Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

"New" Supertool arrived today...

AHB · 39 · 4874

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Re: "New" Supertool arrived today...
Reply #30 on: April 21, 2010, 01:42:03 AM
That is crap, can't believe a seller would do that.  I actually like restoring tools, but I want to know that I will be doing it when I click "buy it now".   It is cool to get a SAK in that needs some TLC(the ones from Felinevet are easy and fun to clean), but I got one in off ebay that I had to disassemble it and soak the parts in acetone for an hour.  the seller told me it was mint as well. 

What "right tools" do you all speak of?  the only LM wrench I am aware of is a pair of kick clips, which I need to order. 

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #31 on: April 21, 2010, 02:32:49 AM
That is crap, can't believe a seller would do that.  I actually like restoring tools, but I want to know that I will be doing it when I click "buy it now".   It is cool to get a SAK in that needs some TLC(the ones from Felinevet are easy and fun to clean), but I got one in off ebay that I had to disassemble it and soak the parts in acetone for an hour.  the seller told me it was mint as well. 

What "right tools" do you all speak of?  the only LM wrench I am aware of is a pair of kick clips, which I need to order. 

I'm going to defend the seller a bit here. I had a Supertool from ebay a long time ago, and he advertised it as "never used". Only problem was that it had been "never used" in his garden shed for about 6 years  ::) He actually refunded me half what I paid and was a proper gent about it all - he was just a bit lazy and hadn't inspected it. He'd just taken pics without actually opening it up. In fact I ended up selling him stuff too :D

The good news with the old LM tools though, is that any rust that does happen tends to sit very close to the surface and can often be wiped off with a cloth or wire wool. Despite the impression you might get from some posts on here, the steel that LM use is incredibly good, and deep rust is virtually unheard of - just look at some of my PST restoration threads on here! A fine grade sandpaper will normally shift any really bad stuff anyway, but you really need to get the things apart as the nasty stuff builds up in between the drivers and blades where moisture can penetrate and sit.

When I say "right tools", I'm referring to a set of Leatherman maintenance tools that I am in possession of, courtesy of a friend who used to work in a LM repair centre. With these, I can strip a Supertool down to the bare washers, clean, rebuild and re-loctite. Most of the time they look like new when I've finished :)

This is a pretty good example of a tool that looks beyond hope and what can be done with it: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,14576.0.html

I used to come here a lot.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #32 on: April 21, 2010, 03:03:25 AM

I would love some LM maintenance tools.  I have been wanting to do some mods that include charges, waves, and a blast, but without a proper way to disassemble the tools, I fear that I will ruin them.

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: April 21, 2010, 06:18:59 AM
Great job Allan,thanks for restoring a great old tool!!! :cheers:& :salute:

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #34 on: April 21, 2010, 06:21:07 AM
Great job Allan,thanks for restoring a great old tool!!! :cheers:& :salute:
Thanks..  :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #35 on: April 21, 2010, 12:12:46 PM
You did a nice job. Seller issues like that annoys me to no end. However, looks like you came out on top of that one with a little sweat equity.  :salute:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #36 on: April 21, 2010, 02:57:06 PM
The good news with the old LM tools though, is that any rust that does happen tends to sit very close to the surface and can often be wiped off with a cloth or wire wool. Despite the impression you might get from some posts on here, the steel that LM use is incredibly good, and deep rust is virtually unheard of - just look at some of my PST restoration threads on here!

My thoughts exactly... :tu: Although I've occasionally seen rust on most of my LMs, they don't pit the steel or leave any nusty marks if treated correctly and in time.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #37 on: April 21, 2010, 04:09:48 PM
The good news with the old LM tools though, is that any rust that does happen tends to sit very close to the surface and can often be wiped off with a cloth or wire wool. Despite the impression you might get from some posts on here, the steel that LM use is incredibly good, and deep rust is virtually unheard of - just look at some of my PST restoration threads on here!

My thoughts exactly... :tu: Although I've occasionally seen rust on most of my LMs, they don't pit the steel or leave any nusty marks if treated correctly and in time.

Yep, a little 0000 steel wool and it's good as new!  My pst gets a little rusty from time to time, I just wool it and keep on trucking.

scotland Offline colinoutdoors

• Colin
Reply #38 on: July 14, 2011, 09:47:23 PM
Great job on the clean up of that Super Tool. Shame the person you bought it from wasn't telling the truth. I have bought a couple, not as bad as your ST, that were a bit rusty. Most recently a Ti I got on Tuesday. Its always fun to salvage a multi-tool.

Great job once again  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD