Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

leatherman surge vs. wave

Offline aryaghandikota

• New User
leatherman surge vs. wave
on: July 26, 2007, 02:42:52 PM
hi everyone. I have been carrying a lm juice kf4 for some time now, but i was thinking i need something a little bigger and more sturdier. I had my sights set on the new wave, but i also found some leatherman surge gift sets at my local costco at a very good price. I prefer the surge mostly due to the huge external scissors, but i'm a bit worried about the size of the tool. I guess what i'm asking is, is the difference in size (extra 100 grams and .5 inches) worth it? Also, does the surge ride well in baggy jeans pockets for edc? i'm definitely not a fan of side pouches or holsters, so all tools i carry must be in a pocket. thanks a lot in advance, and sorry for the long post.
Arya

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: leatherman surge vs. wave
Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 03:14:10 PM
Welcome to the Forum!

The Surge might be a bit big and heavy for pocket carry.  I know I for one was surprised at the size of it.  The numbers really don't do it justice and it has to be seen/held to really understand the mass involved in this tool.  In addition, with the one handed blade "humps" sticking out, it really does take up a significant amount of real estate.  I think I'd suggest sticking with the Wave or the Charge if I were you, since you are upgrading from the Juice, which will make the Surge seem that much bigger.

Unless you really need to go heavy duty, I wouldn't go for the Surge if I were you.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline AJ

Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 06:20:17 PM
Hi,

Yeah, I the surge is to big for jeans pockets. It is big and I found it a bit big for EDC on a belt.
How about the wave or charge with a pocket clip?

[

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 06:25:14 PM
Another thing to consider is that without a sheath, the Surge will be missing either a saw or a file (if that matters to you), unless you carry the extra piece somewhere else.

Offline umberto00

Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 07:10:01 PM
I uprgraded my wave to a Surge. Even though the Surge is big, I still carry it every day clipped in my back pocket. Since I'm not a sheath fan, the extra File/Saw sits in my wallet, along with a sleeve I made for the extra bits. What I love about the Surge is the fact that it already has an awl (I modded the flat driver on my Wave into an awl) and that the file is removable, allowing a quick blade sharpening if I'm away from my whetstones!

Offline aryaghandikota

• New User
Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 06:35:47 AM
yeah, i think based on the way you guys are describing the surge, its bigger than i imagined it to be (i have never actually seen it, just pics of it.) so i guess i'll go with the wave. the pocket clip idea is great, i didn't even think of that. this is a great site! thanks a lot
Arya

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 08:31:21 AM
yeah, i think based on the way you guys are describing the surge, its bigger than i imagined it to be (i have never actually seen it, just pics of it.) so i guess i'll go with the wave. the pocket clip idea is great, i didn't even think of that. this is a great site! thanks a lot
Arya

When I opened my Surge... the first thing out of my mouth was "Holy Crap!  This things huge!"

The Wave with a pocket clip sounds about perfect for what you need.

Also, welcome to the forum!  In the future, please remember the MT.O motto "When in doubt, buy both!"  :)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 04:44:06 PM
The surge is huge.  I have a wave and from a multitool standpoint it is just the right size.  The surge is a good tool dont get me wrong.  If you need a tool that big and heavy, I'd stay with the Juice and carry a large folding knife and a large set of pliers, the weight would be about the same. :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%