Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How do you sharpen your blades?

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
How do you sharpen your blades?
on: October 02, 2006, 03:50:35 AM
Sharpening knifes can be an art form.  Any tips on good sharpeners?  Do you use a flat stone or those V-sharpeners were you just pull the blade trough?
"

Offline mkphc

Re: How do you sharpen your blades?
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 06:21:55 AM
I use a combination of two kits, I use the blade clamp from Lansky and the hones "stones" from a DMT alligner kit that are diamond.

I started with a lansky 10-15 years ago and the stones wore alot allthough they offer a diamond kit I've tried both and prefer the DMT. It takes about 10 minutes to first set the new profile,grind to a new knife but after that touch-ups only take literally 1 minute, and I'm talking about scary sharp!

I've used this system on everything from utility knife blades to multi tools, fixed blade hunting, kitchen, pocket knives even arrows, it's consistent and true so you don't have to worry about scratching up the blade.

Hope this helps!
H

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 11:34:33 AM
I use a dog bone type mostly.  I have two of them and they offer the best match of convenience and effectiveness.  I have a number of other options including a Norton India stone, butcher's steel, crock sticks and so on, but I find the dog bone easiest to use and it can go anywhere.
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline jmm1974

Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 02:41:19 AM
have you ever tried the Lansky Sharpener system? i use it for all my blades and it just rocks.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 12:07:36 PM
I like the Lansky system and I used one for years.  It's kind of a pain to set up though, and often it's a little awkward to use on small blades like the ones on multitools.  I just got to the point where I wasn't using it much unless I had major work to do on the blades.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ar Offline mcniac

• Administrator
  • Don't Panic!
Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 06:39:58 PM
i sharpen all my knives freehand, is easy once you learn how :)
the flat and concave grinds are sharpened with a natural water stone from here (i must buy some diamond stone for some stainless i have that are really hard)
and sand paper with a soft backing for all my convex , what means most of my users.

Esteban

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD