Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ranger 75

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Ranger 75
on: July 24, 2007, 11:49:54 PM
Sorry if there's already a thread running on this tool, but I didn't see one in the Swiss Forums.

http://www.wengerna.com/browse/product.jsp?prod_id=11016&cat_id=1&cat_name=Knives&sub_cat_id=85

This looks to be functionally similar to the Buck X-Tract.

Anyone have one, or examined one?  Opinions?

N

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Ranger 75
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 12:14:19 AM
According to Tim (Felinevet) the NewRangers with the folding pliers are not yet available. I'm planning on buying one from him when he gets them in stock. In the mean time, I got anxious and bought a Wenger 172 Gardener. It is very much the same, except with big folding scissors instead of the pliers. I like it a lot!

Pictures and write up to follow...
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline zackhugh

Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 12:31:50 AM
Ooh, can't wait for your report!  Hey, did you notice that these folding pliers and scissors are like the ones on a lot of the inexpensive Chinese import tools?  They seem like a decent design that just needed improved materials and production methods. 

Wenger's really pressuring me these days with this one and the Alinghi!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 03:54:40 AM
Wenger 172 report is up.

I agree with you about that folding scissor/folding plier design. I see it on a bunch of cheaply made junk tools, but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the basic design. Wenger certainly does it up right.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 04:05:51 AM
I never worry about Wenger or Victorinox products being sub par.  I own literally hundreds of each, and have handled and seen many more, and they don't do anything unless they can do it well.  Even the flops are crafted beautifully.  Just look at an AutoTool or SportRatchet if you don't believe me.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline zackhugh

Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 04:47:10 AM
Actually, the Chinese tools have some neat ideas/designs built into them.  Just some questionable execution.

I never doubted Victorinox.  I don't doubt Wenger anymore.  I knew these were going to be nice.  Now I know from your other review HOW nice.  :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 01:44:56 PM
One thing that got to me that I didn't put in my initial review is that when using the bottle opener, the Ranger feels a little "loose" meaning that there seems to be some play in the bottle opener.  After a significant amount of bottle opening, I have noticed that the loose feeling bottle opener (and the can opener as well) are intentionally like that to provide a slightly better angle when the tool is in use.  It's a small thing, but as anyone who suffers from arthritis, tendinitis or carpal tunnel syndrome will tell you, it can really make all the difference in the world. 

It seems Wenger is paying more attention to ergonomics than just the new, fancy scales!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 05:37:40 PM
Ugh... I really want a 75.  Has anyone pre-ordered one?  What kind of prices are we looking at?
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 06:28:24 PM
Cat Signal sent up...

Def

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 06:39:01 PM
Ugh... I really want a 75.  Has anyone pre-ordered one?  What kind of prices are we looking at?

The Ranger 73 and 75 are due in the U.S. in August sometime. I am not accepting pre-orders but will post when they are available. MSRP for the 75 is $83. My price will be $58. shipped. I have sold the Alinghis faster than I can stock them. I will be ordering more. I also have Ranger 51s, 61s, & 56s in stock.
T

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 07:09:42 PM
Ugh... gee thanks Tim... Looks like I'll be sending more of my money your way when the 75's are available to order :)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 08:16:40 PM
Just change your direct deposit paycheck info to Tim's account.  It's much easier, trust me! :D

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 12:26:43 AM
I think I've already mentioned this elsewhere, but I'm most interested in the folding pliers combined with a one-hand opening knife blade. Browsing through the selection on the Wenger website, I believe that combination is only available on the Alinghi.

Offline 17Chap

Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 02:21:18 AM

The Ranger 73 and 75 are due in the U.S. in August sometime. I am not accepting pre-orders but will post when they are available. MSRP for the 75 is $83. My price will be $58. shipped. I have sold the Alinghis faster than I can stock them. I will be ordering more. I also have Ranger 51s, 61s, & 56s in stock.

Tim:

Can you tell me how many layers the 56 has, 3?

Chap

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 03:14:45 AM
I think I've already mentioned this elsewhere, but I'm most interested in the folding pliers combined with a one-hand opening knife blade. Browsing through the selection on the Wenger website, I believe that combination is only available on the Alinghi.

Thanks for pointing out the Alinghi, J-sews, which I wasn't aware of.  It looks to be one sweet knife/multitool for sailing.

Vic makes a couple of sailing knives that are similar, one of which includes a small pliers IIRC.

A one-hand-opening blade is highly desirable for sailors, if not a safety necessity.

The marlinspike tool looks usable, if not optimal, for splicing rope.  The shackle opener - I'm not sure about how well that would work...

Anyhow, Alinghi looks quite functional for sailing use, but also a tad expensive compared to similar Wengers.

N

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD