Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

*MY* MiniGrip! :-D

us Offline turbov21

*MY* MiniGrip! :-D
on: April 06, 2010, 03:15:50 AM
With thanks to donvito for the link to eBay, I present pictures of my Wenger MiniGrip.  (Please ignore the purring, that's just me.)

Unboxing the MiniGrip (MG), I can hardly contain myself.  Darth Maul offered to help open the box, but I politely declined.

The whole kit and kaboodle.  It's a lovely package, my first SAK with a sheath.  I'm also enamored with how they fit the bits beneath the handle of the pliers, that was inspired.

As with the Mechanic, here's the MG next to my beloved Super Tinker.  How does it stack up?  I rather like the MG's bit collection as the primary screwdriver.  I'm on the fence about how its can opener works so close to the pliers.  I really think they should have reversed the can and bottle opener, though I guess there's no good answer to the question, "Would you rather risk spilling soup or soda on the locking mechanism?"  The blade looks good, though I haven't had a chance to test it yet.  The same goes for the saw and file; they open very easily, but I want to try them before saying much else.  The pliers are nice, possibly just slightly behind the Buck X-Tract's pliers and in front of the SOG SideClip, however that is a completely subjective opinion based on my hand, not the pliers themselves.

All-in-all, this is a very, very nice knife.  With the single exception of the all-important jaw size, the MiniGrip is the second only tool I've ever considered EDC'ing over my current Super Tinker/LM Crunch combo.  It's that cool.

And because no one demanded it, here's my little collection of SAK's, presented left-to-right in the order of acquisition: Wegner Viking, VIC Super Tinker, VIC Tinker and SD Classic (combo pack), VIC SwissMemory, VIC Mechanic, and Wegner MiniGrip.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: *MY* MiniGrip! :-D
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 03:28:54 AM
Looks good.  :)
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 03:34:59 AM
Very Nice!  Last week I bought a backup to my pocket grip from the Cat Man.  I also think it's a very nice tool that's very underrated. I think it just was introduced at the wrong time and Wenger, always trying so many different things, maybe does not stick with their designs and refine them enough.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 04:06:41 AM
I suspect you a are correct about that ICFT :salute:

Turbo, I see you scored the blunt pliers version, which I like better than the needlenose. :tu: Also the serrated blade it seems isn't quite as common as the plain edge, so congrats there as well. Nice set up! :cheers:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 07:25:52 AM
There a cracking tool aren't they mate :)

And one of the few UK legal MT's out there too :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 07:30:53 AM
Glad you got it Turbo :tu: It's a nice MT. I have the same exact model :cheers:
DSC00716.JPG
* DSC00716.JPG (Filesize: 117.16 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!