A.T.s are back!

:D
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 08:45:52 AM
my patient had a serious relapse, so I was able to wedge the tracking wheel out, removed more clumps of paper, and 3 wads of what looked like fiberglass insulation...I don't know if they use this in the manufacturing/construction....I don't know what it is/was or if thats what your finger skin becomes in this gross dna dumpster  :rofl:

us Offline Pacu

Reply #13 on: June 14, 2019, 11:06:18 PM
Trackball !  I get Best Buy flashbacks whenever I see one. After years of being forced to use them then switching over to Apple's magic mouse... :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:   

I keep my Logitec wireless mouse and keyboard squeaky clean. I freak out and sanitize my desk area and declutter once a week. Seriously, I have Clorox wipes, swifters, and monitor wipes in a drawer by my tower.  ::) ::) :D :D
:like:    :MTO:

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #14 on: June 16, 2019, 12:30:00 PM
I dare you to clean your computer mouse and not (Image removed from quote.)

Mine is about 8 years old and scroll wheel was not spinning good. After I took cover off and tapped the bottom while holding upside down, all manner of filth came out; Lint, dust, dirt, skin, paper, food, eyelashes, hair, eyebrows,,,,and still not working gohad od.

Hit with air duster, toothpicks and after about 1 hour I managed to wedge out a small piece of paper along with more debris from the list and its working like a champ, but it should be in the trash....after seeing this I don't think I will touch another persons mouse without a bottle of hand sanitizer nearby. These things are gross  :rofl:
I just saw this!  :rofl:

I cleaned my wireless mouse out a couple of days ago. I was really surprised at what I extracted. Lots of cat hair, some of mine including a very long one all curled up (not a pube - in fact there were no pubes, honest, I swear :P), and a huge wad of lint, dust, and small bits of paper that filled the front around the scroll wheel click switches and had turned the mouse into an unpredictable maniac.
Rambler

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: June 16, 2019, 02:42:29 PM
I had a similar experience with the cheapo whose mousewheel died on my birthday a week ago, popping it apart showed me all sorts of filth that you couldn't tell existed from the outside. But alas it wasn't a fixable or worthwhile issue, so it's been replaced, and I didn't bother cleaning it.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #16 on: June 16, 2019, 09:44:03 PM
 :worthless:   :D

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 31, 2019, 09:28:18 AM
:worthless:   :D

:rofl: trust me you don't wanna see them.

On a slightly different note, does anyone have trouble left clicking links on MTO recently or is it just me and my decrepit mouse? I don't notice it on other sites, but here I find I have to click links more then once to get them to open  :think:

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 31, 2019, 09:57:51 AM
Keyboards, mice and mobile phones will spread the next plague  :salute:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #19 on: July 31, 2019, 10:58:55 AM
Keyboards, mice and mobile phones will spread the next plague  :salute:
You forgot bathroom door handles.  :to:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 31, 2019, 11:05:35 AM
You forgot bathroom door handles.  :to:

yeah after you wash your hands you have to grab that nasty thing to leave bathroom in a public place  :rofl:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%