Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK Restoration

Zag · 15 · 2465

gb Offline Zag

SAK Restoration
on: April 09, 2010, 09:29:36 AM
Is it accepted to have used old sak restored or is it best to leave them as they are?  ???
I am talking about having an Elinox on the sharpmaker, a Fisher blade straightened, scratches polished out... That kind of things
We are not talking about a user where the blades need to be sharp but a collector piece? Do you refurbish them so they can look their best in the display cabinet or let their age and character show?
 :think:
AloxWorld.com

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: SAK Restoration
Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 09:36:54 AM
If your not going to use it, then leave well alone beyong cleaning them in my opinion :)

Ben chillax ok :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 11:16:53 AM
I'd say do whatever makes you happy.  I like bringing a bit of life back into a SAK, sharpen it up, give it a clean & polish, that kind of thing.  Unless it's rare or sentimental though there's a point where I don't bother and would just pull it apart for mod fodder.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 12:11:33 PM
For me, it very much depends on the age, rarity and condition the knife is in.

For instance...

Both of the knives above were in poor condition and left as they were unusable so they were cleaned, polished blades re profiled and in general brought back to a standard where they functioned as good as new.

Although not common neither were so rare as to avoid quite harsh measures in their restoration.

Unlike...

In this case it was cleaned, what could safely be polished was and the tools only straightened enough so that they would fold again.  No attempts were made to fix the broken parts as doing so would detract from the piece's interest.  By the way, I still don't have a positive ID on that logo if anyone can help.

When they arrive in this condition however...

Its time to pull them apart :)

On used vintage knives I like to restore them to a state where its still obvious that its an old well used knife but have it look fantastic at the same time.  If a knife is in such poor condition that the only way to repair it is complete disassembly, I make sure to mark the knife in such a way as to ensure future collectors know what has happened and or use replacement parts that make the restoration obvious.  Its bit like restoring a listed building, if you want to add a wall you are often obliged to use modern materials in order that it is clear what was original and what is an addition.

By all means feel free to post pictures of the knives in question, if you'd value another opinion as to what to do with it :tu:

That's a lot of waffle, I hope some of it made sense :)

I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

gb Offline Zag

Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 01:48:48 PM
Thanks Neil! Very comprehensive answer as always  :tu:
The knife in question is a Red Farmer no keyring, brass liners.
Shall I leave it, do what I can, send it back to Victorinox (but would they use old parts to repair it?)
Sorry for the picture quality (I'm sort of at work right now  :D)

« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 02:33:22 PM by Zag »
AloxWorld.com

Offline Ninjaz

Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 01:52:58 PM
I personaly won't restore mine because I am too affriad to mess them up.

I think good cleaning and light polish to remove light scratches is ok and welcome. If the SAK is broken fixing it by replacing parts is ok but it reduce the value of the sak and if you trade/sell the SAK you must let know the person who bought it (I bought one sak that the small blade and scales were replaces and it wasn't mantion and it so annoying).

Neil, I am always amazed with your restoration work (and moding).  :salute:
[

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 02:36:49 PM
the one Restoration I did, I replaced two of the back springs and a pin and shapend her up.  I went thourgh the effort lagrlt because the knife is rare enough that SOSAK were sraching their heads over what it might be

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 03:17:27 PM
the one Restoration I did, I replaced two of the back springs and a pin and shapend her up.  I went thourgh the effort lagrlt because the knife is rare enough that SOSAK were sraching their heads over what it might be

Pictures?  :pok:

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 04:26:01 PM

Pictures?  :pok:

The Wenger Double Blade

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 04:41:27 PM
Oh yeah, that neato knife. :)

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 05:06:53 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

I've seen worse and better :)  If its the only example you have in your collection I would clean it and shelve it.  If in the future you get a better example take that one and either reprofile the blade (if its not too short already) and fix the openers or pull it for parts.

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 05:08:04 PM
The Wenger Double Blade
(Image removed from quote.)

A very unusual SAK, good repair job :tu:

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 05:40:21 PM
This is a great question. For most knives that go into my collection, I clean thoroughly, polish up the scales, replace missing springs and oil. I don't typically polish the blades/tools unless there is heavy, heavy scratching, usually from resharpening. I will replace scales if the ones on the knife are heavily damaged I can do so with a set of the same type/vintage. As for bending tools back... after my experience breaking the tip off the main blade of my Farmer, I don't do this anymore. The only thing I'll attempt to bend now is a corkscrew. I If there are broken tools, then what happens next depends on the knife.

For alox, vintage, or HTF knives I just clean them up and leave them at that. I tell myself that one day I'm going to send them to Vic for refurbishing, but I probably never will because I'm terrified I'll send them an exposed rivet Armee Suisse Climber with crab claw can opener and I'll get back a $10 Climber made last year.

For common stuff with damaged tools, they get disassembled and tossed into the parts bin for future mods.

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 07:21:14 PM
I'll just chip in on tool bending.  On vintage stuff DON'T!   

Old tools especially blades may look good but can be fatigued leading to them snapping very easily if you attempt to bend them.  I've taken apart an old SAK that had a slight bend to the tip that snapped during dissasembly, not a particularly violent process so I was shocked, my best guess in that situation was the blade had been previously bent, bent back and had been bent a third time leaving it very weak indeed.

On modern tools you may be able to get away with it, most of the time I will try and rectify a bend.

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 12:47:45 AM
The Wenger Double Blade

A very unusual SAK, good repair job :tu:

thank you

Donations

Operational Funds