Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking for a Good Knife Forum to do some Knife research

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Looking for a Good Knife Forum to do some Knife research
Reply #30 on: April 08, 2010, 11:11:11 PM

Actually had a horrible experience at knifeforums.com.  One of the moderators shut down/locked two of my topics.  Then when I posted a new topic it was completely deleted, it was an attempt to respond to his comments.  Stay away.  I cant believe it was censored like this.  Now on the converse I have had a wonderful experience at bladeforums and knifetests.  Lots of great people...just like here.  As many of us...we are on the forums to learn and discuss.  Not get scrutinized for our topics whether the question is from a newbie or not.  I admit and offer up my own disclaimer in my post.  About my lack of skill and knowledge.  I dont insult people or make rude comments.  But the knifeforums moderator was just wrong for pulling that crap.  I would not recommend that forum at all.  My topics were locked within 2 days of post.  Nothing was said offensively or rudely. 

Here are the topics that are locked:

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/876148/

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/875930/

I wil post my reply that was also deleted later...you guys gotta read this.  Unbelievable.   Sad that their are people out there like this. 

Often when you have multiple threads on the same subject they "condense" them for space and redundancy. even here threads will be moved or closed if they are the same things/similar.

I have never had any problems with KF or BF and I've learned tons and made some good friends both places, sorry you had problems :-\

Offline soapboxpreacher

Reply #31 on: April 08, 2010, 11:44:25 PM
Kinda sad isnt it. 

Offline soapboxpreacher

Reply #32 on: April 08, 2010, 11:55:34 PM
Master member is: marcinek

He sent me a pretty much piss off private message an hour or so, telling me how it is and telling me that I didnt like the response...when in fact I could make one cause he locked the forum.  I guess if it makes him feel better.  Unbelievable...anyone know how to cancel/close my account (its a free one) my lat kniveforum?  I want out of that place if it is run like that.

Offline Kmarr

Reply #33 on: April 09, 2010, 02:50:19 AM

Actually had a horrible experience at knifeforums.com.  One of the moderators shut down/locked two of my topics.  Then when I posted a new topic it was completely deleted, it was an attempt to respond to his comments.

Most forum have bad apples, some more than others but you'll bump into them soon or later. Some guy on knifeforums picked fight with me and I responded, his mod buddy came gave me a warning and didn't do anything with him. On bladeforum I told a guy I don't like the handle on his custom knife, and next thing I know he was calling my mother some horrible names.

But it's just the internet, where people hide behind anonymity and say/do things they'd never in real life.
One of the reasons I hate youtube comments.  Everyone is out to pick a fight over a video. I simply don't get it. ???

I had no idear that knifeforums was bad in terms of moderation.  I heard some unsavory things about blade forums  but it had nothing to do with the people who run the thing.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 02:52:37 AM by Kmarr »

Offline LittleBird

• New User
Reply #34 on: April 09, 2010, 04:41:04 PM
Grate forum! First post! I love multitools and knives. Glad im hear. Sounds like the master moderaters at KF are jerks! That is sad to here.

How about this knive, soapboxpreacer?

Its called a Tops Brown Tracker.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #35 on: April 09, 2010, 05:33:32 PM
I'd love to try one of those out :) But there too expensive over her to just "try" one to see if you like it :-\

Welcome to the forum mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline LittleBird

• New User
Reply #36 on: April 09, 2010, 06:02:57 PM
Thanks Mike! I havent tried one either! I wonder if it treis to do to much? Maybe it can chiop but not fillet a fish?

At least a multitool like a Leatherman has a differnt "blade" for each function.

I have a Leatherman Blast...I love it.  :tu:

Reply #37 on: April 09, 2010, 06:06:30 PM
It does smack of "Jack of all trades and master of none" doesn't it :-\

I'll have one, one day though :D

Offline LittleBird

• New User
Reply #38 on: April 09, 2010, 06:16:53 PM
soapboxpreacher...did you try knife tests and nutnfancy on youtube? Maybe they arent part of the "old boys" network

Offline crls1

• I do Exist!!!!
Reply #39 on: April 10, 2010, 03:37:00 AM
I think a good option would be a OKC Ranger RD7 or RD-6, 1/4" thick of 5160 steel, micarta handles and a price tag under $ 100.00, with the choice of serrations.

RD-6
http://images.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/ontario/images/ON9416TM.jpg

RD-7
http://images.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/ontario/images/ON9417BM.jpg

Carlos
(

Offline ASH

Reply #40 on: April 10, 2010, 08:27:40 AM
Tracker; You love or hate. I try original and replica as well , chopping very well (just like axe), and can use the small job, but for me too heavy for carry all day long.

Offline soapboxpreacher

Reply #41 on: April 11, 2010, 06:06:22 PM
Grate forum! First post! I love multitools and knives. Glad im hear. Sounds like the master moderaters at KF are jerks! That is sad to here.

How about this knive, soapboxpreacer?

(Image removed from quote.)

Its called a Tops Brown Tracker.

Impressive tops and scary too!!!  I like it!  Dont know how the different blade edges would function but it would certainly scare anything away!!!  HAHA!    I did learn a lot over the last few weeks.  There is no one knife but maybe a small collection of knives to cover most situations.  And basically it is a small, medium, large.  A small utility slicer for fine work and food prep, a medium duty chopper, chipper and light batoning even prying, and a large zombie chopper!  HAHA.  Of course a MT.  And some have suggested a cheap folding wood saw.  Wood saw seems smart for in a survival situation you want to conserve energy and used yourself as effectively as possible.   Batonning might not be as easier or effective as a wood saw.  Not to mention making a shelter would be easier as well as offer more flexibility with the saw.  So I have narrowed my collection to a:

Mora 2000
RC-5
Fallkniven A1
Scrapyard Dog Father (DF)
Keyshaw Folding Saw
Wave

Dog father I would probably not carrier on a camping trip as much as the A1 and Mora.  Mora would be excellent for fishing fillet, prep food and find wood work.  A1 is light yet strong and long enough to do most work.  RC-5 might not be as necessary but I like the heavier weight and thick blade...that one could be removed from the collection and really leaving a Mora, A1, and DF.  You could almost handle any situation.  I do not like serrated knives.  I have a Seal Pup Elite and even though it is light the serration making batonning logs garbage.  I was batonning <4" logs yesterday and it was a b***h!!  The serration are really only good for cutting webbing, rope and so on...I have a nice serrated blade on the Wave...done!  But the sheath on the Sog Seal Pup is nice because I can put a MT in the secondary pocket.  Just my take as of right now.

Bladeforum has been awesome...great group there!  Very nice lots of interaction on your posts!  I have learn tons!!!  And Knifetests.com is also awesome...Noss I believe runs it and he is a great guy!!  Does some crazy stuff with knives but it does prove a point!  I like him and respect what he does, plus you can tell he certainly has fun doing what he does!  Yeah, the tests are extreme...but then there is no question of if a knife he tested can take it...he has taken the guess work out of it.  Furthermore lets you know what limits you can expect.  As for Nutnfancy...like him but man are his reviews/vidoes long winded!!  He goes on and on like the damn energizer bunny!!!  But never really gets into comparisons to heavily...leaving me with watching a a lot of videos without finding a definitive answer...almost information overload.  But I really like him certainly a great source and very nice guy!!

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #42 on: April 11, 2010, 06:13:12 PM
I have the DF and mora 2000, great blades.

I have many Scrapyards and few other BusseKin blades, Rangers are really nice/tough too!

Offline soapboxpreacher

Reply #43 on: April 12, 2010, 06:18:05 AM
WhichDawg...whats your favorite Scrapyard?  Great blades!!!  Busse little brother.   Oh and great prices!

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #44 on: April 12, 2010, 12:27:43 PM
For toughness I'd have to say the DFCG (DogfatherCombatGrade). Not as smooth as the LE version (full grind) but I like the weight and forward-balance and amazing steel&treat of the CG. After 2 years still has a great edge! (and I use it!)

but for overall usage (like what you want) I have to say the SS4, it's INFI! great in hand balance and I luv the Resiprene-C mudder grips.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 12:29:27 PM by WhichDawg »

Offline soapboxpreacher

Reply #45 on: April 14, 2010, 12:30:08 AM
The Dog Father has made the list...now it is a matter of when it will be available.  I want the Street Scrapper 4 too!  Hell and maybe a Scrappy 6.  Those guys really make a fine product.  The Steel is amazing!!!!  Busse really has the best, that INFI is simply amazing.  Jerry really knows steel!  Come to find out Scrapyard is the little bro to Busse.  I have my wish list!!  It is growing longer.   

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #46 on: April 14, 2010, 08:55:35 AM
I also have the S6. I have 9 different SY models, all great blades, especially for the price!

again don't forget Rangers. Justin used to work for Busse and he's a great guy to deal with.
but you would get Rangers through Ontario now, but if you ever had any problems, he would
take care of it if need be.

Offline soapboxpreacher

Reply #47 on: April 15, 2010, 02:55:57 AM
I like the RD9 but not certain how it is against the RTAK II.  RD9 is thicker but that is always better.  Plus the Steels...RD9 5160 and RTAKII is 1095.  Let me know what you think.  Becker is out (Handle is terrible!) so is the trail master (dont like the guard).

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #48 on: April 15, 2010, 10:33:38 AM
I had a TAKII and traded it away, it was an excellent blade that didn't fit my hand well.

I have an RD7 that I beat (batoned) with a large stone! and aside from some nicks and a few dings, it preformed magnificently! (I really shouldn't have done that but I was moving and we had stopped for the night and I needed a fire!)

Always remember it's not just the steel used but the heat-treat that makes it strong. I sent it back to Justin and he smoothed out the dings for me, for free!

Becker makes em nice too, I agree about the handle. I'm not a big CS fan, I like warranties and companies that stand behind their stuff.

Offline soapboxpreacher

Reply #49 on: April 15, 2010, 09:29:00 PM
A few people have mentioned the Ontario SP5 as well as the KaBar Heavy Bowie as options.  They are 1/2 the cost and might fit in the bill till I can get a Scrapyard Dog Father...let me know your take.  It is a different direction cheaper and thicker bladed option.

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: April 16, 2010, 12:27:33 AM
Don't discount the Becker handles.  They are actually quite comfy and the pommel on the end is handy for campsite chores.  The poor man buys twice.  Save for the dogfather...you'll be much happier.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #51 on: April 16, 2010, 12:32:33 AM
The plastic becker handle does look/feel cheap but it works, they also sell micarta replacement if you like that but they aren't cheap.

Offline crls1

• I do Exist!!!!
Reply #52 on: April 16, 2010, 01:48:51 AM
A few people have mentioned the Ontario SP5 as well as the KaBar Heavy Bowie as options.  They are 1/2 the cost and might fit in the bill till I can get a Scrapyard Dog Father...let me know your take.  It is a different direction cheaper and thicker bladed option.

I have a KaBar Heavy Bowie (large), a BK-9 and RD-9, and the three will perform any task you'll ask from them. The Heavy Bowie is in fact inexspensive, but it will surprise you for what can do.

Carlos

Some pics...

(

Reply #53 on: April 16, 2010, 08:55:26 AM
Great pics Carlos :drool:

Offline soapboxpreacher

Reply #54 on: April 16, 2010, 04:21:13 PM
Found the heavy Bowie for $47 with free shipping...it is my pacifier till I can get a Dog Father.  I also grabbed a Cool Steel Kukri as well...it was $16.  I was so on the fence with the KaBar Heay Bowie and the SP5.  Very close and I am still not certain the Heavy is the better of the choice for the SP5 I could also find for $47.  It is a different steel, full tang, and the SP5 is longer (some say that isnt necessarily better when you are talking an inch) but the handle isnt as nice (from what I have heard compared to the Kabar, it is still decent) kabar seems to eat up more shock with their handle design...probably because it doesnt quite have the same tang.  I think the SP5 might be better on paper but that sometimes doesnt translate in the field the same.  Then again I am yet to hear anyone that has broken the handle or the tang.  I have heard (knifetests.com) the tip on the Heavy Bowie snapped at 10-20 degrees I wonder how the SP5 would do.  Both sheaths pretty much stink.  But this one I still have to give to SP5 because when the blade is in it.  The SP5 belt loop can actually rotate...this is not the case with the kabar. 

As for the RD9...I past on it as well as the RTAKII.  2x the cost for a blade I will be (hopefully) replacing with a Dog Father.  I do like the sheaths on both.  The  RTAKII has thinner steel, which in a big blade I dont think is too smart especially when it gets colder and the knife takes more abuse.  The Kabar and the SP5 are thicker...a little more strength one would assume as is the RD9 but the steel is 5160.  I have heard many say it tends to be dull out of the factory.  Seems like the RD9 never really sold overly well either.  I do like the sheath and handle.  Seems like it would be a tough SOB!!

So in the end I hope the Kabar was the right choice compared to the SP5...both of which are discontinued.   

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%