Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger knives found.. question

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Wenger knives found.. question
on: January 18, 2016, 03:12:36 PM
I have recently been to a store that still has some Wenger knives in stock. I usually don't keep any "shelf queens" as they call it. I like to use all of my knives (and I have a lot of knives). But I thought that If these wengers are expected to go up in value I just might have to keep a couple, seeing as they were bought out by victorinox and will not be making any more of their own knives. They are still on sale for their original retail price and are brand new in the box. What do yall think? will they increase in value/rarity or no? Good collection pieces? Thanks!

us Offline Thales of Miletus

Re: Wenger knives found.. question
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 01:55:48 AM
That is a hard question to answer when if you had the best information, but its even harder without details.  If they are models with rare tools, there is more chance value would go up, but if they are basic models they would go up in value more slowly.  I think something many people forget is inflation.  Almost everything will go up in value over time, but the real key is if it goes up in value more than inflation or if it goes up more than a basic interest rate.  I'm always amazed when I watch Antiques Roadshow type programs and people are shocked by the price of their item.  In most cases if it is worth a lot of money now, it was worth a lot of money when it was first made.  If someone had taken the money then and put it in an interest bearing account, would that amount be more or less than a future selling price.  The only time you should be amazed is if you bought it for a dollar and sold it for a much larger amount within a years time. 

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 01:57:37 AM
It depends a lot on the model.  Highlanders and Commanders are still largely available on eBay, new, for cheap for example.
Tetons on the other hand are mostly extinct (a guy has been listing a couple for a while at an outrageous price).

I think the traditional scaled models (except the Highlander/Commander) will be the most valuable in the future, as all the rebranded Delmont collection are Evolution or Evogrip.

Look for models that didn't make it into the Delmont collection.
- Steve

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 04:40:40 PM
I suspect that since Vic and Wenger made thousands of each model that maybe your great grand children might (?) make some $$ from them.
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 05:02:29 PM
I think with some rarer versions, some money can be made with in few years. You just have to be able to look the right ones. If you are able to store them for good time, you will have some value risen.

But if you want to have serious money instead of few tens of bucks, you will have to buy really big quantities really cheap. And some labour and patience is really needed...

us Offline aerojet

• My Wenger...
Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 03:09:42 PM
I agree, but only add this - look for Wenger SAKS which have odd or unusual tools like the Signal - Matterhorn comes to mind. In time, and it may take years but know in time Wenger SAKS will drop off he planet and yours will be in demand.

The early bird may get the worm, but it is second mouse which gets the CHEESE !!

The only easy day was yesterday.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD