Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

FrankenVIC! (my first attempt to customize a SAK)

Offline andrea.from.roma

FrankenVIC! (my first attempt to customize a SAK)
on: April 20, 2010, 10:10:53 PM
I have a Climber and a Sportsman which I'd love to combine. The idea is to get rid of the big blade of the Climber and put the Sportsman's little file in its place, eventually adding a pair of plus cellidor scales (if I can find a pair for a few euros somewhere). Now, the questions:

1) I'm really sorry but I can't find any article/guide that explains how to customize a SAK. And this is funny, because I've read many over the years. Do you guys have any interesting link for me?

2) Do you think this is a good idea? Or am I just obsessed with these diabolic little things? (I already know the answer for this one... :D)

I'll post some pictures as soon as I get started.

Thanks,

A.
R

us Offline SlackOne

• See Saw Seen
Re: FrankenVIC! (my first attempt to customize a SAK)
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 10:15:03 PM
There's an article in the Mod Squad section here that's all about taking your fine piece of Swiss craftsmanship and mutilating it :)
Half-ass done wholeheartedly!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 10:18:29 PM
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline andrea.from.roma

Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 10:19:56 PM
Thank you! :)

A.

R

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 03:00:13 AM
I have a Climber and a Sportsman which I'd love to combine. The idea is to get rid of the big blade of the Climber and put the Sportsman's little file in its place, eventually adding a pair of plus cellidor scales (if I can find a pair for a few euros somewhere). Now, the questions:

Penso che questa sia una idea buona, ma c'e una problema piccola...

The Climber is a 91mm knife, so it uses 2.5mm pins for the pivots of the main pins. The Sportsman is a 84mm knife, so it uses 2.2mm pins. So, to put the file in a 91mm knife frame you'll need to drill out the pivot hole. Since the blade is hardened, it's best to use a carbide drill bit for this. Good luck.

Offline andrea.from.roma

Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 01:39:24 PM

Penso che questa sia una idea buona, ma c'e una problema piccola...

The Climber is a 91mm knife, so it uses 2.5mm pins for the pivots of the main pins. The Sportsman is a 84mm knife, so it uses 2.2mm pins. So, to put the file in a 91mm knife frame you'll need to drill out the pivot hole. Since the blade is hardened, it's best to use a carbide drill bit for this. Good luck.

First, your italian is very good! :)

Second... you are right. And I just figured it out a few minutes ago. I removed the scales of both SAK's, looked at the pins and realized that my project is going to be - at least - tricky. But not impossible.

Expect me to be coming back three or four times a day for help, suggestions and a shoulder to cry on. ;)

Thanks,

A.
R

Offline scibeer

Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 04:25:36 AM
Take some pictures and show us what you are doing   :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28