Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pioneer Pruner

Offline Travis Autry

Pioneer Pruner
on: July 27, 2007, 06:43:12 PM
While SAKs are not new to me, I am somewhat new to the alox models.  I began a new job a little over a month ago.  After nearly 18 years managing a university radio station, I relocated to the university's Audio Visuals department as a technician.  For whatever reason the university decided to get out of the radio business and asked me to stay in the new job.

For the new job I chose to combine my Pioneer Pruner with my SwissTool for daily carry.  In the last couple of weeks, the little pruner blade has been very handy.  I've found that it is ideal for cutting wire ties.  The little hawkbill slides right in behind them and slices right through.

The first experience was really interesting.  My Foreman was trying to use the pliers on his Leatherman to bend the tie back and forth until it broke.  When I took the wire and sliced the tie his eyes bulged!  Apparently he had been wrestling with wire ties for some time.  Since then he has borrowed my pruner on several projects.

Before long, I may have a new convert in the fold.  Perhaps two more, as there are two other guys in the department.

Now if I could only get them to move up to a SwissTool. . .

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Pioneer Pruner
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 07:03:09 PM
way to preach the sak message! :)

how to you go about sharpening the hawksbill mate?
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 07:30:35 PM
Cool  ;D Sounds like you have a perfect combo there .

Dunc

Offline RedRamage

Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 01:20:40 AM
Nice use of the pruning blade!!  Dang, now I want a SAK with a Pruning blade.  I'm just gonna have to get the XVAT and EDC it!  :o

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 01:28:12 AM
XAVT?  Make sure you get the official XAVT sheath too:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Travis Autry

Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 02:27:04 AM
Sharpening the pruner blade hasn't been a problem.  Fortunately it came with a very thin edge.  I've kept it shaving sharp with light application of a round, tapered diamond rod and regular use of the kitchen steel.  For the occasional strop, I have used the rounded edge of a leather belt.

In regard to other models, I was thinking how interesting it would be to offer a pruner blade on a SwissTool.  I've also been thinking about adding a Pruner model to my group.  Naturally that has led me to consider the Florist model with the sheepsfoot blade, another favorite style of mine.

So many SAKs so little time and money. ::)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 04:02:15 AM

Ahem...and might there be a photograph available showing this intriguing alox pioneer with hawkbill? 
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 07:25:13 AM
What pack is that?
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 01:05:48 PM

Ahem...and might there be a photograph available showing this intriguing alox pioneer with hawkbill?

Yes:

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=31&page=view&catid=1&key=63&hit=1

As for the pack, I dunno.  I Googled "Victorinox Backpack" under Images and found it.  Give it a shot and you might be able to get more info.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 01:33:32 PM

Cool, I like red alox.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 01:49:40 PM
Yup... red ALOX sure is purdy!

Def

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 07:10:53 PM
Sharpening the pruner blade hasn't been a problem.  Fortunately it came with a very thin edge.  I've kept it shaving sharp with light application of a round, tapered diamond rod and regular use of the kitchen steel.  For the occasional strop, I have used the rounded edge of a leather belt.

In regard to other models, I was thinking how interesting it would be to offer a pruner blade on a SwissTool.  I've also been thinking about adding a Pruner model to my group.  Naturally that has led me to consider the Florist model with the sheepsfoot blade, another favorite style of mine.

So many SAKs so little time and money. ::)
thanks mate, i was wondering if they,d work on a sharpmaker, i guess by your description it will

cheers
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69