Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Thoughts On Skeletool Purchase

zeno · 50 · 5226

Offline zeno

Thoughts On Skeletool Purchase
on: April 23, 2010, 03:46:47 PM
Ok guys, my local Sports Academy is selling the Leatherman Skeletool for $38.99.  I have plenty of SAKs, original Leatherman, squirt p4, etc., but no Skeletool.  Honestly, I like it if for no other reason than it just looks way too cool, but I am also wanting a TTi Charge.  If I get this I will be holding off on the Charge for a while.  My questions are?  Do you think I will like the Skeletool and is this too good a deal to pass up?  And is the Charge that much better of a tool?  Thanks for your input.

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Re: Thoughts On Skeletool Purchase
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 04:06:44 PM
I like my Skele, enough to edc it daily. It can be paired with any other MT or SAK for a complete package.

us Offline valvestem125

• You only go this way once.
Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 04:18:36 PM
That's a good price for a retail store, I paid quite a bit more for mine.  I'd buy it see how you like it, if not, you could return it within the store's return policy period.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 04:34:44 PM
It definitely sounds like a good deal.  I've not owned one but I did have a play with one a while back and have to say I didn't get along with it personally.   Considering it's the same length as a Charge it's got much smaller pliers, I didn't find it all that comfy to hold and it's not exactly packed with features. :-\  But there are far more people here that have them and like them, so what do I know? ;)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline stack

Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 04:46:30 PM
  If your heart is set on a TTI, you wont be happy till you get one. The skelletool is a light, compact, tool that handles small jobs and is one of my favorites for edc. and is comfortable in the pocket. The tti will handle more jobs and has a higher grade steel blade but it is bulkier. If the wait will not be to long before you can get the tti than you should get them both. The price for the skelletool seems to be good and I dont see them go on sale. Get them both! :tu:

Offline andre0407

Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 04:55:11 PM
 If your heart is set on a TTI, you wont be happy till you get one. The skelletool is a light, compact, tool that handles small jobs and is one of my favorites for edc. and is comfortable in the pocket. The tti will handle more jobs and has a higher grade steel blade but it is bulkier. If the wait will not be to long before you can get the tti than you should get them both. The price for the skelletool seems to be good and I dont see them go on sale. Get them both! :tu:

I'll agree with Stack. I got a Skeletool CX and never looked back, though now on retrospect the Skeletool would have sufficed for my needs. You can pocket- carry the Skele, and maybe stash the larger Tti in your bag-- long as you know what fits your needs.  :cheers:

Offline zeno

Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 09:27:57 PM
Stack, I took your advice and purchased the Skeletool.  I did notice a defect in it though once I looked closely at it.  The place where the smallest hole is supposed to be in the Drop Point Knife doesn't go all the way through.  I will attach a pic from my iphone.  It doesn't affect the usability of it and is not a big enough deal to me to take back, but still a quality issue.
IMG_0170.jpg
* IMG_0170.jpg (Filesize: 55.93 KB)

us Offline stack

Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 10:10:02 PM
 That should not effect the tool any or its value. You can enjoy this tool now, while saveing for that tti. Theres no shortage of them and you might catch a good deal on one. Anyway, good for you :salute: and post picks of them both when you get it. :cheers:

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 10:12:35 PM
i think id prefer a knife without holes in it anyway!

when you get your charge id send it beck leatherman need to sort this out
I

Offline zeno

Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 11:22:01 PM

ryan, I believe that I am going to keep and and mod it. ::)  Before anyone gasps, let me tell you my idea.  Glow dots, baby! 8)  Yep, that's right.  I am going to fill some (not all) of the holes with epoxy and glow powder so I can find it in the dark.  It should be an easy mod and I can just re bore the holes if I don't like it.  I will work on this this weekend and post some pics later.

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 01:56:47 PM
Get it!  Its a good EDC tool...  I love mine
'

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 01:59:15 PM

read on hes already bought it  :D
I

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 11:55:05 AM

ryan, I believe that I am going to keep and and mod it. ::)  Before anyone gasps, let me tell you my idea.  Glow dots, baby! 8)  Yep, that's right.  I am going to fill some (not all) of the holes with epoxy and glow powder so I can find it in the dark.  It should be an easy mod and I can just re bore the holes if I don't like it.  I will work on this this weekend and post some pics later.

That sound like a good idea to me  :salute:
I wonder where we can buy Glow powder?  :think:
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 11:59:21 AM

That sound like a good idea to me  :salute:
I wonder where we can buy Glow powder?  :think:

mix glow in the dark paint with the putty?

i dont know  ??? you tryed google?
I

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 12:03:02 PM
Not yet Mate but its early and it is easier to ask on here  :-[
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 12:08:04 PM
I

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 12:16:17 PM
 :cheers:

Thanks for that Ryan!

I'm off for a bacon sarni now :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

de Offline Shorty66

Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 12:27:59 PM
Glowpowder is a really nice idea.
If you wan to mod your skeletool anyway you should have a look at my mods:
Especially the Bit-Holder mod to hold T-shank baldes is easy.

I have a TTi and always thought that its to big. Than i evaluated what tools of the TTi i really use and need and came to the conclusion, that a skeletool with scissors and t-shank holder (to hold the LM Diamond file) would cover all my needs in a much smaller package.

Now i do edc the modded Skeletool even in light summer pants - that didnt been too comfortable with my TTi.
T - `cause i like tea :)

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 12:55:51 PM

I'm in full agreement :tu:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 10:09:51 AM

I'm in full agreement :tu:
+1

Zeno, Thanks for the great idea! I have ordered some Glow powder   :tu:
Ryan, Thanks for the link  :salute:
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 01:21:00 PM
I bet mr piggy isn't thanking me :D
I

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 02:19:55 PM
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Mr Piggy is 25quid lighter thanks to you Mate  :twak:

I'm now looking for a syringe to squeeze the glue/glow in to the places I want it  ::)
Everything’s adjustable

Offline zeno

Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 03:10:20 PM
Ok guys, I tried the mod this weekend and here is the low down.  While adding the epoxy/glow powder mix works well with the small holes it does not work very well with the larger holes.  The reason it doesn't work particularly well with the large holes is do to the fact that there there isn't much thickness of the skeletool for the epoxy to hold on too for that large an area.  A good hard push with the thumb and you pop out a nice circular glow dot.  I will try and post some pics when I get chance.

Offline zeno

Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 03:19:50 PM
Glowpowder is a really nice idea.
If you wan to mod your skeletool anyway you should have a look at my mods:
Especially the Bit-Holder mod to hold T-shank baldes is easy.

I have a TTi and always thought that its to big. Than i evaluated what tools of the TTi i really use and need and came to the conclusion, that a skeletool with scissors and t-shank holder (to hold the LM Diamond file) would cover all my needs in a much smaller package.

Now i do edc the modded Skeletool even in light summer pants - that didnt been too comfortable with my TTi.
Shorty, I just checked out you mods and all I can say is, "wow!" :tu:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #24 on: April 27, 2010, 02:57:05 AM
I had a Skele for a while, and I really loved the blade and pliers as quick use tools, especially to back up my blast.  Problem I had with the tool was everytime I would use it as a screwdriver, the blade would come open enough to cut me on more than one occasion.  I guess a freestyle may be in my future, but I only like to carry two tools and right now my Charge and Vic cybertool are taking the cake.  I have an ALX that I have started to use like crazy(just got it from dennis), but I think I may get a TTI for off duty carry because I don't need dual bit drivers outside of work.  Anyway, great deal on your Skeletool, that was a colorful enunciation of a find!

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #25 on: April 27, 2010, 11:44:53 AM
Congrats on the deal man. I love the CX, it was my EDC for a while, until I got my SURGE!, and is now my EDC again since I lost my SURGE!. The blade is easy to find and get to, sharp, holds an edge forever and cleans easily. And I have not had the screwdriver use to cause the blade to open... that sounds strange, as my hand holds the blade in... :think:
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #26 on: April 27, 2010, 01:18:19 PM
Congrats on the deal man. I love the CX, it was my EDC for a while, until I got my SURGE!, and is now my EDC again since I lost my SURGE!. The blade is easy to find and get to, sharp, holds an edge forever and cleans easily. And I have not had the screwdriver use to cause the blade to open... that sounds strange, as my hand holds the blade in... :think:

Under normal twisting IE just tightening a screw, you're right, your hand DOES hold the blade in.  But when you are screwing in a long screw fast, or putting in a really tough one, your thumb tends to hit the "spider hole" as it were, causing the blade to come open.  It never does it when I am loosening a screw, just tightening.  It may just be that I have a weird grip, I don't know.   :P

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 02:47:03 PM
I often wish I still had mine , I miss it , classy little piece .

Chris

Offline wild_weasel

Reply #28 on: April 28, 2010, 04:35:54 AM
The original all stainless Skeletool in now my EDC here in Afghanistan.  I started out with and SOG PowerAssist and Benchmade AFO II, but wanted to reduce the weight and bulk in my pockets.  Reviewing my requirements I needed a large common screw driver for opening access panels, cutters for tie raps, and a knife for opening boxes and general utility.  The Skeletool meets 80% of my needs before I have to get out my tool bag.  My only gripe with the Skeletool is that the edge on the knife from the factory is crap, but can be cleaned up with time and an Arkansas stone.  It now rides in the magazine pocket the front of my 5.11 Cargo Pants with a lanyard from Scotts Knots. 

I also purchased the accessory bit kit which has come in handy on several occasions here needing an odd driver.  The Benchmade maintenance kit’s torx bits also fit the Skeletool allowing me to clean and adjust this handy tool.

Cheers,
W-W

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: April 28, 2010, 07:00:19 AM
The original all stainless Skeletool in now my EDC here in Afghanistan.  I started out with and SOG PowerAssist and Benchmade AFO II, but wanted to reduce the weight and bulk in my pockets.  Reviewing my requirements I needed a large common screw driver for opening access panels, cutters for tie raps, and a knife for opening boxes and general utility.  The Skeletool meets 80% of my needs before I have to get out my tool bag.  My only gripe with the Skeletool is that the edge on the knife from the factory is crap, but can be cleaned up with time and an Arkansas stone.  It now rides in the magazine pocket the front of my 5.11 Cargo Pants with a lanyard from Scotts Knots. 

I also purchased the accessory bit kit which has come in handy on several occasions here needing an odd driver.  The Benchmade maintenance kit’s torx bits also fit the Skeletool allowing me to clean and adjust this handy tool.

Cheers,
W-W

Glad to hear it's serving you well in the sandbox :salute: The factory edge is crap as you've said, but the blade steel is very easy to sharpen to a scary sharp edge which lasts through a decent amount of cutting :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%